Fordmods Logo

Rear power window stuffed.. HELLLP!! 

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Rear power window stuffed.. HELLLP!!
Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:16 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF XR8

VIC, Australia

Hi Guys,

We just got our EF back from the Tint "Professor". They've broken our rear power window. It now hangs half way down and wont stay up. Took off the door card and had a look and it seems to be a broken cable/plastic guide thingy.

Couple questions:
1. Is it hard to change over the regulator?
2. Is it possible to swap my non-power window from my XR8 into my wifes power window EF? I just need to keep it up..

She's driving to the city tomorrow and doesn't like the heavy clutch in my XR8, and still not confident enough driving a manual.

Appreciate your help!!!

Cheers

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF Falcon

QLD, Australia

1. Not really
2. Yes

Elaboration:
1. The hardest bit that i found getting out window regs is the rivets which hold on either the motor or the winder (auto or manual windows obviously) The rivets arent actually rivets, they are monobolts and have a high tensile steel centre. See my other thread (i'll find the link for you in a tick) for ways to get it out

2. The regs are a straight swap over and will work fine. just get someone to hold the window up for you when you take out the reg, dont want it to drop and break.

Nicco's M112 Blown, T-56 equipped EF
forums/viewtopic.php?t=68319

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopi ... ight=power
towards the end of the first page and start of second page

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopi ... highlight=
whole topic

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:39 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Crap. Hoping it'd be easier lol.

So let's say I manage to get the little bastard rivets off, how would I fasten the replacement back on? is it even required?

Scuse my ignorance!!

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

thats cool. its actually a peice of piss (expect those friggin rivets *waves fist* :lol: )

yeah, you definitely need to fasten the new winder in place, other wise you still wont be able to wind. i just used 5mm allen head bolts with 10mm nuts and a washer to hold it on. i think i bought 20 sets (nut, bolt and washer) for about $4 from a bolt store.

just keep in mind that the shaft of the bolt has to be less than 20mm (from the power window conversion tech doco) otherwise it may scrape on the window

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:40 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I just used any bolt and nut combination so long as the thread wasn't long and that the nut actually held the winder in place.

Question, why don't you take it back to the tinting place and ask them wtf they did?

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:46 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Hmmm, might give it a go, but just a little concerned I'm gonna stuff something! Then again, no guts, no glory.

Thankfully there's a ford wrecker about 5 minutes away that fits parts so if all goes to hell I'll pop on in there lol.

I got a 6 inch angle grinder, but that maybe a little clumsy... Found 5mm phillip-head bolts (15mm shafts), with 8mm nuts. Will they work?

Might try and source a 2nd hand regulator instead of the swap over though... missus got out of driving.

Thanks for your help nicco! Appreciate it!

I love this site!!

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:51 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

No need for an angle grinder :P. Just a drill bit that is big enough to drill through the rivets without damaging the door frame. I would give you a lending hand if I was out your way and if I wasn't going to get my cam dialed in.

Second hand regulators shouldn't cost too much. I have spare electric actuators but not the whole winder set.

I think 8mm bolts/nuts is fine and a 15mm shaft is also fine. Use a washer with them if you could.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AUII Fairmont

WA, Australia

Pull the door trim off, just underneath the sill there is a hole (it's there so you can get a socket in and undo the glass from the reg) - wedge a screwdriver in there underneath the glass. That will hold it up until you get a chance to replace the reg.

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:14 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Bloody tinters!! don't get me started. I was at work so i missed out on all the "fun". But they came and picked up the car and left a courtesy car. It came back, and the rear window was half way down.

so my wife asks wtf??? we're not paying, you've screwed the back window. they said fine, we'll take the car!! so my wife stands behind the car so he can't leave and calls her dad, etc. anyways, we couldn't really get out of not paying, bt a few phone calls later and the tinters said they're more than happy to pay to fix it if we can prove it was them who broke it (like THAT is going to happen).

Anyways, we're actually quite happy with the results.. the tint looks awesome! Just a shame bout the window.

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

benj78 wrote:
Hmmm, might give it a go, but just a little concerned I'm gonna stuff something! Then again, no guts, no glory.

do it!! you'll do it easily.

benj78 wrote:
I got a 6 inch angle grinder, but that maybe a little clumsy... Found 5mm phillip-head bolts (15mm shafts), with 8mm nuts. Will they work?
Bolts will be fine. And with the grinder, take your time and try not to slice your door open! :lol:

benj78 wrote:
Might try and source a 2nd hand regulator instead of the swap over though... missus got out of driving.
This could work too. When you get a new one, check that it is in god condition. Putting manual winder in will get you out of trouble though.

benj78 wrote:
Thanks for your help nicco! Appreciate it!
No worries man.

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

phongus - gotta remember that the centre are high tensile steel, they will blunt even good quality drill bits very quickly. I think the advice to me was if i really do need to drill them, go very slowly, might get away with it.

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:47 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

TwistedEL wrote:
Pull the door trim off, just underneath the sill there is a hole (it's there so you can get a socket in and undo the glass from the reg) - wedge a screwdriver in there underneath the glass. That will hold it up until you get a chance to replace the reg.

Thanks for the idea TwistedEL!

I've wedged the window shut so that'll get me through to the weekend when I have no time to fix it :evil: Gotta a bucks day/night to go to :D

I can sense an RDO in the not-to-distant future :wink:

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:49 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

to be fair to the tint shop, if the cable is broken there is no way in the course of tinting windows they could cause it to snap the cable. It is a common failure on E series cars it it could just be bad luck that in the moving the windows up and down the cable snapped. If that makes sense?

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:55 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Yeah that's what the ford wrecker said too. The tinters said that they don't need to put the windows up and down, but they also said that they couldn't move the window so they forced it down and broke it.

But, I know they were pretty dodgy and stiff - very reluctant to go down. So I'm not overly p****d. s**t happens, we deal with it, and move on.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next