"Trip computer accurate" . . . my a***! - *blocked filter* 

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: "Trip computer accurate" . . . my a***! - *blocked filter*
Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

I read somewhere on fordmods recently that the trip computer's range estimate is very accurate. So yesterday even though i was low on fuel i did a detour i wanted to do and then when the trip computer said there was 80km to go and the fuel light had been on for about 10 minutes, the car started to run like a sine wave, on off, on off, on off, adfinitum. So i headed straight for the nearest servo and when i was about one kilometre away and the range computer said 50km to go it wouldn't go anywhere, even in reverse up the gradient.

I don't know how old the fuel filter is and will be replacing that shortly. The fuel pump can whine at times . . . don't know, the car drives fine including full throttle runs.

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Last edited by relaxed_diplomacy on Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: "Trip computer accurate" . . . my a***!
Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

our old BA mont did this to us.. consider yourself lucky u werent in the middle lane of the freeway heading into perth at 8 in the morning when all of a sudden the 80km range fuel tank decides its actually empty

Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Mine has just started doing the same thing, usually it is fairly accurate but latley it said i had 40ks to go and i started running out of fuel managed to make it to a servo tho.

"In the absence of orders find something and kill it."

Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5spd EF

I've found keeping my car above 1/4 empty saves a whole lot of these hasles, also saves fuel pump etc etc

Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:23 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF Futura

VIC, Australia

My trip comp seems to work pretty well. I've had it down to 10Ks, once IIRC.

Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Mine's been down to 0 a few times and never run out thats why i was surprised when it started running out at 40ks.

"In the absence of orders find something and kill it."

Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:49 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 94 EF falcon

NSW, Australia

well ive been told that unless your driving at a steady rate ( E.G. freeways) then its not as accurate as it can be, ive had mine in a normal EF for about a month so i could be wrong but on the freeways they work good, but as soon as i got into the city, accerating quickly became very embassassing... well the fuel pump didnt like the lack of fuel and cut off..(not sure if it cut off or the more obvious reason that i didnt have much fuel!!) but it still said i had 40kms... but to me mine is usaully right on the mark..

could be something to do with the amount of km's everyones car has done?

Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA 3V Tunna

VIC, Australia

OsbornThomas wrote:
I've found keeping my car above 1/4 empty saves a whole lot of these hasles, also saves fuel pump etc etc

exactly right.. the fuel pump needs fuel surrounding it to keep cool. so constantly running your car to almost empty will greatly reduce the life of the pump

Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:04 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

Shum's EL wrote:
OsbornThomas wrote:

exactly right.. the fuel pump needs fuel surrounding it to keep cool. so constantly running your car to almost empty will greatly reduce the life of the pump

+1 to both of these ^

latest mod: A Service
MY BUILD THREAD

Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EF Falcon

VIC, Australia

I once ran out of fuel when my trip comp displayed only 1km left!! I was like "s**t! That's accurate!" Then I was like "s**t! I'm screwed!".

It's never been that accurate since though, a few times since then I've almost run empty when it's displaying around 35km. Now I don't risk it and fill up as soon as it says 80km.

-------- Falcs --------
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I replaced my fuel filter and the fuel coming from the tank was tainted. I then looked at the filler tube and there was dust in there, i don't know exactly how it gets in but i at least put my best cap on. The car has done a fair amount of dirt road driving in it's life. Hopefully problem solved.

I guess in these circumstances you try not to let it run down and replace the filter more often, or pull the tank and flush.

Post subject: Re: "Trip computer accurate" . . . my a***! - *blocked filter*
Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:12 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I have noticed that it is accurate if your everyday trip is repetitive on a weekly basis. As in going to work and back 5 days a week using the same route all the time. The average L/100km stays steady and doesn't jump and thus the amount left in tank would be more accurate.

If you had a long drive on the highway, then suddenly drive in city traffic, the average L/100km starts to rise, but not at the rate you are using fuel. I'm not sure if amount of km till empty is calculated using the average L/100km or instantaneous, but I have noticed dramatic drop in kms left changing from highway to metro driving, though average did not.

For instance, when I drove to Sydney over the weekend, trip computer said 7.5L/100km average with about 200km left in tank, after filling up, it was actuall7 L/100km (so fuel eco on highway it's awesome). Filled her up to the top, drove for 100km around Sydney, topped her up before heading back to Melbourne, the bowser read 16L/100km...and the average read 8.5L/100km...I hadn't reset the average and put everything out of wack.

I would suggest topping the car up if the light comes on...as some others said, bad for the fuel pump etc.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

7 or 7.5L/100km average is so awesome it's hard to believe. Do you think you've done any mods that might help get that?

Maybe if you had a lowered AU with free flowing inlet and exhaust and drove on flat roads with over inflated tyres . . . but you have an EL?

Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: g6e 2009

WA, Australia

if i recall, the ba trip comp averages out your dte from the amount of petrol used over a large km span. so if you do a large country run of say 1500 km and use 7l/100km it will show this by the end of your run. however you then go and do a city run straight after of say 100kms and get 10l/km. if theres 20l left in the tank it wont show 200kms as you would want now your back in the city. it will work on the idea that you have travelled 1600kms, and used 115l. so the computer averages your using 7.1875l/100, and it will show 278km in range, even though your currently driving at 10l/100km and only have 200km range in reality. any difference in driving will affect this reading, such as if your mum drives the car normally like a nanna, and then you go for drag race or two, more petrol has been used than the average will show, so youll run empty sooner.

Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

OsbornThomas wrote:
Chicken :lol:

Meh Ive run mine past 0 the odd time or few hehe, maybe I should be a bit more careful. Ohwell

Atleast it's never run empty. (touchwood)

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next