Fordmods Logo

Sports Seat Legal Side (last Post) ADR = no piggy trouble 

Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BA XR6T

WA, Australia

If you get pulled over and get wa***r cops, hope everything goes well and they aren't just talking promotional crap.

In an unlucky state to, car regs seem to be hell there.

Good luck with it all :)

Old car burnt.
New car XR6 Turbo !!
No mods, anyone want a xr6t ?

Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: fairmont

QLD, Australia

dubbo cops are a***hole so i would get them engineered to be safe

Now i have a EF XR8 5spd.........mmmmmm 5L

Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

well when i get the plates (next payday) and fit them if i get a fine or what ever i will be walking into autobarn and tell them what happened and what the staff said etc and if not i will see a lawer :)

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF wagon & EF fairmont wagon & M

VIC, Australia

You can get original seat completely re-trimmed to be sports seats if you felt like it?
I had a boss years ago that had a brand new top of the range magna re-trimmed in leather with extra bolstering and side supports etc. It came up pretty good. He got the magna as he wanted to support local manufacturing with a company having problems staying afloat.

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:55 am 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

richard williams wrote:
You can get original seat completely re-trimmed to be sports seats if you felt like it?
I had a boss years ago that had a brand new top of the range magna re-trimmed in leather with extra bolstering and side supports etc. It came up pretty good. He got the magna as he wanted to support local manufacturing with a company having problems staying afloat.

that is a true point i have a friend who is an auto upholsterer i forgot he does alot of stuff like that but you need to make sure when they do it that they support it correctly if they just add foam with no support they drop and look s**t in a few months

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

Let me know what u need to know and I will chase it up for you - will be speaking with my engineer this weekend....

I wouldnt go off the autobarn staff saying they are ADR approved...do they come with a compliance or national adr certificate ? i doubt it.

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Big Kev wrote:
Let me know what u need to know and I will chase it up for you - will be speaking with my engineer this weekend....

I wouldnt go off the autobarn staff saying they are ADR approved...do they come with a compliance or national adr certificate ? i doubt it.

yeah i thin when i purchase the plates i will either ask for a certificate or sompliance not thing if not i will go home type up a thing say i ..... autobarn employee these seats fully compply with adr standards and don't need a engineers certi etc etc

and yeah could ask ya engineer if he knows like any rural engineers in NSW and about pricing etc etc i would ring around but dubbo don't have any car related enginneers setc etc

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:46 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

i doubt you would get anyone to sign a letter like that. I cetainly wouldnt.....

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

keithParker wrote:
i doubt you would get anyone to sign a letter like that. I cetainly wouldnt.....

well if they don't they are pretty much proving to me they are lieing through there teeth and that as soon IF i did do something like that and they said no i would return the seats get my dosh back and take the old 1 dollar pair i got of ebay to a upostlerer and get them looking like a set of really sporty seats...

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Even if autobarn signed that letter it wouldnt mean anything....and they wouldnt for a start.... only someone with the authority to legally state these comply with the ADRs could sign such a doco... and even then I dont think they could just sign a letter...

They would need to agree that the seats, adaptor plate and rails combination all comply with the various ADRs stating each code and the reference to each ADR rule number.

If autobarn state the SAAS seats are ADR approved and I did look into a set of SAAS Daytonas a while back and youd still need to hit up autobarn to liaise with their distributer or see SAAS directly to source a compliance certificate...to whether or not youd have to pay for it ..i dont know....but to get an engineers cert would be the best bet....a mod permit or compliance plate i doubt could be obtained without engineering approval anyways...rego department cant inspect a vehicle and say yes this complies without them being a registered automotive engineer.

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Do u also happen to have any details of this plate ... for mine to meet engineering requirements i had to use 3mm thick steel plate with 8mm high tensile bolts....plates were 75mmx75mm I think.

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

no i mean a letter from them that assures me that they meet as two of the salesperson said they are ADR approved and i asked them if i could quote them on that and they said yes... any way the seats i don't think they are unfortunatle because adr products must have a tag on them stating the fact (as the interent reads unless refers to aaftermarket seat belts)

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Froudey wrote:
no i mean a letter from them that assures me that they meet as two of the salesperson said they are ADR approved and i asked them if i could quote them on that and they said yes... any way the seats i don't think they are unfortunatle because adr products must have a tag on them stating the fact (as the internet reads unless refers to aaftermarket seat belts)

Yeh but what im trying to tell you is regardless of what Autobarn document for you they are not a registered authority that the registration inspectors would acknowledge...ya follow ... they can say the seat is ADR approved...and provide you with re-assurance doco a letter or watever which is soley for your proof that if an engineer knocked you back saying the seat isnt ADR approved that you could use both those info sources to get a refund..sue if there was an accident i suppose and the seat was at fault etc...that sorta stuff.

The seat itself isn the real concern as most are all manufactured from a generice base frame that is generally ADR approved. SAAS are an australian based company hence why most of their stuff is already ADR approved....the fact the seat is approved isnt everything as the installation and any other non-oem modifications have to also comply with the ADR standards and national codes.

So for now id forget about the seat - how is it being installed/attached to the factroy oem rails... you said autobarn or SAAS were providing an adaptor plate? Do you have any details on this....

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

yeah sorry mate i completly follow you now yeah the seat ain't an issue and i saw these plates that are adr approved (apparently) but they are any mad or design for the falcon or commodore etc etc but i saw them as i said all it is... is a plate of 1" and a bit flat bar with two threaded holes that bolt to the bottom of the seat and "you" need to drill two holes to correspong with ya rails... fyi these were for autotechnia ones.

so i will prolly leave the seats in the corner of the shed and wait til i go to newcastle next to get a cheap"er" priced mod plate... as bal dohnt is on holidays for 2 months and 70 and apparently charges alot (well more then normal)

but i have heard a story that it cost about 60 dollars for him to see it and about 800 for the plate or something.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Froudey wrote:
yeah sorry mate i completly follow you now yeah the seat ain't an issue and i saw these plates that are adr approved (apparently) but they are any mad or design for the falcon or commodore etc etc but i saw them as i said all it is... is a plate of 1" and a bit flat bar with two threaded holes that bolt to the bottom of the seat and "you" need to drill two holes to correspong with ya rails... fyi these were for autotechnia ones.

so i will prolly leave the seats in the corner of the shed and wait til i go to newcastle next to get a cheap"er" priced mod plate... as bal dohnt is on holidays for 2 months and 70 and apparently charges alot (well more then normal)

but i have heard a story that it cost about 60 dollars for him to see it and about 800 for the plate or something.

$800 for a plate id say is a farce rumour ... would be no where near that at all....

Engineering prices will vary and can be greatly depending on the amount of work to be performed if the engineer is also performing the fabrication work, examining the installation and prepping the paperwork.....to have my whole car done over - s**t load of things requiring ADR paper work and i havent tocuhed my engine...was just under $800 and has taken me a few months to get everything organised....so for just seating and seat mounts to be inspected and mounting plates to be fabricated I would expect this to be under $500 all up...

Good to see your doing the right thing...proper process believe me bites a*** and costs decent ppl like you and myself who do the right thing thousands more than these bodgy dyi jobs like spring hackers trying to save a few dollars do who are the reasons why we have all this legal litagation etc....

The plate I believe just needs to be solid plate and round 3mm thick and secured with high tensile bolts and nyloc nuts - you need to confirm this with a local vehicle engineer....if you want dude I can refer you onto my engineer as he resides in queanbeyan...not too big a drive for you....hes approved my aftermarket seating which has had quite abit more involved...or at least discuss it with him over the phone to discuss your requirements for the plate and rough examination/certification costs.

The seats themselves (and most likely why they say they comply with the ADR's) is ADR 3 which relates to seating strength requirements....and ADR5 which relates to the manufacturing of additional seats....

There are also local codes you will need to comply with...NSW differs from WA and ACT.... in the ACT these seats need to comply with the VSB code....sections 5A or 5B...ADRs effected are ADR3 and 5....

Using the exisiting rails has saved you loads...the adaptor plates im sure will consisit of 75mmx75mm square plate - solid steel 3mm in thickness....this wouldnt cost much and any metal fabrication joint could make them for you....the nyloc nuts and high tensile bolts are available from most major hardware retailers such as bunnings and so on.

Bolts and nuts must meet the oem requirements used in the factory setups for mounting and anchorage points.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next