Fordmods Logo

Red LED conversion problem 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: Red LED conversion problem
Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:07 am 
Parts Gopher
Offline
User avatar

Age: 40

Posts: 56

Joined: 6th Jan 2005

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: XH XR6 UTE

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

Help everyone,
Im looking at doing a red LED conversion on my XH Xr6 ute.
Never attempted a LED conversion before but have read all the threads on here (30 bazillion last count...)
For a red conversion am I able to just change the filter cards? If so where abouts on the cluster are they. Ive already pulled apart the dash and checked it out and couldnt see where they were, mind you it was done at night, might have missed it.
Am I just able to swap the cluster globes out for red ones? I would have thought this would have given me a much darker glow than the clear white ones.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers

 

_________________

See Ya on the road Scag...see ya on the road.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Red LED conversion problem
Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:22 am 
Technical Contributor
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 6047

Joined: 12th Nov 2004

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

claytonxr6 wrote:
Help everyone,
Im looking at doing a red LED conversion on my XH Xr6 ute.
Never attempted a LED conversion before but have read all the threads on here (30 bazillion last count...)
For a red conversion am I able to just change the filter cards? If so where abouts on the cluster are they. Ive already pulled apart the dash and checked it out and couldnt see where they were, mind you it was done at night, might have missed it.
Am I just able to swap the cluster globes out for red ones? I would have thought this would have given me a much darker glow than the clear white ones.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers


Firstly, I ave never seen anXH cluster. The advice I can give you is based on my EF and my mates EL. He did the RED conversion and I did blue.

Secondly we used Narva LED globes. SImple plug and play on the EF/EL dash.

I found the red to be really abd especially at dusk. When I drove his car I struggled to read it, but that may just be me used to a blue dash. He put a globe behind his odo readout and turned it read but the globe doesnt spread the light enough and looks average. Thats the only spot you would cahnge the filter.

Like I said I dont know about an XH dash but I hope that helps.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:54 am 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 53

Posts: 5589

Joined: 14th Jan 2005

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

Location: South Coast
NSW, Australia

Depending on whether the above XH is series I or II, it will be an EF or EL mid series dash. If you've read the LED forums, you would already have found the doco - what may not be apparent is there is another doco for changing the filters: http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=25 .

 

_________________

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:15 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Posts: 148

Joined: 14th May 2005

Location: New South Wales
NSW, Australia

Just wondering if you have had any progression on the red LED's. I'm looking at doing the same to my XH XR6 (blue LED) and want to see what problems you encounter. Cheers CDS70
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:04 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 1000491

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

red is the best
mine is so easy to read :)

best bet if u are useing LEDs is to base your calculations on a 14-15v supply
not 12 volt
as this is the voltage the alt puts out :)
and then your leds wont burn out so much

 

_________________

RIP SCOTT

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:08 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline
User avatar

Age: 40

Posts: 56

Joined: 6th Jan 2005

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: XH XR6 UTE

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

mixed results on my red conversion so far, the dash looks great (pics to follow) but Ive stuffed my odometer reading - looks like my ks now are in hyrogliphics. I was suprised how easy it was to remove my cluster, a matter of 4 screws from start to finish really and took about 10 mins to remove. I think I buggered my oil pressure gauge too.
Either way Im not done yet but I would advise take EXTRA care when changing your filter on your odometer.

 

_________________

See Ya on the road Scag...see ya on the road.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 12:20 am 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Posts: 148

Joined: 14th May 2005

Location: New South Wales
NSW, Australia

Sounds like you have had a couple of problems. What did you do to the oil gauge and the km's. ARe you going to be able to fix them? Pics would be good when you get a chance.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 2:21 am 
Technical Contributor
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 6047

Joined: 12th Nov 2004

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

Disco Frank wrote:
red is the best
mine is so easy to read :)

best bet if u are useing LEDs is to base your calculations on a 14-15v supply
not 12 volt
as this is the voltage the alt puts out :)
and then your leds wont burn out so much


You reckon? My mate has his EL done with those red LED globes and its looks less clear then my lue one.h
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:16 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 1000491

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

twirqurky wrote:
Disco Frank wrote:
red is the best
mine is so easy to read :)

best bet if u are useing LEDs is to base your calculations on a 14-15v supply
not 12 volt
as this is the voltage the alt puts out :)
and then your leds wont burn out so much


You reckon? My mate has his EL done with those red LED globes and its looks less clear then my lue one.h


yer man mine is hell easy to read nice and soft on the eyes

i know a few ppl who have put red in the ef/el and does not seem to work as good as blue..

i know bomber ( mark ) has red in his AU as well and work good

 

_________________

RIP SCOTT

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 1:39 am 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline
User avatar

Age: 30

Posts: 18

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

Ride: 1996 EF GLi

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

i recon id prefer blue aswell, how much do the leds cost? and where can i pick em up? Jaycar or sumthing?

Since i have my dash in bits now, (i was bathing it all clean cuz of spilt coke.. lol) i might as well whip out the cluster nd do it.

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:42 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 6047

Joined: 12th Nov 2004

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

smpEF wrote:
i recon id prefer blue aswell, how much do the leds cost? and where can i pick em up? Jaycar or sumthing?

Since i have my dash in bits now, (i was bathing it all clean cuz of spilt coke.. lol) i might as well whip out the cluster nd do it.


Order Narva LED bulbs if your lazy like me.
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:10 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names