Fordmods Logo

Trip Computer in ef on gas 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Trip Computer in ef on gas
Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB SXR6 | ED XR8 Sprint

NSW, Australia

hey guys im back to the blue oval after one year! i bought an ef on gas/petrol today for $2000 its done a bit of kms but im happy with it. anyway my question is, can i install a trip computewr in this? because its on gas, when i switch from petrol to gas will this also change my 'km to empty' section on the trip computer accordingly?
thanks guys!

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:09 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

if the gas sender is connected to the fuel guage input on the cluster it will iirc

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:18 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

If your inst cluster fuel gauge is set up to read both fuels, then this is correct. Bear in mind that all the trip computer knows and sees basically is injector pulse width and fuel level - it doesn't differentiate which fuel is being used. With LPG of course the injectors are disabled, but the trip computer still sees this input. Since you'll use more LPG than Petrol in conventional LPG systems (non LPG injection)you'll still find your trip computer readings for LPG will still be reasonably accurate, but not as accurate as petrol (that's what I've found anyway).
The trip computer will not show any LPG info on Tickford LPG systems, as the injectors are disabled directly by the ECU. When switching fuels while the engine is running, it takes a while for the readings to change over.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB SXR6 | ED XR8 Sprint

NSW, Australia

thanks for this info, the reading for lpg and petrol is off the same gauage, although for some reason i noticed tonight that while on lpg the gauge drops all the way down, then goes back to normal while im driving, it happened about 3 times in a few kms, its not a tickford gas system, is this normal?

thanks

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:22 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

Ok, my LPG gauge is above my demister. The Trip comp oftne beeps low fuel when I drive on LPG. How do I get the DTE to be accurate?

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:42 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF XR6

VIC, Australia

in my EA, mine just shows how much is left on petrol, how do I get mine to show how much is left on LPG

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:30 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

BOSXR8 wrote:
thanks for this info, the reading for lpg and petrol is off the same gauage, although for some reason i noticed tonight that while on lpg the gauge drops all the way down, then goes back to normal while im driving, it happened about 3 times in a few kms, its not a tickford gas system, is this normal?thanks
No probs, if it's not still doing it, I wouldn't be too worried about it.

twirqurky wrote:
Ok, my LPG gauge is above my demister. The Trip comp oftne beeps low fuel when I drive on LPG. How do I get the DTE to be accurate?
Well in your setup the TC is always reading petrol, and you probably aren't carrying a lot of it.
You need to fit a 5 pin relay to switch over the fuel gauge line to either LPG or petrol. You need to find out whether the existing LPG tank sender is compatible with the inst cluster fuel gauge, some are, some aren't.
We've covered your scenario a few times in previous threads.

frost wrote:
in my EA, mine just shows how much is left on petrol, how do I get mine to show how much is left on LPG
Same deal as above, provided your's isn't a Tickford LPG setup.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]