Fordmods Logo

Smart Lock Probs... 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: Smart Lock Probs...
Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:50 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: ED Futura Classic & EF Futura SW

VIC, Australia

I have been looking in the smart lock sticky and was unable to find solution. Just keep in mind that i run into this prob a bit, But not on a regular basis.
When i stick the key in the ignition the CD player comes on, the cluster comes on, a "!" shows up on the cluster but the car wont start. So i think that it is the immobiliser. I read the topic about the interior light fuse in EFs and that seems to be working fine so it must be that the immobiliser is just on it's way out. I called the local ford dealer told him the problem he said what he thinks i may be but i forgot what he said it was. The ford dealer wants to charge me $560 to fix it and judging by the work they did on my mum old EA they aint gunna fix it just replace it with a new one and i dont want to pay $560 to replace when i can spend $100-$200 to fix it.
So any ideas on what it might be? or should i just go to pick-a-part or some place like that and get a used one?

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

if it is the smartlock system causing the problem, you can replace the BEM or you can bypass the smartlock altogether, really depends what the main problem is though. Have you tried hitting the crash pad when trying to start the car to see if that makes any difference (common problem in earlier models)

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

66 coupe wrote:
if it is the smartlock system causing the problem, you can replace the BEM or you can bypass the smartlock altogether, really depends what the main problem is though. Have you tried hitting the crash pad when trying to start the car to see if that makes any difference (common problem in earlier models)

If its the BEM thats the probs i've got one here $20 if he wants

Your all a bunch of f**k Heads delete this f**k account stupid useless C*** who run this site cant even sell something useless wankers

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:02 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

The '!' light is the Handbrake symbol.

Theres 3 main causes for the 'non' starting problem.

1: BEM (cheap and easy to replace)

2: Inhibitor switch on the Auto (neutral switch)

3: Ignition Barrel.

All 3 are quite easy to repair

Diagnosis would/could be:

1: Hitting the panel above your left knee when trying to crank.
2: Move from Park to Neutral whilst trying to crank.
3: Last possibility, undo the steering cover and inspect the backing plate for looseness.

Could also be voltage issue, starter etc, but my monies on opt: 1/2

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:14 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Falcon96kickass wrote:
66 coupe wrote:

Now that i think about it, it may have been the BEM the guy at the ford dealer suggested. and let me get this right, its $20 for a second hand BEM and ford want to charge me $560 to "Fix it" no wonder my old lady stopped getting her old EA serviced there :?

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:18 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Krytox wrote:
The '!' light is the Handbrake symbol.

Theres 3 main causes for the 'non' starting problem.

1: BEM (cheap and easy to replace)

2: Inhibitor switch on the Auto (neutral switch)

3: Ignition Barrel.

All 3 are quite easy to repair

Diagnosis would/could be:

1: Hitting the panel above your left knee when trying to crank.
2: Move from Park to Neutral whilst trying to crank.
3: Last possibility, undo the steering cover and inspect the backing plate for looseness.

Could also be voltage issue, starter etc, but my monies on opt: 1/2

When ever i start the car the "!" shows up, kinda like the "Check engine" light shows up on my old ladys magna :oops: the hand break shows up as "(P)"
But thanks for the other tips

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:29 pm 
Technical Contributor

VIC, Australia

ahh yes, my mistake!

In this case I would look into the barrel.

and/or investigate any codes.

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

sunbury23 wrote:
Falcon96kickass wrote:
66 coupe wrote:

Now that i think about it, it may have been the BEM the guy at the ford dealer suggested. and let me get this right, its $20 for a second hand BEM and ford want to charge me $560 to "Fix it" no wonder my old lady stopped getting her old EA serviced there :?

yeah mate $20 for second hand

Your all a bunch of f**k Heads delete this f**k account stupid useless C*** who run this site cant even sell something useless wankers

Post subject: smart lock ?
Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:07 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: xh

QLD, Australia

have you checked the starter motor i had the same problem last week

check courtesy lamp fuse and bulb
switch ignition on &check that the smart lock warning light is not flashing if the lamp is flashing proceed as follows (if not its properly not the smart)

switch the ignition and all accessories off

switch ignition on and wait 30 to 60 min for the warning light to stop flashing

after that the door locks will cycle twice start within 30 seconds or start again

check fuses and relays for starter

can give you a copy of manual (on cd)for ea eb ed (just need to find a way to send it over the internet) 1gb size

utes are for circles

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:15 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 5 images

QLD, Australia

I have the same problem with my XH at the moment. Seems to be an all to common problem. I'm not home again until next week but will be trying this one.

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

If you find it starts when hitting the dash, it may be repairable, let me know.

Post subject: Re: Smart Lock Probs...
Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:00 am 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

sunbury23 wrote:
I have been looking in the smart lock sticky and was unable to find solution. Just keep in mind that i run into this prob a bit, But not on a regular basis.
When i stick the key in the ignition the CD player comes on, the cluster comes on, a "!" shows up on the cluster but the car wont start. So i think that it is the immobiliser. I read the topic about the interior light fuse in EFs and that seems to be working fine so it must be that the immobiliser is just on it's way out. I called the local ford dealer told him the problem he said what he thinks i may be but i forgot what he said it was. The ford dealer wants to charge me $560 to fix it and judging by the work they did on my mum old EA they aint gunna fix it just replace it with a new one and i dont want to pay $560 to replace when i can spend $100-$200 to fix it.
So any ideas on what it might be? or should i just go to pick-a-part or some place like that and get a used one?

I have a decent knowledge of electrics so i was just gunna the BEM or when ever the one above ya left knee is and open it to see it it is just the circuit board just need some re soldering. is it just gunna be a simple as pulling it out and sticking it back in or do i need to get it learn the codes and stuff again?

thanks

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:39 am 
Technical Contributor

VIC, Australia

If you remove your BEM, resolder the pcb and reinsert it, you won't need to relearn the ignition barrel or fobs.

You only need to reprogram when replacing the bem or ignition barrel.

You might not see any dry joints, but going over it with a soldering iron and a little 5 core resin solder should solve the problem.

Post subject: smart lock probs...
Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:54 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

the other day i pulled the dash off to get to the smart lock and seemed to be more trouble then it was worth because i never got to the BEM because i set off the car alarm. the next day i pulled the alarm out of my car with a mate and now my smart lock seems to be working fine. Also when ever i start my car the doors don't automatically lock anymore. So my 2 questions are, Are auto locking doors a smart lock feature or the after market alarm and could it have been the after market alarm that was conflicting with my smart lock and stopping me starting the car?

thanks.

Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:12 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: NA,AU XR6,ZH,P6 LTD,EXPLORER

SA, Australia

auto locking doors are not a smartlock feature its the anti carjacking mode on the alarm

MAYBE YOU WOULD RATHER PUSH YOUR HOLDEN THAN DRIVE MY FORD AND YOU WILL PROBLY NEED TO.
H.O.L.D.E.N
HOPE
OUR
LUCK
DOESN'T
END
NOW

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]