Fordmods Logo

Variable Intermittent Wipers Into ED -- Help Needed!!! 

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Variable Intermittent Wipers Into ED -- Help Needed!!!
Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:31 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

works good now...

now base resistor and only using the values provided by mr snap (thanks...)

Slowest to fastest (approx times)

1--4.63kohm --> 9 sec delay
2--3.96kohm --> 7 sec delay
3--2.70kohm --> 5 sec delay
4--1.50kohm --> 3 sec delay
5--0.83kohm --> 1.5 sec delay

so i don't think these are too bad, any complaints anyone?

I made a resistor bank switch similar to the above values and used a 1000uF and 470uF electrolytic capacitors (in parallel to get 1470uF + tolerance) on a 555 timer circuit.

only other initial trouble i had (previously when i first set up my sample) when you switch the switch to INT it earths the timer and the trigger pin on the 555 and starts the count, but it'd wouldn't trigger the relay with pin 2 grounded, so i used a resistor and cap in series (pin two in the middle of these two components) so initially when it starts the cap isn't charged (its only a 10uF) and it earths through the cap and tiggers, as soon as that happens (about .5sec the cap charges to full) and then puts enough voltage on pin two so it thinks there is no more trigger pressed and clicks the relay. When the motor starts to move off park the contacts on the wheel change the park wire from +12v to ground (this removes power from the timer) and the relay clicks closed again earthing the low speed side via this park wire and causes it to return to park. Then when on park the park wire changes back to +12 volts from ground and energises the timer again(now with all caps drained) and starts all over again... really simple on paper... complicated to explain...

Cheers all for your help... just need to solder up the pcb and buy a combo switch... Test one more time and install... I'll upload some pics of what i have so far shortly...

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:19 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

pics... is it possible to upload videos to fordmods, or I have to get a photo bucket account?

Attachments:
DSC_0560.JPG
DSC_0560.JPG [ 426.42 KiB | Viewed 139 times ]
DSC_0559.JPG
DSC_0559.JPG [ 375.15 KiB | Viewed 154 times ]
DSC_0558.JPG
DSC_0558.JPG [ 414.81 KiB | Viewed 181 times ]
DSC_0557.JPG
DSC_0557.JPG [ 424.86 KiB | Viewed 187 times ]
DSC_0556.JPG
DSC_0556.JPG [ 431.45 KiB | Viewed 164 times ]

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:42 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

For those of you interested

Attachment:
ED Wipers Schematic (Standard).pdf [8.56 KiB]
Downloaded 206 times

Attachment:
ED Wipers Schematic (Variable).pdf [15.43 KiB]
Downloaded 194 times

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:22 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

timmytimtim wrote:
any idea what times these roughly achieve like maybe 1 sec through to 10 seconds in 2sec intervals?
Nah, haven't run the wipers.
timmytimtim wrote:
You pulled it right apart to discover the resistance wire/card?
This isn't a spare you'd sell? I need something to test my dummy set up on the bench...
It was a spare standalone stalk - when I pulled it apart, the springs and ball bearings rifled off, and I did damage the retaining clips.
I'd suggest you run an EF/EL stalk assy with an EL BEM (probably a mid series one).
It wouldn't be hard to transfer the smartlock module wiring over, etc.
The EL BEM runs a slim cct card, so should fit where the central controller goes in the EB/ED fairmonts.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:32 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

i think i'll keep all my ED gear in there, I'll make up this timer and patch looms and I'm 99% sure now that it'll work fine... I have now got 1.5secs through to 9secs... so its pretty good...

Its too hard to get into that wiring up above the hand brake...

If you were to do that it'd be a dash removal job and then you have to put it all back to test it again and it might not work and only be left to pull it all out again...

Thanks for your help snap...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:58 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

NP. I'll get timings when I get a chance.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:56 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

no rush...

I have gotten 1.5, 3, 5, 7, and 9 secs so i think thats not too bad... Wouldn't want any quicker than 1 sec (may as well just put it on slow) and i don't think you want much longer than 10 secs... My ED is fixed at 5 secs... I might even try it with just the 1000uF and see if what the times are...

Thanks,
Tim

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:20 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

I made up my patch harness yesterday and trialled it in the car today...

Not as happy as what I would like...

One thing I didn't realise was that the BEM makes the wipers go when you pull on the washer stalk... Its not part of the stalk... So thats a second relay I have to implement into the system

And as I had it configured as a monostable 555 timer when the relay changed back over after triggering it there is a slight jolt in the wipers as they come off park, I worked out how the factory configuration gets around it and its timing basically the BEM unclicks the relay as they reach full stroke so the slight jolt is not noticed as they are just stopping to turn around and come back...

I might trial an astable circuit and see if I can get it better but the best bet yet might be a monostable triggering a monostable circuit, twice as much componentry but it might be the most bulletproof solution...

Only reason for this jolt is due to the load on the wipers, this is why it was evident on the bench, as that one is just the motor...

None the less I'll keep trying this for a while first, I'm not one to easily give in... Setting this up this way I might be able to get the function back where the wipers initiate as soon as you hit intermittent...

More trial and error for the time being... Wish me luck... haha

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Tim, I can confirm, Airbags are the same between AU MOMO and standard steering wheels

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2