Fordmods Logo

Reshaping factory seats? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Reshaping factory seats?
Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Does anyone know what it costs roughly to have seats reshaped into something more supportive?

I want to use the stock seats as a base so I dont need to have the car engineered like I would need to with racing seats.

I basically want to make the front seats more supportive and retrim all of the seats in leather at the same time.

Does anyone have any recommendations for who to go see in or near Melbourne?

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

as far as making them more support as are...not worth it dude costs would be stupid...however would be round about the same to buy after market seats and mount them to the existing factroy rails...there is still some engineering side to it as ive gone thru similair lately myself - well still ongoing but theres alot more to it....or keep the standard base....get buckets remove the bases and the top to the existing base again tho i dont see the diff between this and the first option...then if you wish retrim in leather...

since you dont care for the exisitng fabric and plan to go full leather...SAAS do some nice race style seats...with ideal support very cheap....theres another brand..O something but cant think of it off the top of my head that would also be fine for this mod.

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Theres also a post in the wanted forum - a guy looking for buckets and a VIC member posted this...

camh1980 wrote:
D'oh! I can get you a pair of front door trims ($18 the pair) and bucket seats for $72 the pair. The problem, I am in Melbourne. Call MJR in Albury, see how you go.

Could also be a cheap seating option to then make looks smick in leather...if there any good i dunno..another avenue anyways.

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:30 am 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

What seats the AIT get anyway Dan?
You could look at doing something like EFFalcon did.
That's turned out well, and it's comfy to sit in :D
Otherwise only thing I can suggest is looking through yellow pages for a motor trimmer, and actually talking to a few of them to see what they can do.
Only one I know of is in Braybrook, can't remember what it's called but he's done the vinyl seats in our boat, dads Austin Healey, and also retrimmed the bolster of an ED XR seat for me, and repaired a broken rail.
Did good work, if I can find his number I'll post it up.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

im sure any professional automotive trimmer tho should be able to beef up the support since your re-trimming tho ... Id just make a few calls....

See who JETXR's were done by i think they were really reputable...teqam jet speed did the body kit and alot of the custom work...not sure if they did interior stuff tho in regards to the seats and trim.

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thanks guys, that helps a lot.

The AIT just has EA fairmont ghia seats.

Auto Image did JETXR's interior. I have sent them an email asking about prices.

The price for a retrim is approx $1500-$2000 for leather. Im happy with that but there isnt much point unless the seats are really comfy.

Using racing seats will likely end up the best way but I dont want to give the police another excuse to defect me. If I spend the cash getting them retrimmed I dont want to have to remove them to get the car RWC.

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Dansedgli wrote:
Thanks guys, that helps a lot.

Using racing seats will likely end up the best way but I dont want to give the police another excuse to defect me. If I spend the cash getting them retrimmed I dont want to have to remove them to get the car RWC.

no probs and yeh I think aftermart race seats will be the best option....depending on what you can get engineering done for...and purchase the seats for you "could" hav B series GTP standard or Lemans upgrade seats retro fitted to the existing rails...which to cops i spose then wouldnt have there ose so out of joint....but yeh youd need to talk to someone who knows the local VIC ADR legislation and so ..on...im sure with ya previoous projects :P youve dealt with engineers b4...just give them a quick call to ask ... about legalities with hose options.

In the end your planning to modify a standard fitted item and replace with soemthing non-standard...so their could be dramas but the extent your going to they may not see an issue.

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

From my dealings with local engineers the problem with trying to get stuff engineered down here is that the engineers only engineer the whole car. They wont certify certain parts of a car.

This adds $800 to the cost of the racing seats. :(

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Dansedgli wrote:
From my dealings with local engineers the problem with trying to get stuff engineered down here is that the engineers only engineer the whole car. They wont certify certain parts of a car.

This adds $800 to the cost of the racing seats. :(

well what else is done to the car...im going thru the same deal - whole car and mines $600...and thats with some odd ball stuff in there..spose no engine mods tho...

Well post up here if anyone knows any engineers or ppl who might, that will look at engineering a specific aspect or component....maybe cheaper 2 as $800 thats an expensive report.

Main reason why they choose for whole car is it will save you later as individual slips inolve seperate callouts inspections etc so getting it all done at once is a bonus (unless ya hiding dodgy stuff dan :) ) ... plus something on its own in itself may be certifiable without any drama but it may indirectly effect something else that could contradict or impact on certify the original component....I know in this case it doesnt apply as its just seats but yeh.

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Ive removed all of the standard turbo stuff and put in a GT3540, tial wastegate, 660cc injectors, 300*600*100 cooler and an EMS 8860. They will make me get an emissons test. :(

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Dansedgli wrote:
Ive removed all of the standard turbo stuff and put in a GT3540, tial wastegate, 660cc injectors, 300*600*100 cooler and an EMS 8860. They will make me get an emissons test. :(

yeh i know :P ... be cheaper to have it engineereed and regod in NSW for 3 moths since emissions test is free then rego back in VIC...that 2/3K is a joke....if that idea is even possible....just fix the emissions ya lazy s**t :P...get some massive smick cat on their or something and change it after ya pass....plenty of tubo cars legally regod and engineered in VIC...have you spoke with Aaron ? (pyroay)...did he have to pay for that test..i dunno if he did

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

He hasnt done the test.

There isnt plenty of engineered turbo cars here at all.

Passing the emissions test is easy, its the $2000 test to get there that annoys me.

Im not paying $2000 for an emissions test, $800 for an engineers cert just so I can spend another $2000 on seats for a car that only goes to the track, dyno days and on cruises occasionally.

NSW engineers cant be transferred to Vic.

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Dansedgli wrote:
He hasnt done the test.

Passing the emissions test is easy, its the $2000 test to get there that annoys me.

Im not paying $2000 for an emissions test, $800 for an engineers cert just so I can spend another $2000 on seats for a car that only goes to the track, dyno days and on cruises occasionally.

ok i thought aarons cars was fully engineered and street legal ???

and what do u mean NSW engineers isnt transferable to VIC ??? any legit engineers approval and accompanying paper work is suppost to be valid in very state n territory unless the mods done and certified has a special note attached in other states sorta thing...all the stuff ive had done or bout to have ticked off finally were done so i can move my car from ACT to WA and have it registered and whats been done here is transferable etc there.

I dont have to pay anything again when i move there so id look into that mate.

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Ive got a blue plate for seats on my car from QLD. The seats were removed before I bought it.

Both people that I took my car to, to get a RWC at said I needed a Vic engineers certificate to replace it if I wanted to run racing seats.

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

Big Kev wrote:
Dansedgli wrote:
He hasnt done the test.

ok i thought aarons cars was fully engineered and street legal ???

and what do u mean NSW engineers isnt transferable to VIC ??? any legit engineers approval and accompanying paper work is suppost to be valid in very state n territory unless the mods done and certified has a special note attached in other states sorta thing...all the stuff ive had done or bout to have ticked off finally were done so i can move my car from ACT to WA and have it registered and whats been done here is transferable etc there.

I dont have to pay anything again when i move there so id look into that mate.

PYROAY isnt engineered.

for an engineered car to be legal in vic, it needs to engineered by a registered vicroads engineer (VASS scheme)

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next