Tappimg into Fuse Box 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: Tappimg into Fuse Box
Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:30 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Falcon EL

NSW, Australia

I have to supply power to my new power windows that Im about to install and have been told best to tap into the fuse box for the supply,how would I actually go about this,what connectors do I need to interface with the fuse box?If anyone has done the power window mod, I would appreciate some insight into how you went about this.

Cheers
Stephen

PS.Could I just run a line to the battery with an inline fuse or is this not advisable?

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:44 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Anyone ????

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

What car do you have Squire?

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:54 am 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

96 EL GLI Falcon

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:54 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I guess you have the white EL?

theres a Large Yellow power wire in the fuse box (its the one where it say's pwr windows) add an aditional plug from behind and install a circuit breaker (stock one for windows)
should take 2 mins to install ..... and about 15 mins to remove one from a 'do it yourself' wreckers without breaking the little plug.
you need a fine screwdriver or a small nail to unclip the wire from its housing.

cheers

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:00 am 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Krytox wrote:

theres a Large Yellow power wire in the fuse box (its the one where it say's pwr windows) add an aditional plug from behind and install a circuit breaker (stock one for windows)
should take 2 mins to install ..... and about 15 mins to remove one from a 'do it yourself' wreckers without breaking the little plug.
you need a fine screwdriver or a small nail to unclip the wire from its housing.

cheers

Thanks Kryfox,any tips on how to access the rear of the fuse box,there doesnt seem much room for my big hans...lol.
Could you tell me what this addtional plug would look like,can I get one fron a local auto shop?
Circuit breaker I assume you mean a fuse ?

Thanks.

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: GTHO PH 1 EF ex chaser

QLD, Australia

Don't assume he means a circuit breaker NOT a fuse different beast :twisted: :twisted:

Rotten Old Revhead!!! XW GTHO + EF ex cop car (exractors 2.5 cat back zorst !6" Simmons K&N +airbox mods Lowered with Bilstein shocks+Whiteline Bars NEXT THING Swap HO for GTP or Ferrari!

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:54 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

nightstalker wrote:
Krytox wrote:
theres a Large Yellow power wire in the fuse box (its the one where it say's pwr windows) add an aditional plug from behind and install a circuit breaker (stock one for windows) should take 2 mins to install ..... and about 15 mins to remove one from a 'do it yourself' wreckers without breaking the little plug.you need a fine screwdriver or a small nail to unclip the wire from its housing. cheers
Thanks Kryfox,any tips on how to access the rear of the fuse box,there doesnt seem much room for my big hans...lol.Could you tell me what this addtional plug would look like,can I get one fron a local auto shop?Circuit breaker I assume you mean a fuse ?Thanks.
No, he means grab a falcon 30A P/window Cct breaker - when you're at the wreckers, go have a look at a Fairmont/Fairlane, etc - they'll have them.
I did the same as suggested already - although I soldered the P/window feed wire to one lug of the 30A Cct Breaker and fed it through the vacant hole, the other clip with the yellow wire hooked up is enough to hold the Cct breaker in place - as it shouldn't be needed to be replaced too often. In lieu of soldering, you may be able to plug a crimped wire onto the Cct breaker lug.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:19 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

The fuse box option looks like it is out of the question for me,as we wont have a wreckers here in Bathurst.We do have one but he has very old cars and hes a bloody rip off,refuse to use him.As I dont use the cig lighter could I tap into this and put the ciruit breaker inline of the power wire from cig lighter to switches?Thought this might be an easier alternative.

Thanks.

PS.How on hell do you get the riverts out the door.Right in the middle of the rivert theres a piece still sticking out and I cant get a drill bit on it.

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:36 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: BA Fairmont Ghia

NSW, Australia

Dont get the pwer from the cig lighter because it wont carry enough current. You need a angle grinder to remove the rivits, grind it flat then punch the middle of the rivet back through so it falls into the door. Easy!!

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Yes well you need to tap them out with a center punch and a hammer then drill the remaining rivet out. I had to do this recently and it wasn't too hard as long as you had the tools.

Using a centerpunch ( or a similar tool ) to punch out the center of the rivet.

Drill out the remaining piece of the rivet.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:41 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Thanks guys I got the barstards off.I now have the manual winder out and the electic motor mounted,was a piece of piss,thought it was going to be harder than that.Yep seems the power from the cig doesnt have enough balls will have to go fuse box dam it. :(

Thanks guys.

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:47 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Last question guys then I will leave you alone :D
Where does the cuirut breaker go,the fuse box?

Thanks

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:52 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Are they the metal like blocks with 2 flat pins that sit over the actuall fuse connection ?

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:06 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Right Ive got power from the fuse box though the window seems to be sluggish on the up.I have greased the rails on the window rail and have spayed silicone in to the window channels and its still sluggish.Is it a mater of just getting the window aligned in the right spot ?

Thanks.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]