Fordmods Logo

ZL fairlane odometer 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: ZL fairlane odometer
Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:00 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 96 Fairmont Ghia argon silver

NSW, Australia

just a quik question about my ZL dash. i have just bought it and need the odometer reading. unfortunately the dash doesnt light up when the key is turned to ON position. the car wont start, but turns over. think its the head. battery is brand new. anyway, back to the dash..

i am not sure whether the dash is supposed to light up when in ON position, the oil and battery lights come on i think, but none of the guages light up. its digital, so i have no way to read the odometer to put on my change of ownership form...

so:

is the dash supposed to light up? if so, what is the problem with mine.
if not, how do i get the odometer reading?

thanks for your time.

Shay

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

Try using the dimmer switch to brighten up the dash.

The lights may also be blown that light up the odometer, if that is the case, then take out the instrument cluster and replace the blown globes.

Instant Karma is gonna get you!

Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: ED Falcon

QLD, Australia

Sounds like your cluster is dead. They were a vaccumed lcd type thingy and were known to just die

Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:21 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

yeah, i thought the guage could be dead but none of the guages work. not speed, oil, nothing...

could it still be a dead guage? or are they all seperate units?

is there a fuse for the dash/interior lighting i can check? all the windows, locking, warning panel on the left work.

is the trip comp supposed to light up with key in ON? cos that doesn't work either...

i will have a look for a fuse or something, because i dont think it is a dead cluster. all the warning lights work, just the guages and trip comp dont, and the trip comp is a seperate unit, right?

thanks for your time

Shay

Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: ED Falcon

QLD, Australia

when you turn the key to on, it shall light up as a test then go to actual readings. so if your odo was 56 600 when turned on it would be 888888 then 56 600 if you know what i mean

Post subject: Re: ZL fairlane odometer
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:42 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 19 images

Ride: EB Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

[quote="shay"]just a quik question about my ZL dash. i have just bought it and need the odometer reading. unfortunately the dash doesnt light up when the key is turned to ON position. the car wont start, but turns over. think its the head. battery is brand new. anyway, back to the dash..[quote]

Check the plastic fuse holder near the positive terminal of the battery as they corrode and the fuse doesn't make good contact. The same thing happened to mine and it would'nt start. As for the dash, mine s**t itself as well so I replaced it with one from the wreckers. Only cost $50 and was in good nick aswell. If this one goes I'm putting in a XG Ute instrument cluster! :)

EB Fairmont Ghia 6 -160rwkw (E85 tune)
ZL Fairlane 6 - Grandpa Spec
XW Falcon 221 2V

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:45 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

ok, so fixed the dash the other week. was just a blown fuse in the fuse holder under the dash. all interior lights now work. yay!.

engine still wont start. i've got a feeling that its a blown head gasket or head, cos it sounds like there's not much compression when it turns over. ie: it turns over way too easy. like there's nothing resisting the pistons goin up and down. it sounds like it wants to start, almost fires sometimes, but it doesnt. gonna take the head off and check it out this weekend. put a new gasket in and see if thats it...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]