Fordmods Logo

Replacing grey plastic interior bits in BA XT 

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Replacing grey plastic interior bits in BA XT
Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Ford Falcon BA XT

VIC, Australia

I was wondering if anyone here has changed their grey BA XT interior bottom half with black (excluding the seats/door trim/carpet)… I’m talking about foot wells, door mantle trim, glove compartment, fuse box cover and the centre console sides (they’re grey in most XT’s)

I’ve been told the centre console needs to be fully changed over as it’s a solid unit…

Attachments:
File comment: Grey bits around the centre console and down around the feet area - Xr6's are in black -
IMG_9198(lower).jpg
IMG_9198(lower).jpg [ 461.48 KiB | Viewed 300 times ]

Post subject: Re: Replacing grey plastic interior bits in BA XT
Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:04 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BA XLS Ute

VIC, Australia

I'm sure lots of people have... What are you asking? Would you like to know what it looks like? How much it cost? Or... ? And you would you exclude the door trims? Would look a bit weird if everything else was black.. But i guess thats just my opinion.

Cheers Paul.

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:14 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

I’ve got the bits and pieces being stripped out during the week, paying/collecting on Friday.

I’m avoiding the door trims and seats for the time being because I’m still working out which ones I want – Fairmont seats/trim, or FPV seats/trim… or Xr6 seats/trim… hell, maybe go Fairmont leather with xr6 lightening door trim. (It might even look good with grey/black)… there’s too much grey in the car.

I’m just wondering how the hell I start going about the switch… some plastic clicks out, how to remove the centre console, glove box (there are other threads, I’m aware)… and if it’s possible to avoid removing the dashboard… HAHAHA.

all opinions are welcome mate.

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:37 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Ah, ok. Well I’ve had pretty much everything out at one stage or another. You should be able to do the swap without taking the dash out. Although mine was black so not sure what parts of the actual dash are not black, but I would suggest that you should be able to swap most parts. As for where to start and how.... All I can say is be gentle and start where ever.. lol When I took the centre console I had my seats out and that made it real easy and from memory the hand break needs to come off to get it out which means seats out... But someone else might be able to confirm that... It's been a while.
B pillar - trims take the top half (where seat belt shoulder mount is) off first, staring by pulling from the top, held in with clips and has tags that slot in the bottom. I broke mine the first time.. :(

If you take the dash spears off, remove the panels on the ends where the doors close against as the spears have a tag that unclips at that end; rest is just clips that pull out. Broke mine that first time…

But like i said be gentle and just start pulling stuff out... When you get stuck or you're unsure jump on and ask/search for a specific part. Good luck!

Cheers Paul.

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:52 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

I love what you've done. - If i reconfigure my words around, the dash is black, it's the glove box that isn't... (but that comes off separately)

The centre console bits, if you look at the side walls, yours would be black, and they follow the middle down to your feet (left) - that's where I need to take the centre console off, and apparently the dash for the side bits... that sit around the door area, around up near the accelerator and around the seat sides (where I keep dropping chips... the bastards)

I'll figure it out slowly, do as much as I can before having to deem my car in-operational for the rest...

I love doing things like this, I don't jump into things blind, I take 60 different opinions and hassle the s**t out of people who'd possibly know... it's the only way of being sure. haha

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:10 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

LNR123 wrote:
I love what you've done. - If i reconfigure my words around, the dash is black, it's the glove box that isn't... (but that comes off separately)

The centre console bits, if you look at the side walls, yours would be black, and they follow the middle down to your feet (left) - that's where I need to take the centre console off, and apparently the dash for the side bits... that sit around the door area, around up near the accelerator and around the seat sides (where I keep dropping chips... the bastards)

I'll figure it out slowly, do as much as I can before having to deem my car in-operational for the rest...

I love doing things like this, I don't jump into things blind, I take 60 different opinions and hassle the s**t out of people who'd possibly know... it's the only way of being sure. haha

Yep, the glove box, fuse panel cover, kick panels, center console (one whole piece), b pillar lower trims and whatever else in the rear (I have a ute so not sure) should be a simple straight swap. What I’m not sure about is the lower section of the dash where is joins the console; I would suggest that it’s part of the dash… But I’m not sure, I’d say take the console out, take the ICC out and the maybe you can separate it from the dash?!?!
I usually just pull s**t out and if it breaks… ebay is your friend! Lol

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

I'm going to feat out as much of the stuff before I get into the serious area's like the console.

Take it one step at a time and try not to break anything, the back seat is basically just the kick panels (which I assume go along the door inner side near your feet) and some seat areas... no big deal there, I'll figure out the seat plastic first, work around the doors... I don't care if it's half done for a while, anyone asks... W.I.P

I'll try and keep this up to date, I'm a shocker for remembering things.

Besides making my car look like a XR6/XT/Fairmont Ghia cross... I say it's time for an interior CROSS over...

Got Xr6 cluster/ICC(blue) already, now adding black.

Attachments:
File comment: Front (Fairmont Ghia style)
IMG_9194(lower).jpg
IMG_9194(lower).jpg [ 475.39 KiB | Viewed 278 times ]
File comment: Back/sides - Xr6 skirts/Fairmont Ghia boot garnish/chrome strips
IMG_9186(lower).jpg
IMG_9186(lower).jpg [ 422.88 KiB | Viewed 230 times ]

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:44 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Dive in head first and just do it! :) not like you can't replace anything if you break it! So you've already got an XR ICC? I've got a spare single zone small screen blue XR unit sitting in the cupboard.. And a few FPV clusters! :wink: Let me know if you need anything... Sent you a PM about an interior... Money well spent if you get it, otherwise i might just buy it and do interior version 4 in the ute! :lol:
Cheers Paul.

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Vixen Red 09 FG XT

QLD, Australia

I have a second falcon, and I've just started doing the exact same thing! I got it off a mate for $100, as the transmission was rooted (easily fixed as I'm doing a 5sp conversion shortly, and the auto can drop straight into the second car).

Basically, I've pulled out all the plastics, given them a clean and a light sand to get rid of scratches etc. I've sprayed them all silver to match the color of the car. The ICC can be easily pulled out, and the fascia itself removed, and then painted with little hassles. Looks amazing. I'm only half way through the transplant of interior parts, but once done I'll send a few pics.

VIXEN FG XT Previous best - 14.431 @ 99.69mph with minor mods
Currently 14.235 @ 101mph same mods. Bring on the 13's!

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

BAXLS03 wrote:
Dive in head first and just do it! :) not like you can't replace anything if you break it! So you've already got an XR ICC? I've got a spare single zone small screen blue XR unit sitting in the cupboard.. And a few FPV clusters! :wink: Let me know if you need anything... Sent you a PM about an interior... Money well spent if you get it, otherwise i might just buy it and do interior version 4 in the ute! :lol:
Cheers Paul.

Is that the one that his trip info on the display? I've got the Hi-Series XR Cluster with Police Mode, so I need to upgrade the ICC in order to get trip information. Just not sure which ICC I have to get lol

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:39 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

TheKrazeD wrote:
BAXLS03 wrote:
Cheers Paul.

Is that the one that his trip info on the display? I've got the Hi-Series XR Cluster with Police Mode, so I need to upgrade the ICC in order to get trip information. Just not sure which ICC I have to get lol

Nah, it's just a standard unit, you need a dual zone to get trip display. I do have a low series FPV cluster with trip display, shift alert, police mode and zero kms... :D

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I'll just do the dual zone conversion. Will look nice anyway :)

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

I've got trim time/distance/average fuel consumption on my cluster - the ICC is just the Pov Pack Xr6 blue. You can see the Xr6 cluster in my interior shot hahaha.

I don't know what the FPV cluster looks like (colour wise) I've seen some with two temp gauges, not the best idea. When I get the parts on Friday, and if I've got the weekend/following week mostly free I'll be working on the non essential parts of the conversion...

Mr KrazeD - Make sure to upload the before/after photo's, anything is helpful, even images - I've got some friends willing to give me a hand, but I love diving into to things, as long as I've got enough information on how to do it. I've got to start at the bottom and learn my way up... doing something big for the first time is nervous... I've seen some disasters of mistakes... someone broke their Dashboard holder/clips... wouldn't sit back where it was supposed to, even after repairing it, it was sticking out more on one side than the other...

Quote:
Hi-series?

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:46 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

LNR123 wrote:
Quote:
Hi-series?

Hi-series clusters are from cars with dual zone ICC's, where the trip function buttons are the have + - cluster brightness and where the trip display is they have other functions like door ajar and washer bottle water level... Things like that.

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Hi-Series is an XR or Fairmont with Dual Zone Climate Control. Has the fancy colour screen etc.

Mate, I'll be able to get photo's of the interior as it looks right now. Then once I've finished fitting all the painted parts, I'll take photo's of how I took the existing parts off etc, so you don't go breaking anything ;) It does help, when you have a donor vehicle, that you can take parts off and spray without having a car with half an interior lol

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next