Unused wires behind dash 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Unused wires behind dash
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA Falcon Classic

WA, Australia

in my EL falcon, i remove the cover where the demister button is and there are 3 plugs attached only to the plastic, not actually doing anything. does anyone know what these are for?
thanks

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:19 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 1995

QLD, Australia

one is for rear windscreen wipers on wagon one is for electric aerial high series the othe I'm not sure about

Daily Driver BF XR6 Turbo

In progress 1995 EF

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:03 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

I think you'll find they are:
-Wagon wiper/washer
-Clock
-Column shift auto Econ switch

IIRC power antenna height plug is only on a Fairmont or higher loom.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon XR8

WA, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
I think you'll find they are:
-Wagon wiper/washer
-Clock
-Column shift auto Econ switch

IIRC power antenna height plug is only on a Fairmont or higher loom.

Assuming it is an EL GLi Sedan, wouldnt it be:
-Wagon wiper/washer
-Clock/Trip computer
-Rear window demister

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:29 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

fordman351 wrote:
Assuming it is an EL GLi Sedan, wouldnt it be:
-Wagon wiper/washer
-Clock/Trip computer
-Rear window demister
I'm assuming GLI/Futura, clock/TC plug will most likely be a clock only - and it may be stowed behind the plastic triangular blank where the TC/clock goes. This has been covered before: http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopi ... ight=plugs .

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Hilux

VIC, Australia

so i would have to guess wiper for wagon, demister for wagon and econ/pwr for column shift

since thats where they all go, the wagons with colum shift had a 3 switch bezel

Now driving a Hilux

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:50 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Correct :P

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Leroy wrote:
the wagons with colum shift had a 3 switch bezel

Which i have by the way (thanks Leroy) but only just realised that where my power aerial is, is where the power/econ switch goes (damn!).

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:16 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

fordman351 wrote:
Leroy wrote:
the wagons with colum shift had a 3 switch bezel

Which i have by the way (thanks Leroy) but only just realised that where my power aerial is, is where the power/econ switch goes (damn!).

EF/EL Fairmont wagons have a 3 switch bezel also.
What's the issue ?

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Hilux

VIC, Australia

i think the issue is the wiring

Now driving a Hilux

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:28 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

That's what I thought - IIRC he had replaced his autoquad with a manual shiftboot. The Fairmont loom doesn't have the dash econ plug IIRC, so he could get a dash plug from an auto GLI/futura, wire in the inst lights from the nearby demist plug, and run two wires to the console econ plug.

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 98 DL LTD | 71 XY

WA, Australia

I've only got the one spare on mine but i gathered that was for the rear wiper on the wagons cause mines already got the power ariel and rear demist.. Just nothing in the centre of the 2

RIP Scotty
Still Doin It For Ya Mate

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
That's what I thought - IIRC he had replaced his autoquad with a manual shiftboot. The Fairmont loom doesn't have the dash econ plug IIRC, so he could get a dash plug from an auto GLI/futura, wire in the inst lights from the nearby demist plug, and run two wires to the console econ plug.

Right...confucius say: I had replaced the auto shifter surround with a manual boot. I didnt have a spot to put the power/econ switch, so i ordered a 3 switch bezel (which Leroy kindly supplied, cheers mate!). I have a power aerial switch and rear demister switch in the dash already. I also ordered a column shift auto power/econ switch, but it only fits where the power aerial switch is (i thought i could slot it in between the aerial and demister but it does not).

The only switch i know of that fits in the middle space is the rear windscreen washer for the wagons. Sooo, could i polish the surface of the button back to white (if possible) and have 'ECONOMY' printed back onto it somehow?

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:05 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

fordman351 wrote:
The only switch i know of that fits in the middle space is the rear windscreen washer for the wagons. Sooo, could i polish the surface of the button back to white (if possible) and have 'ECONOMY' printed back onto it somehow?
Confucius say that won't work. It'll look pretty crappy. Be too hard to achieve.

IIRC the Econ switch looks very similar to the demist switch. The washer/wiper switch body is only slightly thinner, so I'd think if you took the top and bottom lips off the econ switch, it would fit in between - the clip arrangement is pretty similar between all switches, so it would only take some slight modding to the dash surround to get it positioned right - just take care when doing it.

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
Confucius say that won't work. It'll look pretty crappy. Be too hard to achieve.

IIRC the Econ switch looks very similar to the demist switch. The washer/wiper switch body is only slightly thinner, so I'd think if you took the top and bottom lips off the econ switch, it would fit in between - the clip arrangement is pretty similar between all switches, so it would only take some slight modding to the dash surround to get it positioned right - just take care when doing it.

The column auto econ switch is the same shape as the power aerial switch and is angled to curve with the shape of the dash and looks s**t and sticks out when in the middle slot (i have tried it).

To save this thread going any further, i have installed round Narva rocker switch in the (gutted) ciggie lighter a while ago. Looks quite tidy and keeps people guessing as to what the switches purpose is.

When i was trying to remove the 2 switch bezel (around aerial/demister switch) i snapped it (DOH!). If anyone has a grey one from a Fairmont, let us know. You there Leroy? haha!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next