Sports Seat Legal Side (last Post) ADR = no piggy trouble 

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Sports Seat Legal Side (last Post) ADR = no piggy trouble
Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

just wondering the legality and rwc wise of installing aftermartket seats. i have got a set of autobarn 299 the pair sats on pre order. and i was told that a it needs to be engeerned? wwhy is this so.. the seats have been quoted to be 95% that it will sit on the gen ford rails.

i ask why would it ned engeering if nothing is modifed like chassis or other and everything bolts up as if normal falcon seat

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Last edited by Froudey on Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

oh the car is an EB1 3.9

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

Yes still needs engineering approval as they arent the factory oem seating...regardless of if they are fitted to factory rails or not.

There are National ADR guidelines that you need to comply with along with state road laws codes ... im not sure of NSW but im sure they are very close to ACT so you need to complay with th VSB codes.

Ive gone through and still am after a few months now that ive moved from canberra to perth but luckily enough ACT and WA are the only 2 states in Australia that match up with their modified vehicle legislation...there just being really tightass pricks atm.

If you wanna know more give me a yell ive read thru almost all the ADR s**t on seat and seat anchorage modifications with my XR6 - mine tho was slightly different I was trying to get 4 buckets complied with...which involved structual modifications etc...

Yours tho would be pretty easy to get everything complied with id say.... If its just straight seats to existing factory rails and the height of the base of the seat doesnt change then engineering shouldnt cost much - and you will get an engineers report...this is waht you provide to authorities/inspections centres etc that covers the RWC bit....no other permits etc are required in NSW.

Also the model of your car is fine anything made after 1988 has to comply with the current legislation

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: fairmont

QLD, Australia

or in qld a mod plate, which shows that yes the seats are legal, comply with adrs, and wont fall off

Now i have a EF XR8 5spd.........mmmmmm 5L

Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

wicksy wrote:
or in qld a mod plate, which shows that yes the seats are legal, comply with adrs, and wont fall off

yeh compliance plate or modification permit in other states .. main thing is that any welding done meets certain requirements (will depend on the state engineering specs - discuss with the engineer)...structual rigidity/strength remains intact..... safety of the seat remains say for high speed cornering etc that u arent likey to fall off it.... seat anchorages need approval if modified...must use standard oem size 7/16 UNF bolt ... the list goes on

Have u worked out what u plan too do yet dude

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Quote:

hope fully when the seats arrive at autobarn (3 week backorder wait) i will have a look at the bases etc i have a spair set of base model EB seats with really good rails i am just hoping they bolt up to the sports oness. as i said on my first post the manager(big boss) of the local autobarn store that 95% of seats he sells just bolt up to the standard oem rails but he does sell the kits for the seats. so hope fully i won't need to f**k around welding etc etc.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Froudey wrote:
Quote:

hope fully when the seats arrive at autobarn (3 week backorder wait) i will have a look at the bases etc i have a spair set of base model EB seats with really good rails i am just hoping they bolt up to the sports oness. as i said on my first post the manager(big boss) of the local autobarn store that 95% of seats he sells just bolt up to the standard oem rails but he does sell the kits for the seats. so hope fully i won't need to f**k around welding etc etc.

Should ask if hes able to get any sort of compliance certificate for you to say these seats comply with current ADR's etc etc ... still require fitting approval but hey the more you can reduce the paper works the better for you

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Hey hey i got my seats to day i will be fitting them on the weekend (hopefully) but has any one fitted and got a "mod plate" in NSW for just the seats as i want to do it proper and yeah just after a rough price casue if it is going to ASTRONOMICAL i will put them on ebay for a small profit :P and get some XR8 seats sorted BUT

What is the price for a basic mod plate or blue plate or what it is? i have searched the google and fordmods etc etc in WA mates reackon 20 an item or something oh well i will ring around tomorrow in my lunch break

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

BUMP

I got hold of a dude that would do it but he is like 70 years old and is off 2 months long service leave or something so would the RTA depos do it and anyone that either have true price or even a stab in the dark i have been told 800 dollars or somthing like that.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Well Well Well..........

I flicked throu various s**t on this thing called the internet but to no avail.... the things i have found are different there are things floating around that if the sports seats are ADR approved and are on OEM rails and bolt the same as an OEM seat no engeering required and passes RWC

no prices on the net for a engeerning certificate or even a decent site to become accredited.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Seems like i am talking to myself :P found an ADR thing not real helpful nothing in it about sports seats

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Any ONE or are the modders on this site with sports seats running around with no mod plate or anything??

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:03 am 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

blue plates should not cost you anymore than $100 unless you need to make your own mounts from scratch
regulations for seat mods (for qld don't know about other states) are that if the seat has an adr tag and bolts to the original seat brackets with no modification at all they do not need to be complianced
if the seat has no adr tag they cannot be complianced
if the mounts require modification or are completely manufactured from scratch they will need compliancing

Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Are SAAS ADR Approved other sites say they are so it should have a tag hmmm.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Today i rang Autobarn Dubbo Asking if i could return the seats because of the engineering side of things and the lady on the phone says

"all our seats are ADR approved which means they do not need an engineering certifiicate"

I said like ok can i quote you on that and she said yes

"we do sell the rail kits for the seats"

i asked how much and she put me onto a sales bloke.

he said " with our seats they are ADR approved and we sell the ADR approved adaptor plates that bolt on the factory rails and it is legal"

he also said " with these ADR plates the bolts onto the SAAS seats and then the factory rails if i get pulled over the police can't do nothing as they are on factory rails"

So i hope this has helped some people thinking of getting aftermarket seats... but you need a Mod Plate if the rails are full/half custom job or non ADR rated seats.....

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next