Fordmods Logo

Top dashboard tab repairs 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Top dashboard tab repairs
Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 3:35 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

On EF fords, the dashboard is held in place by bolts along the top of the dash (bottom of windscreen), the lower sides, center console and steering shaft.

It seems that the plastic tabs which are part of dash top, that are held in place by those bolts along the windscreen bottom, are not very strong. The outer tabs in particular tend to tear. Hense they do not support the dash that well and things start to squeek/rattle :(

This doesn't seem to be isolated to my car as a couple of dashes i have seen at the wreckers have the same problem.

Now, the question is, how can i repair them so that the dashboard is held as intended ?

That is, what type of plastic is used in the bashboard rear and what type of glue is compatable, can fiberglass and some type of resin be used - what type.. I don't want to just glue it and have it fail in a short time..

Anyone done such a repair ?

Cheers.

Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 5:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EFII Fairmont

WA, Australia

I did a temp job until it's time to replace my windscreen. Which at that time I'll be able to get someone in when the screens out to have a real go at it.

I've had that tweeter plate off a few time for this problem. I cut out a small metal plate and bent it to shape. Screwed one end up futher onto the dash around the area of the broken tab, to get a good hold and so it doesn't crack again when the screws go in, and the other end I drilled through and into the body of the car, so as too get a good fix. At other areas at the rim or top of the dash, there is a gap behind it between dash and body work. Chock this up with a little block of wood perhaps, and drill through the dash, wood and body of car and insert a screw. Do that a couple of time at the top area of the dash i.e between dash tabs if you know what I mean. BE CAUTIOUS AND AVOID DRILLING NEAR WIRES BEHIND THE DASH..

Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 2:38 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

Thanks kit, that would work but i was thinking more along the lines of removing the dash and getting better access to fixing the dash itself.
As it's a big job to take out the dash, i was looking for some advice on what type of glues/resins could be used and if fiberglass or maybe thin metal could provide additional strength to the area. I am not keep on drilling into the body and dash :)

Cheers

Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 6:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EFII Fairmont

WA, Australia

ItchiOne wrote:
Thanks kit, that would work but i was thinking more along the lines of removing the dash and getting better access to fixing the dash itself.
As it's a big job to take out the dash, i was looking for some advice on what type of glues/resins could be used and if fiberglass or maybe thin metal could provide additional strength to the area. I am not keep on drilling into the body and dash :)

Cheers

Needless to say. All of my repairs are completely hidden and have no detramental effect to the vehicle in any way. There are no tell tale sign that I've even had the tweeter cover off. You know what I mean, if it works then, you know...oh and I don't recommend piss f@rt around with it too much if you don't have a manual or anything. For instance don't undo those dash tab bolts, metal parts of the clamp underneath can fall down deep behind and into the dash. Very bad news!!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]