Solar powered aircon 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Solar powered aircon
Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:22 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Au Falcon with TE50 Bodykit

VIC, Australia

Guys,

I figured when the car is sitting in the sun, the inside cooks right so why not run the aircon when the car is car is turned off. The idea i have is this. Dual battery system.

The second battery is connected with solar cells that can charge this battery.

The air con is disconnected from the drive belts and is connected to a small motor that does not draw too much power but enough to spin the aircon so that it gives out cool air into the car. The fan inside the car is also connected to this battery when helps push the air out at a certain speed.

Hence the solar cells charge the second battery which runs the motor which in turn spins the aircon. Cold air is thus produced inside the car and thus we have a car at normal- cool temp when we come back to it while leaving it for a while in the sun.

Now also thought about this. Have the second battery running to the first one so that when the car is running it charges both battery (just incase we need to use the aircon at night) and to make sure that only the second battery gets charged by the solar cells.

Ideas, thoughts are all welcome and also correct me if im wrong

What do you call a holden with twin exhaust pipes?>>>>>>>> A WHEEL BARROW .....LOL

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

Great idea, wouldn't we all love to get in a cool car after finishing work.
However I would doubt you would find a electric motor that draws few amps with enough torque to turn the compressor. Also the solar panel would take up much of the roof.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon

VIC, Australia

yeah true, the technology of the solar panels arnt good enough and small enough to keep up with a motor strong enough to turn the compressor :( good thought tho, maybe some r/d is needed ;)

Post subject: Re: Solar powered aircon
Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

devil wrote:
Guys,

I figured when the car is sitting in the sun, the inside cooks right so why not run the aircon when the car is car is turned off. The idea i have is this. Dual battery system.

The second battery is connected with solar cells that can charge this battery.

The air con is disconnected from the drive belts and is connected to a small motor that does not draw too much power but enough to spin the aircon so that it gives out cool air into the car. The fan inside the car is also connected to this battery when helps push the air out at a certain speed.

Hence the solar cells charge the second battery which runs the motor which in turn spins the aircon. Cold air is thus produced inside the car and thus we have a car at normal- cool temp when we come back to it while leaving it for a while in the sun.

Now also thought about this. Have the second battery running to the first one so that when the car is running it charges both battery (just incase we need to use the aircon at night) and to make sure that only the second battery gets charged by the solar cells.

Ideas, thoughts are all welcome and also correct me if im wrong
The compressor generally require 1 to 2 HP to drive them so 1 to 2KW would be the minimum needed from the cells to do this assuming 75% efficiency. As previously noted your car would look like the solar challenge cars to make this practical. Anyway Mazda have had for a while on the old 929's a system where the climate control fan is driven to circulate external air to cool the inside. I seem to remember there was a solar cell to keep the battery charged, and there is those cheapy things that fit in your window that do the same thing
Cheers
TW.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:18 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

yer i was going to sugges what tw said

there are these small solar powered fans that u can by that fin tto the top of the window that draw the air out of the car :)

never used 1 so i am not sure how good it actually is

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:55 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Au Falcon with TE50 Bodykit

VIC, Australia

hmmm i get ya points guys. I know it will the best to get into the car after its been out in the scorcing sun and its cool inside the car but then i suppose we gota modify the roof to hold the solar cells. Then theres the challenge of finding the correct battery to suit the motor that can be used to run the compressor, but still keep your thoughts coming and we'll c where we land up with this idea

What do you call a holden with twin exhaust pipes?>>>>>>>> A WHEEL BARROW .....LOL

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

you will also need to run the radiator fans to push air across the air cond condensor otherwise it wouldn't cool the circulating gas - your power requirements are getting rather high.

My suggestion is the shade panels you put on your windscreen, park in the shade if possible, and a rear window plastic luvoir(sp?) ... that'll keep an easy 20 degrees down in your car!!! And alot cheaper!

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:15 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

louvere martin :)

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: E39 523i / EF Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Sounds like a good idea. But everyone seems to have troubles at some point with their air con when it's on when they are driving. Think they'd have even more faults if it was more constantly as you are suggesting.

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

Maybe it would be good down the track, when it is affordable, but for now, I am used to winding down all the windows and cranking up the air conditioning whilst driving to help suck out all the hot air whilst cooling the interior down, especially when you have leather seats.

Instant Karma is gonna get you!

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:13 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: NF Fairlane V8

VIC, Australia

I just installed a remote start alarm system so I can start the car 10mins before leaving work (Ahhhh nice and coool).

I think that's the cheapest and easiest option.
No real need to have the car cool for hours without anyone in it, just cool (or warm) when your set to go. :twisted:

The TORQUE Monster project begins!

Pic's, details and all the yummy stuff:
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22693

"There's no replacement for displacement!"

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:54 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BA XTS, BF Xr6 Turbo Ute

QLD, Australia

Love the idea, dont see it working for a while though. Maybe in a few years.

Ford Fan: Since 1987 - Born a Blue Oval Supporter!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]