Fordmods Logo

BA XR8 on gas 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: BA XR8 on gas
Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:27 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hi guys,

Been on the lookout for a new car recently and found a 2002 ba xr8 on gas that looks like it might be just what im looking for. I had a browse through these forums trying to find any word on how these engines handle being on gas but havent found any yet so...

Anyone know how well these boss 260 engines take to gas?

Post subject: Re: BA XR8 on gas
Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:12 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Either vapour or liquid are great.

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:57 am 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

My opinion is that its wrong to run Hi performance cars on gas.
Some of you may have different views on this but personally if i see a hi powered car on gas i shake my head and wonder.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

93EB wrote:
Some of you may have different views on this but personally if i see a hi powered car on gas i shake my head and wonder.

I agree but only if its a basic system on a bigish power motor....but something like GRA orr impco 425 on an I6 is a cost effective answer for a daily....LPG starts to make less sense to me when the conversion goes past the 5K mark, i mean 5K buys a hell a lot of petrol....and lets face it you dont get anything extra back when u sell the car

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

The Boss V8 responds well with LPG. Make sure that you find out what system it is fitted with. Are the small gas injectors/manifolds hidden under the inlet plenum? The only way you will tell thats on LPG is the tank in the boot and the smell of the exhaust. And for the purists, LPG is great with forced induction. You could do more than just shake your heads....

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:41 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

banarcus wrote:
The only way you will tell thats on LPG is the tank in the boot and the smell of the exhaust.

You should not be able to smell gas in the exhaust.

If you do, it's probably because the catalytic converter has been removed - ILLEGAL!

Regards,
Dave

2005 VZ Commodore SV6 with OMVL Dream XXI SVI LPG
2004 BA Falcon XT with Orbital Liquid LPG Injection
2004 BA Falcon XR6 with icom JTG Liquid LPG Injection

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:43 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

93EB wrote:

What if I were to tell you that there are SUBSTANTIAL power gains that can be achieved with today's performance LPG systems?

Performance motor + performance LPG = best bang for the buck.

Personally I think the negativity is a good thing - more cheap LPG for the rest of us! :P

Regards,
Dave

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:03 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: XR8

NSW, Australia

I have an XR8 on gas (Parnell Variable Sequential Injection System) it was installed at about 95, 000 kms and since then I have done over 110,000kms on this system and to date have only had a minor problem (see other post). The car has performed better than I expecetd, only bad point is that the tank is only 50 ltrs but I still get aboit 340kms per tank. This has about halved my running costs. I change the plugs every 50k rather than every 100k and I do the oil everey 10k.

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:13 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Iridium plugs on an injected LPG engine should last MUCH longer than 50,000km. I'd be more inclined to change them every 80,000km. Any less than that and you're wasting your money.

Regards,
Dave

Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:51 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

i got an XR8 BA on LPG... a vapour injection set up... i recon theres good bottom end gains on lpg than on petrol. im running multi point injection rather than a bank of injectors.. each injectors are located right next to the petrol injectors.. runs perfect, it takes the LPG with much pleasure. And let me tell you.. the top end on LPG is sensational... I run it on a 98 tune so theres spark advancement and between petrol and LPG there is no top end difference. I couldnt tell what fuel i was running on. I have it set to start everytime on petrol for 500 revolutions and when coolant temp is above 85. She will throw you back into the seat and your eyeballs in the back of your head all the way to 6200rpm...all on 100% lpg....... and then shake your head..

Best of all... i imported the system, i fitted the system, i had it certified, and i have the software to tune via laptop and diagnose and i will never need a LPG mechanic to look at it.

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

bass wrote:
i got an XR8 BA on LPG... a vapour injection set up... i recon theres good bottom end gains on lpg than on petrol. im running multi point injection rather than a bank of injectors.. each injectors are located right next to the petrol injectors.. runs perfect, it takes the LPG with much pleasure. And let me tell you.. the top end on LPG is sensational... I run it on a 98 tune so theres spark advancement and between petrol and LPG there is no top end difference. I couldnt tell what fuel i was running on. I have it set to start everytime on petrol for 500 revolutions and when coolant temp is above 85. She will throw you back into the seat and your eyeballs in the back of your head all the way to 6200rpm...all on 100% lpg....... and then shake your head..

Best of all... i imported the system, i fitted the system, i had it certified, and i have the software to tune via laptop and diagnose and i will never need a LPG mechanic to look at it.

That's a very good result bass, unfortunately it is a lucky dip in terms of the quality of the product, product knowledge and of course workmanship when it comes to LPG performance in Australia.

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:04 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

banarcus wrote:
That's a very good result bass, unfortunately it is a lucky dip in terms of the quality of the product, product knowledge and of course workmanship when it comes to LPG performance in Australia.

I think the biggest problems with LPG in Australia are:

1. Communication (or lack thereof) between installers and distributors

2. Sub-standard installation quality and aftersales support due to the desire of installers to spend as little time as possible with each vehicle, AND

3. Bureaucracy and red tape (i.e. patents and laws).

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:22 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

up until 5 years or so ago LPG was doing ok. He who needed it used and paid for the install. The available LPG mechanics were the good ones. They did installs and maintaned those vehicles as regular return customers.
Then the grant was introduced.
Price of installation doubled, cowboys apeared to fall from the sky bcoz there is so much money to be made from installation, even though it takes two blokes a good half day to do an install. These cowboys are not interested in changing your leads cap rotor and plugs every year or so, theres little money in it compared to installing. They cant fix problems bcoz they are not interested and lack the knowldge.
LPG is good for taxis, couriers, hire cars, buses, and people that would do 50k a year or more. Oh and BBQ's. If you drive less than that then you will be sure to constantly run into problems with LPG.

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:04 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

+1 Why??

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:33 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EB II XR6 5 Speed

SA, Australia

PoweredByCNG wrote:
banarcus wrote:
The only way you will tell thats on LPG is the tank in the boot and the smell of the exhaust.

You should not be able to smell gas in the exhaust.

If you do, it's probably because the catalytic converter has been removed - ILLEGAL!

Regards,
Dave

thats kind funny dave i think ur wrong. i can smell gas from my exhaust and its got a converter brand new one.

12/92 EBII XR6 - 4.0L SOHC Tickford - Pacemaker 4499 headers - Redback 2.5" exhaust -3.45s
5spd Conversion - U.S. Billet short shifter!!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next