Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Woodgrain Question
Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: VY Commodore Wagon Accli

VIC, Australia

Hi,

I've bought a woodgrain window switch surround off ebay and I've just received it and it's only the woodgrain bit it's as if it's been taken off and then been reglued with silicon. The Woodgrain piece is for an EA-ED Car so its wood not plastic.

So here are a couple of question,

On the actual woodgrain bits that you now can't get from ford is it the plastic underneath and then the wood grain pieces are glued on top? because I was just gonna re-silicon it on.. unless otherwise.

And here is the second question,

How should I cut and polish the scrathes out of it? should I just use automotive paintwork cut and polish materials?

I think I should also add that I've got some brasso metal polish on the recomendation of dads as that also polishes up the plastic coating over the wood.

Thanks

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Successful Trades with: John_XR6 (John_LS1), Private9, Schmee, Manari, Kyle_Bardell, Greenhorn (Boostedfalcon.net), FTG AUTO SALVAGE, EVL098, Gogetta, EFIII, Krytox, Blue, Smik-EL, TP351.

Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ED FAIRMONT

VIC, Australia

im pretty sure most woodgrain is just stuck on top of the plastic itself(not 100% sure)

if you are looking to do your whole car these people will do a 5 piece set for $445 and they will also do other bits and peices for your car. well worth it, as im putting it in my ed. the come in all sorts of colours and patterns.

http://www.dashboardcentre.com.au/index ... h=29_59_83

they do the same thing take ur plastics make the mold and stick it on, dash, window switchs, blah blah blah

Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ragga_ed wrote:
im pretty sure most woodgrain is just stuck on top of the plastic itself(not 100% sure)

if you are looking to do your whole car these people will do a 5 piece set for $445 and they will also do other bits and peices for your car. well worth it, as im putting it in my ed. the come in all sorts of colours and patterns.

http://www.dashboardcentre.com.au/index ... h=29_59_83

they do the same thing take ur plastics make the mold and stick it on, dash, window switchs, blah blah blah

I'm not talking about those piece of *&$% vinyl stick on crap I'm talking about the actual Genuine Ford peices.

What I have looks to be pealed off the real deal genuine artical.

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Successful Trades with: John_XR6 (John_LS1), Private9, Schmee, Manari, Kyle_Bardell, Greenhorn (Boostedfalcon.net), FTG AUTO SALVAGE, EVL098, Gogetta, EFIII, Krytox, Blue, Smik-EL, TP351.

Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: el xr8

NSW, Australia

i have the woodgrain in my car ,it is held onto the plastic with a couple of pins that go through,hope this helps

i smell bad even when fm members drive past lol.

Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:28 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

mate the dashboard center isn't s**t it actually looks really good

-- Built Not Bought --

Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:03 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ED FAIRMONT

VIC, Australia

yeah man what ive seen the dash looks s**t hot

Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:14 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 50 images

Ride: MYSTERY EL's & Maverick LWB

Power: 198 rwkw

NSW, Australia

its mostly double sided taped on and the 2 - 4 pins with little nuts on them . silcon back on should be fine and for polish - you can use braso or automotive but i would use the braso ;) or even Autoblu / autosol alloy polish .

Chance Favors The Prepared Mind !
For Sale : EL Fairmont 4L 5spd offers, AU Fairlane Ghia 4L vct Stock no mods $3.5k ono

Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

jaymeister wrote:
mate the dashboard center isn't s**t it actually looks really good
I was saying s**t because it's vinyl not because it doesn't look good. Certainly it looks good.

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

MRE-50L wrote:
its mostly double sided taped on and the 2 - 4 pins with little nuts on them . silcon back on should be fine and for polish - you can use braso or automotive but i would use the braso ;) or even Autoblu / autosol alloy polish .

That definantly helps.

I've got brasso metal polish but I'm just looking at getting rid of the tiny scratches in it to bring it back up. I went to autobarn not long after I first posted and did some experiments there and the guy said that your best option is to wet and dry sand it back and re clear it (gloss polyurethane clear) as thats whats most likely to be the top coat. So I went to bunnings just now and got some 1200 wet and dry (thats the finest they go to) and they said then use the clear. And if you can see tiny scratches because the 1200 might be to course (30% chance) then go into somewhere like super cheap or autoBarn and get a few sheets of 1500 wet and dry and repeat the same process.

Once the Clear process is complete then I'll polish it up with brasso.

I'll let you guys know how I go :)

Thanks for all the input :)

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Well with abit of experimenting I rubbed it with the 1200 wet and dry and dad said don't bother re-clearing it polish it with the brasso metal polish and see what happens. And yep you could see the scratches from the 1200.

So it'll be a trip to supercheap tomorrow morning to get a few sheets of 1500 and matt black spray can paint (different project).

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:52 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 50 images

Ride: MYSTERY EL's & Maverick LWB

Power: 198 rwkw

NSW, Australia

you caould goto autobarn and get a sheet of 2000 , that would work better but i would try buffing/polishing it first . i wouldnt reclear it

Chance Favors The Prepared Mind !
For Sale : EL Fairmont 4L 5spd offers, AU Fairlane Ghia 4L vct Stock no mods $3.5k ono

Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

MRE-50L wrote:
you caould goto autobarn and get a sheet of 2000 , that would work better but i would try buffing/polishing it first . i wouldnt reclear it

Well I went to a shop similar to AutoBarn this morning and got myself some 2000 wet and dry and a abrasive pad of 4000 and had a go with that.

I must say it's come up very good :)

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

What do you guys recon would be the best stuff for buffing it? I've got the polish sorted out.

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:08 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: EF fairmont + upgrades

VIC, Australia

the items that ate listed at this site are awsome
know what i want just need the $$$$$ http://www.dashboardcentre.com.au

need a rotisserie for a classic resto 0471525912 Tom

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:41 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF 2 Fairmont Ghia

NSW, Australia

how much does the dasboard center charge for large dash inserts. Just a ballpark figure?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next