Upgrading interior BA handles to BF 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Upgrading interior BA handles to BF
Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:33 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: BA XR6

SA, Australia

Hi guys,

I own a BA XR6 and am interested in upgrading the interior grab handles to those found in the BF (they are similar in shape, but the BF ones have a silver boomerang-shaped stripe inside them which looks a lot nicer).

I am aware that I need to remove the door trims to get this done, although I've been unable to find any detailed step-by-step procedures for doing this. I'm a little nervous about getting the door trims off, mainly because of all the electronics inside, as I don't want to damage anything. Hence, I'd be interested to chat with anyone who's done it before and can offer detailed instructions.

In addition, I've heard that the BA grab handles are attached internally to the door trim via some molten plastic welding, and that you need to chisel it off in order to get the BF handles in. Is this true? If so, how do you then attach the BF handles in?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA

VIC, Australia

Vertg0
Mate, if your meaning the silver insert in the door grab handle, in the door trim...

There are 2 things to be aware of.

1. The doortrim grab handles vary across the BA range, therefore some silver inserts will not fit. I know for sure that XT and Futura do not swap BA to BF!

**the way to tell if silver inserts will fit is to see if your current inserts travel all the way up the grab handle, ie: 'wrap around' the top of the window switch buttons (within an inch of where the trim meets the handle itself; the end where the electric window switches are located) if the insert stops short (by over an inch) and do not 'wrap around the top of the window button switch, then the BF WILL NOT FIT in the FRONT doors! Back doors yes (the grab handles didn't change!!!)

2. If your BA door grab handles do 'wrap around' as such, then all you need to do is, get a sharp thin knife and lever the insert out. Please be delicate!!! Try and level it out every 10cm or so... persist, it WILL come out. Then you just swap them over...

okay, summing up...

1. check to see if your FRONT BA doortrims basically wrap around the top of the window button switch, if not, you need bf trims, if so, be careful pulling them out, you don't want to wreck your grab handles

2. The REAR door handles will swap over, regardless of the model

Depending on what I do tonight, I might add some pictures demonstrating what I mean (I have BF XR leather doortrims all round, updated from its original BA trims) I still have the original BA trims so I'll show what to look for...

mmmmmmmmmunchy!

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:49 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Hi Munch,

I am aware of the 'wrap' issue. The standard black inserts in my BA handles do **NOT** wrap. I have noticed that the BF ones do, which is why I want to replace the entire handle with a BF one.

I have seen some places who sell the BF handles stand-alone (ie, without the door trims), and what I'm interested in doing is removing my BA door handles altogether and put the BF ones on.

NOTE: I don't have rear power windows, so I only need to do this for the front.

As my original post says, I'd like to chat with anyone who has had experience removing the door trims and swapping the handles over. Or, even just removing the door trims, that'd be a good start also.

Thanks again.

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA

VIC, Australia

ooooh, got ya now mate. Yeah, I got around the issue by getting some bf ones.

As for the removal of the whole doortrim itself, you have to be bloody careful, there are these little clips that help clip the trim into the doorskin itself. They are a b**ch to get off without breaking them.
If you break them of while removing, you're going to have to source out a few new one's from somewhere, or the trim won't clip in properly.

The only electronics in the door that you go near are the front electronic window buttons. Now I did mine ages ago, but I've still got the right front door to do, i'll be doing it tomorrow. I'll take a few photo's of the operation and throw it on a post in the next few days. All I can remember is that getting the switch out is an absolute b**ch!

**Your right in regards to the plastic welding. Might have to speak to a pro about that, theres a lot of strain on the door handles, and you don't want them falling off :lol: :lol: :lol:

mmmmmmmmmunchy!

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, SX Ghia, WQ XR4

NSW, Australia

I've heard two methods.

(1) Use a soldering iron (with a 'tip' that you're prepared to sacrifice or throw away). You need to 'plastic weld' the BF trims back in. Stinks like buggery too.

(2) Use a self-tapping screw and a s**t load of washers.

The rear-inserts from BA to BF look to be an easy swap over of just the insert bit.

Lukeyson

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:57 am 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Thanks alot guys.

Munch, if you could take those photos when you get your trims off, would be awesome. It's all well and good to read instructions, but as they say, a picture says a thousand words!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]