Fordmods Logo

6 cylinder gas conversion, worth it?? Opinions please 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: 6 cylinder gas conversion, worth it?? Opinions please
Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:56 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AUII XR8 Pursuit & EF XR6

NSW, Australia

Im just about to take ownership of a EF XR6 thats close to original for the missus as we have another little one on the way. Shes used to the cheap running around in the Terios she has and was wondering whether it would be worth the conversion.

Not overly concerned on small amounts of power loss but just some general opinions would be great.

Cheers, Justin

- 1994 EF XR6, Auto, EL XR wheels. Clean and close to original ( Missus' Kiddie Chariot )
- 2001 AUII XR8 Pursuit ute, 5 speed, 18" alloys, custom tray. Goes alright!! lol

Post subject: Re: 6 cylinder gas conversion, worth it?? Opinions please
Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

How many kms u expect to do per yr and how long do u intend on keeping the car???

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:18 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

She does around 50km a day and looking at keeping it long term.

- 1994 EF XR6, Auto, EL XR wheels. Clean and close to original ( Missus' Kiddie Chariot )
- 2001 AUII XR8 Pursuit ute, 5 speed, 18" alloys, custom tray. Goes alright!! lol

Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

If thats the case then its worth doing and u can ue this calculator to help u get a better idea

ford-lpg-hydrogen-hho-cng-conversions-f44/poweredbycng-s-lpg-savings-calculator-t82211.html

There's sopposed to be a good installer in wollongong if u dont mind making the trip???

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:49 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Yeah looks like theres some savings to be had. Wouldnt happen to have a name of the place would you? I work in Wollongong itself so wouldnt be too much of a hassle. lol.

Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

With the km's you're going to do and the $1500?? current rebate you shouldnt take too long to get into savings.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:26 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

we just went from a duel fuel au.(99% driven on lpg) to a petrol au, both 6 cyl auto.

my mrs was doing approx 350km a week on lpg and was costing $30-$35 a week.
now still doing approx 350km a week on petrol and now costing $45-$50 a week.

to me the extra cost of petrol is worth the difference in how the car performs..
plus my mrs didnt want to go back to lpg because in her line of work it occasionally requires her to transport elderly people with wheel chairs, unfortunatly with the gas tank in the boot most wheel chairs would not fit...
but if running costs is a concern there is about $15 a week saving over 350kms

Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Well theres nearly 800 in your pocket after a years driving, which would cover the conversion costs. Anything after that is savings. If its just a daily then the KW lost doesnt really come into the equation.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

I've got injected gas on my EB Ghia. Since putting the new engine in the other day, i have run it on petrol to let the petrol ecu learn, before i can sort one niggly issue with the LPG and then tune it.

I've already spent $100 on petrol in the last week in the EB (currently have half a tank in there), where i would normally spend $50 to maybe $60 on LPG. Yes, i have to spend a bit more on plugs & leads, but overall, i have saved many, many thousands of $$$ over the last 6 years i have had the LPG setup on.

Going over fuel costs & mileage i have done, i have saved anywhere between $2000 to $3500 a year on my fuel bill. Yeah i did a lot of driving, but i don't do so much anymore. The LPG system has paid for itself about 4 times over since fitting it. It was worth it.

If your keeping the car long term, see if you can stretch for injected gas. It's a huge improvement over the old mixer setups!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:01 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: au2 xr6 ute

WA, Australia

Do it for sure, i got an email today from southeast LPG conversions advertising conversion from 250 bucks. (after rebates) Mine was 500 for an under tray tank in a ute. i've had dual fuel on au for 50,000km never had a problem it runs better on gas and There is sfa difference in milage in my car. i am stingy and like to keep an eye on these things. Only downside is the weight of the tank. i get about 460km from 60L around town.

Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:06 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

On an EF, I'd probably suggest a IMPCO integrated setup with a lean-bias processor. This will give you better-than-average fuel consumption, a smaller loss in power, and a reduced tendency for backfiring. Such system cost a few hundred dollars more than a normal ring-type system, but for what you gain, it's worth it.

2005 VZ Commodore SV6 with OMVL Dream XXI SVI LPG
2004 BA Falcon XT with Orbital Liquid LPG Injection
2004 BA Falcon XR6 with icom JTG Liquid LPG Injection

Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

PoweredByCNG wrote:
On an EF, I'd probably suggest a IMPCO integrated setup with a lean-bias processor. This will give you better-than-average fuel consumption, a smaller loss in power, and a reduced tendency for backfiring. Such system cost a few hundred dollars more than a normal ring-type system, but for what you gain, it's worth it.

That would be the best bet if the OP couldn't afford to go injection. Also a good idea is to get an anti-backfire valve fit too.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Australian LP Gas conversions

346B Crown Street
Wollongong , 2500
NSW , Australia
(02) 4227 1991

Check them out and see how much they want and what system, i can also post my impco conversion up so u get an idea of how it looks.

I get 350kms per lpg tank and thats alot of stopping a starting and city driving but i did do a Newcastle run last week and got 470kms over 2 days.

Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:34 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Kool thanks for that. If you can post up a couple of pics and some information on your system. Im picking the XR up over the weekend then most likely in the gas shop within the next couple of weeks. Its hard to get an idea of how much Im going to be saving as its a daily but just makes me feel abit better paying alot less for gas and it does the same job.

Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I would do at least a month worth of driving on petrol and get a weekly average then u will have an idea on what ur savings will be.

Here is my EF XR6 with impco LPG conversion

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n153 ... YY/XR7.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n153 ... YY/XR9.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n153 ... /XR8-1.jpg

Close ups

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n153 ... Y/lpg3.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n153 ... Y/lpg1.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n153 ... Y/lpg5.jpg

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next