Fordmods Logo

BA EGAS Fuel Gauge Showing Empty @ all times :( 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: BA EGAS Fuel Gauge Showing Empty @ all times :(
Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:11 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Hi guys,

Would like to get ppl's opinions on a issue i currently have with a 2003 BA XT on straight gas (EGAS).

The Fuel gauge is showing empty at all times even after filling up and its starting to annoy me as i have to manually check the odo for readings...

I have searched on the forums and found that it is a common issue with factory gas dedicated cars and it seems like the fuel sender on the tank might be the most at culprit.

I took some advise and cleaned the connectors under the car near the tank and that made no difference. I then swapped clusters with my XR and that fixed the issue but to my delight it only lasted about 2 minutes before showing up being empty again.....

I also resetted the battery and as i turned the car on, problem seemed to be fixed but after 2 minutes again, same issue, empty and beeps again... aargh.

I was now thinking that if the fuel sender was faulty it wouldnt have worked after changing clusters and resetting the battery but im no expert so any advise would greatly be appreciated..

I later got in contact with Ford who said that early BA cars used APA senders which was a common issue especially with EGAS cars but they now have a new VDO sender which are very reliable and have not heard of any failing?

They quoted me $170 for the part and about 1.5hrs labor for fitting...

Any help would be great....

cheers.

Post subject: Re: BA EGAS Fuel Gauge Showing Empty @ all times :(
Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

The cluster will show fault codes if there is a fault with it, Most scan tools will also have the ability to run functional test on the cluster and that will tell you if the cluster is the problem.

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

I have tried 2 separate clusters and they both came up with the same readings (empty) so im guessing it cant be that and possibily a faulty fuel sender?

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

ashcook wrote:
I sold an ECU to a guy not long who had the same issue in his dedicated BA. Tried everything else first, then ended up being the ECU.

interesting, it kinda sounds more ecu related as i said in my first post, after fitting a few different clusters, it worked and then after a few mins, i started having the same issue so yeah its got me puzzled...

Edit: Sorry, does anyone know where i can get a dedicated gas ecu from and how much am i looking to buy one for?

cheers

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:40 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BF Egas Tonner

NSW, Australia

have you tested the sender units on the tanks?
Before spending to much money I would start with some this.

A different cluster will show fuel on first power up as it reading from its internal memoery buffer.

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:57 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Hi guys,

Got underneath the car and insepcted the area where the sender unit/gauge is mounted on the tank and to my delight look what i found?

As you can see on the pic there is no gauge there so i couldnt even check to see if it was showing full or not so that exercise became useless. However in the place of the gauge there seems to be that black round thing monted with gold brackets and off that are running 2 wires, (one black and red). Could that black thing be a resistor cause i have no clue why that is there when there was suppose to be a gauge there??

It also seems I have 2 tanks as seen in the pic below. I couldnt however see any other wires or gauges attached to the other tank....

I hope the first pic gives u gurus an idea of my setup and hopefully it helps or leads us to the right direction in order to get this issue sorted..

cheers

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

that black round thing is the gas lock, You haven't show taken a photo of where the gauge shoudl be,

Before you waste anymore time or waste any money randomly replacing parts, get the thing checked for fault codes and have the functional tests done.

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:13 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Ok guys,

Found the plastic dial gauge it was located behind the diff assembly but it was right on top so very hard to get any readings at all.
i couldnt get to the guage, i couldnt even fit my arms in the confined spaces so there was no chance of even looking at it with a small mirror.
I however found some wires running of that section one set was black and red and the other two were both yellow.
Anyway, i dc the balck and red switch (one swtich) and then turned the car to on and still got the same error showing 0kms. I thought dc that would have showed full tank but meh im puzzled so im now running out of ideas and may have to opt to get it checked out?

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:41 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

How did you go mate?
It'd be interesting to see what they came up with.

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:27 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

The black wire on the LPG lock off will go to earth, most likely with a terminal on the frame - the red should go to the front and hook up to power to the front lock off at the LPG converter which the solenoid looks the same as in the picture.
Leave these alone - the sender will have an earth which is most likely spliced into the black wire mentioned above, and it's other wire will head up front also. You need to follow this wire, resistance check it to earth - EB/EL's are around 176ohms full, BA's are probably similar.

Generic setups normally have the lockoff power and sender feed follow the LPG service line up to the front - I don't know the Egas setup, the wires might enter the cabin earlier.

The other 'tank' is a mystery - there's no switch in the cabin to change over tanks ??

If the tank is held in the cradle by metal bands, you might be able to loosen them to swivel the tank to gain access - hard to see in small photos. Just be careful with it.

Edit: Just noticed it's a threadmine :( - so won't hold our breath for a reply . . . . .

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA Falcon

Power: 106 rwkw

SA, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
The other 'tank' is a mystery - there's no switch in the cabin to change over tanks ??

Edit: Just noticed it's a threadmine :( - so won't hold our breath for a reply . . . . .

Egas models have 2 tanks in a manifold arangement, so they both fill & empty at the same time....

2003 BA Falcon Egas Taxi Pack - XR Replica
Tpak MKII Build Thread

1984 ZL Fairlane
The Project

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:49 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

I figured it would probably be similar to the scuba tank setup like some wagons have.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA Falcon

Power: 106 rwkw

SA, Australia

not looking forward to getting them tested in a couple years....

I think some major bending over is going to happen....... :(

2003 BA Falcon Egas Taxi Pack - XR Replica
Tpak MKII Build Thread

1984 ZL Fairlane
The Project

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:15 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

I'd imagine they'd need to stay in that cradle to transport them.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]