Fordmods Logo

Steering lock with remote start (no key in ignition) 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Steering lock with remote start (no key in ignition)
Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED GLi Classic

VIC, Australia

Hey.

Recently wired up remote start, and am using a button to turn on my accessories. I don't want to have to use the key at all. But without the key turned to at least accessories, the steering locks. Which wire needs to be provided power (or earth) to disable the lock? Anyone know?

Cheers!

RIP Chelsea
96 EF2 Gli - T5 / Exedy / Wade 977b / P+P / JMM Extractors, 2.5" / Port matched BBM / and more
bmICE

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

the lock cannot be disabled, it is part of the steering column and key barrel assembly.
Remote start doesnt need to have the steering lock disabled anyway. you still need to put the key in to drive the car

Post subject: Re: Steering lock with remote start (no key in ignition)
Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

braidy wrote:
Hey.

Recently wired up remote start, and am using a button to turn on my accessories. I don't want to have to use the key at all. But without the key turned to at least accessories, the steering locks. Which wire needs to be provided power (or earth) to disable the lock? Anyone know?

Cheers!

Your post is a little confusing, do you mean that you would like to remote start the car without the key in the ignition, or do you for some weird reason want the steering to be not locked i.e. car turn steering wheel without key in ignition.

If you want to be able to start the car without the key, this problem is the Smartlock system, it is contained inside the ignition barrel assemble, basically when you turn the key a IR sender/s sends three signals, the IR receiver receives these signals and passes them onto the Smartlock ECU, and unless the Smartlock ECU receives at least two of the signals known to the Smartlock ECU it doesn't pass on the signal to the engine ECU and disables the engine from starting (Well that is the basic of it).

There is a cheap way to bypass it here
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=83

Plus there is a more expensive way available where you can plug in a unit to bypass the Smartlock, someone on here will probably know where from and at what price.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Post subject: Re: Steering lock with remote start (no key in ignition)
Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Damage wrote:

Plus there is a more expensive way available where you can plug in a unit to bypass the Smartlock, someone on here will probably know where from and at what price.

Link in my sig, for the smartlock bypass modules. A lot easier than messing around with the barrel.

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Nah, sorry for the confusing post. I have already bypassed Smartlock and have remote start working. However, when I start it, I still have to put the key in and turn it to disable the steering lock. I have wired the accessories line of the barrel to a switch, and want to switch the steering lock off with the same switch (and another relay).

By this I mean, this is want I want my start process to be:

1. Unlock
2. Remote start
3. Turn accessories on and steering lock off with button

Seeing as the steering lock is disabled when the key is turned, that implies that there at least one wire in the barrel that needs to be provided power (due to the key turn), to disable the steering lock. I want to do this with the button I installed for the accessories to turn on.

RIP Chelsea
96 EF2 Gli - T5 / Exedy / Wade 977b / P+P / JMM Extractors, 2.5" / Port matched BBM / and more
bmICE

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

read the 2nd post again.
It cannot be disabled, it is not electrically operated, it is mechanically operated by the key barrel and also if you do manage to remove it, you can forget about any insurance on the vehicle.

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Ah, yeah I remember now. The bit that pops up when the key is out. Thankyou!

RIP Chelsea
bmICE

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:07 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EFII Sedan

QLD, Australia

Its an Australian Design Rule. The car must have a steering lock.

I wouldn't even contemplate modifying it either - think of what would happen if it locked up at speed.

EF II Sedan
Ex Chaser, Dual Fuel (Impco LPG)
LSD High, 3.23, Black wheels, other shiny bits.

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

One way to modify it is to leave the key out, have the door open, turn the steering wheel until you can grip it around one of the spokes really tightly, insert one foot onto the floor and push, lean back and try to lean all your weight in the opposite direction, after you hear a bang and you fall on your a***, this means you have been successful, if you are not successful get your mate to join in so both can land on your a***.

Problem solved, just watch the steering from then on, they sometimes still lock while driving at 100kmh, problem is easy to solve, just reef the wheel in the opposite direction again to get a 100kmh roll over, then your car and a high chance "you" are dead, won't need to worry about the steering lock then.

Ahh f**k sorry I couldn't help myself, why do you want to be able to do this?
You could drill out the steering lock assembly shear bolts, then probably cut the steering lock wedge off, then refit with standard bolts, yes it is illegal but so is remote starting a car, leaving a car running unattended (turbo timer) and half the mods everyone post, at least once the wedge is totally removed it will pose no danger to anyone, and hey it will make it easier for the thieves to push it onto a trailer etc :twisted:

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA Falcon Classic

WA, Australia

I've done it.

Unscrew your key barrel from the steering column (hammer and chisel - you'll work it out.) then u need to take the cover surrounding the rectangular 'pin' out. Next, remove the central shaft which turns when the key, then lift out the entire pin assembly. It's just a base with 2 springs on the bottom. then put the cover back on, go to bunnings and get some new bolts, put her back together and presto!

btw...find some way of securing your car, cause if it can be started and driven with just the keybob...thats kinda dangerous lol

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:54 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EFII Sedan

QLD, Australia

I'd prefer the steering lock in tact. Makes it harder for towies to grab your car, and makes parking on a hill a lot safer too.

EF II Sedan
Ex Chaser, Dual Fuel (Impco LPG)
LSD High, 3.23, Black wheels, other shiny bits.

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA Falcon Classic

WA, Australia

yea but u gotta admit that its awesome to just press a button, jump in and drive away.

and its not like anyone counts on the lack of steering lock, or an immoboliser for that matter, so if your car is targeted by towies, you are pretty dam unlucky to start with..lol

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]