Trip comp + Cluster..... 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Trip comp + Cluster.....
Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:46 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 1994 ED Fairmont

QLD, Australia

i have a new challenge i have an ED Fairmont running EL efi and an au motor etc etc and since that conversion the trip comp is stuffed, ive tried to fit the EL trip comp to learn that i need the EL dash cluster as well can i fit that cluster to my ed?????? i want all the fairmont s**t functioning!

1994 ED Fairmont Champaign Gold - AU Series II Intech 4.0L - EL EFI - Thermo Fans - 4.11 LSD - Pacemaker 4480 Into Custom 3" Exhaust - Shift Kit
In Progress: EL 4 Speed Auto- 3000 STALL - To be fitted
EF Tickford Race Spec Head Port- In the shop
Custom SureCam - Chiptorque

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

not without changing dash pads and changing looms to el etc

Nicko

Post subject: Re: Trip comp + Cluster.....
Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: BOXCAR

TAS, Australia

ebfairmont3.9 wrote:
i have a new challenge i have an ED Fairmont running EL efi and an au motor etc etc and since that conversion the trip comp is stuffed, ive tried to fit the EL trip comp to learn that i need the EL dash cluster as well can i fit that cluster to my ed?????? i want all the fairmont s**t functioning!

forget about fitting any EL dash stuff unless you want to do an entire conversion.

Has any of the wiring in the car been modded? chances are sombody has rooted around fitting the EL EFI.

I CAN help you, but i need to know exactly what your Trip Computer does or dosen't do. you don't need a EL trip computer

^^^ What He Said

<a href="http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44952" target="_blank" class="postlink"> TAS Cruises</a>

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

Low EL coverted his NA to el dash and door trims engine etc.
Changed entire loom and was alot of mucking around but was very unique!

Nicko

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Toyota Supra RZ

VIC, Australia

fordzatmyplace wrote:
ebfairmont3.9 wrote:

forget about fitting any EL dash stuff unless you want to do an entire conversion.

Has any of the wiring in the car been modded? chances are sombody has rooted around fitting the EL EFI.

I CAN help you, but i need to know exactly what your Trip Computer does or dosen't do. you don't need a EL trip computer

I have the same problem. EL XR motor with EL Ghia ECU.

On the EB the Trip data line is the same pin as the EL Cluster data line.

My guess is the EB Trip is getting a heap of garbage designed to be read by the EL Cluster which in turn sends a diff signal to the Trip.

But anyway, Fuel consumption readouts are bogus.. Mine usually says about 30-60L / 100km.

Any ideas?

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

glenneaux wrote:
fordzatmyplace wrote:
ebfairmont3.9 wrote:

I have the same problem. EL XR motor with EL Ghia ECU.

On the EB the Trip data line is the same pin as the EL Cluster data line.

My guess is the EB Trip is getting a heap of garbage designed to be read by the EL Cluster which in turn sends a diff signal to the Trip.

But anyway, Fuel consumption readouts are bogus.. Mine usually says about 30-60L / 100km.

Any ideas?

EB trip computers don't have a data line. They get there information from lots of different places... this should help... I reckon you need to make sure all the information wires are going to the correct places. Use this diagram to make sure they are all correct.

Its a bit small, but you can just make out the pin numbers and wire colours using the picture of the plug at the bottom of the photo. And yes its from my FACTORY ford repair manual. (Best $60 i EVER spent:lol:)

^^^ What He Said

<a href="http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44952" target="_blank" class="postlink"> TAS Cruises</a>

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

i know its a s**t picture so if you need more help just ask. I don't have my camera on me ATM but i will try to describe as best as possible :(

^^^ What He Said

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Well put it this way..

In MY car.. the only thing i've done in terms of wiring is add the thermo and bbm wiring.. nothing else has been changed.. so theoretically its still getting all of its information bar this magical signal from the ecu..

I just looked in MY factory ford manual to find that yes it does get information from other sources.. ie fuel sender and some others but they're ALL still there.. nothings been changed.

The line that runs from the ECU to the Trip in the EB is the wire that runs to the EL Cluster from the EL ECU.

There IS a data line and the trip is now receiving all of the EL cluster info, not just the EB data.

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

hmm i stand to be corrected, is the EB data line the Green/Voilet wire?

^^^ What He Said

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Yeah Im pretty sure its that one..

But yeah as i think i found out, the EB trip is just getting basically garbage from the ECU cause the ECU is talking to a cluster not an EB trip (suprisingly)

Just a pain not having it, because it was handy...

Post subject: trip computer
Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:03 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 1994 ED Fairmont

QLD, Australia

yes the eb trip gets information from a few places, and it does have a data line also........ heres the problem
an EL trip comp data line gets all the extra information from the dash cluster.......fuel, speed, etc thus u need the EL cluster to decipher all this information and u need a data line from the EL dash i think ill just do a dash conversion because i like the dash how hard is it to do??

1994 ED Fairmont Champaign Gold - AU Series II Intech 4.0L - EL EFI - Thermo Fans - 4.11 LSD - Pacemaker 4480 Into Custom 3" Exhaust - Shift Kit
In Progress: EL 4 Speed Auto- 3000 STALL - To be fitted
EF Tickford Race Spec Head Port- In the shop
Custom SureCam - Chiptorque

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]