Fordmods Logo

What will the odometer read when i replace my cluster? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

shutdown..

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:25 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Indeed I was!

Shannonwulff certainly knows about electronics!

However I'm pretty sure most 90's electronic VDO clusters were designed with square wave as an input.

I've never actually pumped in sine, I've only used square and maxed out at around 7volts, didn't want to go higher and could only get around 290'k (est) out of it.
I never intended on lowering odo readings, I was just stuffing around at my old work.

anyways back on track.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA Falcon Classic

WA, Australia

yeah, my generator goes upto 9.8 volts, and i always crank the thing right up, can give you a higher speed. the design of the cluster (obviously not for thousands of kmh) means there are many variables in how fast you can go.

there is very little difference between sine and square for me, sine just makes it reset less often at high frequencies...but yes, im sure it was designed for square (voltage pulse)

im not sure how fast mine goes, but ive got one right round in 6 days before...so (quick calculation)....is 6944.4 recurring kmh...not bad

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:38 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

shannonwulff wrote:
i got plugs and a 12v power supply, and the Ecu outta an EF/EL (dosent matter). connect the grounds and the positives of the ECU and cluster to your source, then the data wire between the two. the cluster will then boot up as normal.
Do you need the ECU?
RH plug pins 11,17,20 to +12v, pins 1,19 to earth, and the cluster will light up (dimming resistor will be needed). Then I'd suspect your sig gen signal inputs via pin 4, and that will be it.
Actually, the speedo will register 60kmh without a speedo input :?

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

yeah ECU is necessary for it to boot up.

yeah only the right plug is required, positives for ignition, +12 and LCD lights. why a dimming resistor?

60kmh? all the ones ive done have sat on zero with no input. i cant see, based on the setup of the car, why this would occur.

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:56 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

shannonwulff wrote:
yeah ECU is necessary for it to boot up.
Can't see why, all that's needed is RH plug. Speed sensor info goes to the cluster first, then from the cluster to the ECU.

shannonwulff wrote:
yeah only the right plug is required, positives for ignition, +12 and LCD lights. why a dimming resistor?.
So the LCD lights up - but the screen can still be seen without it by reflecting light off it.

shannonwulff wrote:
60kmh? all the ones ive done have sat on zero with no input. i cant see, based on the setup of the car, why this would occur.
Probably because I've connected a speed sensor up, and depending on the speedo position, will register this without the thing turning.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

theres a serial line from the ECU to the cluster, which needs to be connected for the cluster to boot up. i assume it sources fuel usage and injector pulse data, diagnostic data, gear position, etc etc.

ive never had to put a resistor in. just hooked up the +ve and -ve for the LCD illumination, comes on straight away, nothing else needed.

but wouldnt the speed sender only provide a pulse (part of the square wave) when it's turning? i once read a post on here that proved that there are an exact number of sender pulses per kilometre, so i can't understand why a constant pulse would be generated, unless AC power was used or something.

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:18 pm 
Technical Contributor

VIC, Australia

hrmm, I've never used a ECU to boot up a cluster, always just...
pins: 1, 11 and 20 to see odo, then I add 19 (neg) to feed more current power into it.

I assume Ray, your adding the resistor for the fairmont clusters? Shannon might only be using futura/xr's?

as above I throw in pins 16/17 for lcd illumination, and as for speedo signal I've used squarewave at around 18khz at 7volts and gets me about 250kph.

I might add a TC on as well next time I mess about in the garage and see what functions I get without the ecu being connected, but since its been over a year since I quit smoking, I don't see myself visiting the garage sometime soon :/

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:36 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

shannonwulff wrote:
but wouldnt the speed sender only provide a pulse (part of the square wave) when it's turning? i once read a post on here that proved that there are an exact number of sender pulses per kilometre, so i can't understand why a constant pulse would be generated, unless AC power was used or something.
Hence the reason I added a 'confused' icon - but hey, it works - I've tried a couple of clusters.
Krytox wrote:
I assume Ray, your adding the resistor for the fairmont clusters? Shannon might only be using futura/xr's?
That's correct Andrew.
Krytox wrote:
but since its been over a year since I quit smoking, I don't see myself visiting the garage sometime soon :/
So the lights and hydroponics are gone ?????

Since I've got an eprom failure, I'm just running one up another 7K km to match it's mileage for replacement - I can't be bothered lugging a sig gen home, so I'm happy to run my 60 kmh setup til it does.

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:52 pm 
Technical Contributor

VIC, Australia

Snap0964 wrote:
So the lights and hydroponics are gone ?????

haha! No, never got into pot, ALL my friends did.. maybe its cos they put up with me :/

I do happen to have a few mercury vapours a fuel fuel pumps and a length of garden hose in the shed and a leftover bag of osmocote :/

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Krytox wrote:
hrmm, I've never used a ECU to boot up a cluster, always just...
pins: 1, 11 and 20 to see odo, then I add 19 (neg) to feed more current power into it.

as above I throw in pins 16/17 for lcd illumination, and as for speedo signal I've used squarewave at around 18khz at 7volts and gets me about 250kph.

I might add a TC on as well next time I mess about in the garage and see what functions I get without the ecu being connected, but since its been over a year since I quit smoking, I don't see myself visiting the garage sometime soon :/

yep, only done it with Gli and Fairlane ones.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2