Squeaks and rattles and their fixes 

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EFII Fairmont

WA, Australia

The DMac wrote:
the part i want to take out is the whole black plastic thing that is sitting on the console. its about 8 inches square. i am not just taking about the plastic with prnd321 on it.

Cheers

That's what where talking about. The entire auto trans cover plate which includes the transparent auto selector guide window.
The whole plate needs to be lifted up the selector shaft, the wires and plugs disconnected to fix the squeak I mentioned above.
BTW that plate alone can have about 4 different rattles and squeaks in it.
I even lined and thickned up the back of the long narrow plastic band (with hole in it) with electrical tape to make it stiffer and not shake around.
That worked too.

To remove mine I just dig my nails (mine aren't long, just strong :oops: )
into the edges at the power window switch end and lever it up. You won't break anything, just don't scratch the plastic with sharp steel objects like screw drivers.

I've got a million of these rattle fixes. I sometimes think the rear of the dash should be connected to little gel shock absorbers.
I should also open up a panel shop called "BUBBLE AND SQUEAK"
and charge $50.00 an hour to fix them.

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:29 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

Kit wrote:
I should also open up a panel shop called "BUBBLE AND SQUEAK" and charge $50.00 an hour to fix them.

Or you could write up a doco for the site outlining all the locations and fixes.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Another quick fix is the fuse box lid. Some of these can get noisy after a while. Electrical tape around bottom tabs that go into the slots, to bulken it up and stop it moving around. The tape is hidden inside when it's closed.

Another location for noise there is inside the fuse box right at the edge hard left, where the board the relays are on meets the lower dash. If you grab the base of the dash around there and move it side to side, you can get a horrible deep squeak there, and see that everything moves around quite a bit. The fix. Jamming a few headless match sticks into the corner between relay board and dash. Then Silicon spray between all the tiny dash tabs that hold the fuse and relay boards in place.

While you have the fuse box lid off. Remove the aircon flow adjuster set into the corner of the dash. And with a long plastic tube connected to your Silicon spray can, looking inside the dash through the hole of the air-con flow adjuster, spray the area's between where the vinyl top part of the dash, rubs up against the lower plastic part of the dash. Try and seperate the edges of the upper and lower parts of the dash by gently applying pressure where these halves meet. That way the Silicon spray will get right in between these edges where a lot noise occurs. Do the outside of these edges too. Wiping excess away with a damp cloth.

Carefully Silicon spray the edges and the corner of the speedo housing inside the dash while your in there, spray the area where the speedo meets the dash, and above it, as the plastic of the speed box rubs against the dash at the rear.

It's pedantic I know, but it works.

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: 2008 WQ Fiesta XR4

SA, Australia

Some good tips there Kit.

Maybe this could be used to make a "Dash squeaks and rattles" doco.

2008 WQ Fiesta XR4
2007 LS Focus CL

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

fairmont1998 wrote:
Some good tips there Kit.

Maybe this could be used to make a "Dash squeaks and rattles" doco.

now there is a good idea!!

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

The DMac wrote:
the part i want to take out is the whole black plastic thing that is sitting on the console. its about 8 inches square. i am not just taking about the plastic with prnd321 on it.

Cheers

In my old ea I could just lift it out with a plastic scraper, (a screwdriver may mark it) you will need to take the 'T' bar off first and the wiring to the eco-power switch is usually short and needs to be disconected from the back of the switch once you lift the cover slightly. don't forget the cable to the light bulb.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL Fairmont

QLD, Australia

I have a annoying rattle/sqeak coming from a vent somewhere, think its passenger side. Drives me nuts

Outside, i can hear everything the front and rear suspension is doing, its all stuffed haha

too many rabbits in china

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

old_mate wrote:
I have a annoying rattle/sqeak coming from a vent somewhere, think its passenger side. Drives me nuts

Outside, i can hear everything the front and rear suspension is doing, its all stuffed haha

Sometimes when the passenger side dash air-flow controller assy. is removed, to expose the dash's interior air duct, and then re-inserted back into the air duct again, sometimes the outer air flow assy. and box doesn't reccess and click back into the interior air duct piping, instead just pushing the black plastic duct furthur back and up into the dash.
So as the outside air-flow controller clicks back into place in the dash right, it pushes the duct back, instead of neatly reccessing inside and the duct sitting around air-flow assy.
Then what happens of course, when going over bumps and things, the interior duct comes into contact with parts of the inside of the dash. Making some pretty horrible noises.

If it is this, and you own an EF Series II with passenger side air-bag. Remove air-bag cover on the dash, remove air-bag assy., following the correct procedure in the manual. Remove the air-flow assy. again, Silicon spray the insides of the air duct where the air-flow box comes into contact, with one hand through the air-bag cover hole in the dash, hold the duct firmly in place as you insert the air-flow controller back into place. Making sure it clicks back into place within the duct.

Last edited by Kit on Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Well i havent ever removed anything from behind the dash, but thanks for the heads up, i'll soon go and pull it all apart :)

too many rabbits in china

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

old_mate wrote:
Well i havent ever removed anything from behind the dash, but thanks for the heads up, i'll soon go and pull it all apart :)

If your air-flow adjuster has never been removed it might not be that.
But somethings up in there. Might pay to move things around, gently bang around at certain points, even take the plate of the top to see if the dash mounts haven't cracked and broken in that corner.

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:23 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XH Ute

As you state silicon spray works well, so does the use of silcon (or what is suitable from a caulking gun) etc between panels when assembling - additionaly it helps to keep things aligned for the future.

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

lylebrown00 wrote:
As you state silicon spray works well, so does the use of silcon (or what is suitable from a caulking gun) etc between panels when assembling - additionaly it helps to keep things aligned for the future.

I have used a fair bit of Silicon in the dash. But in area's where is has gotten really hot, I've later found that the Silcion has shrunk and gone a bit hard and sticky. And I also found that then when that happens that can become a source of noise in itself. I push a panel against the Shrunken Silicon and I get a very loud plastic sticky noise from it. So I've removed some Silicon where this would occur.

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:42 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF II Fairmont

WA, Australia

The main spot I get for creaking noises now is the little cover above the steering column behind the steering wheel, sometimes gives a bit. Only real solution I have found is to give it a bit of a whack hehe 8-)

Oh and thanks for the compliment Kit, didn't see that last time mate. :wink:

Cheers :D

-charzar.

1995 EF II Fairmont
30mm lowered Lovell's springs and KYB shocks
AU XR8 snorkel

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

Happy wrote:
The DMac wrote:
how did you take the cover of the transmission thing on the console. i mean the thing with prnd321.

Cheers

yeah you can't, that is a one peice

and I actually found out how to split those two pieces now in case any cares...

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Happy wrote:
Happy wrote:
The DMac wrote:
how did you take the cover of the transmission thing on the console. i mean the thing with prnd321.

Cheers

yeah you can't, that is a one peice

and I actually found out how to split those two pieces now in case any cares...

That informations always gold Happy.
How doy you do it without breaking it?

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next