Fordmods Logo

B2 converter with Impco mixer? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: B2 converter with Impco mixer?
Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

just curious about the difference between an Impco converter and a B2 converter would have on the way the gas system works.
all i can remember is that B2 converters like to lay flat where as impco like to stand up lol.
i have 2 B2s with steel lids in the garage so i want to start looking into fitting them to the EB to be ready for the turbo.
so im wondering what will happen if i do this while it is N/A?
i have a PEEL gas system which has a small ECU that uses the oxy senso and EGO to trim fuel by moving a small magnetic stepper valve between the mixer and the converter, but the stepper valve is out of action. so i guess im most wondering about how it would affect gas mixtures?

dunno what im asking really lol but i also remember reading that the B2 converters are more boost friendly?
and i also remember sunny changing to a B2 converter, and im pretty sure he had the same gas system...
so if you have any random facts about B2 vs Model L, please post up :)

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Post subject: Re: B2 converter with Impco mixer?
Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

I thought the B2 was a copy of the model L, only difference i know of is the B2's that get used with the GRA setup have a different spring in them.....

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yeah well i pulled them both apart, cant see any differences lol
the top lever kind of thing is a slightly different angle, but thats it.
i wonder why the impcos need to be upright then?

anyway, i used the lower springs from the impco converter in the B2 with the B2 spring in the top section.
seems to idle well now and took it for a burn round the block and seems to go pretty much the same lol, maybe a tiny bit smoother.

i guess at least now the converter is laying flat haha

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

I dunno so much about impco's needing to be upright. G forces of the car's movement could cause the diaphram to move & cause the converter to produce unpredictable results in LPG conversion.

I have always been advised to lay converters flat to negate effects of G forces on the converter. Any car i've had with a converter upright never ran right, and when they were moved to lay flat, running issues went away.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]