Fordmods Logo

Bad LPG installs. 

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Bad LPG installs.
Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

The first one we are looking at is a Landcruiser Troopy.

Main reason we had it in was some idiot add fitted a stainless tank under the back.
To add to that, said idiot used a plain 'T' fitting to join the two service lines instead of a Hydrostatic 'T' valve.
The service line was also cable tied along its length.
The other big NO NO, was each tank was in dependently switch-able, this can lead to over filling and in worst case catastrophic failure of the tank.

Once we pulled the two tanks out and the false floor out of the back we found the one of the worst mounting (and i use that term loosely) systems i've ever seen.

Post subject: Re: Bad LPG installs.
Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

lol. thats awesome.

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

If that troopy was ever rear ended, it would have ruptured the rear most (stainless) tank and in all likely hood it would have ignited.

The plain 'T' joiner would have then let second tank empty straight in to the fire.
In this car the excess flow valve in the other tank was actually faulty.
Who ever was in the both cars would have been burned alive.

If you think that either funny or awesome, you are an even bigger C**k sucker then I already thought you were.
When are you d**k heads going to realise LPG is not a game.

Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:12 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

You think they could've lined up the brackets so most of the bolts came through between the corrugations - since you can see that from underneath also.

Nice touch using a ball pein to try and flatten the metal where the bolts go through. Shouldn't those bolts in the tray have those largish thick square washers under them to spread the stress??

They should've saved some of the cable ties to use on the wiring :D .

Be interesting to trace the installer from the compliance plate (if there is one :shock: ).

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

snap0964 wrote:
You think they could've lined up the brackets so most of the bolts came through between the corrugations - since you can see that from underneath also.

Nice touch using a ball pein to try and flatten the metal where the bolts go through. Shouldn't those bolts in the tray have those largish thick square washers under them to spread the stress??

They should've saved some of the cable ties to use on the wiring :D .

Be interesting to trace the installer from the compliance plate (if there is one :shock: ).

There was no compliance plate, the install was done in VIC as it was a one owner car until my customer bought it sight unseen and drove it up here.

When I redid the mounting, there are some structural members through the body, we used these members and fitted crush tubes and load spreading washers to top side (the size of my washers exceed the standard set in AS1425) and were cut to fit in the flat sections of floor above the members, 10mm 8.8 bolts with flat washers and nyloc nuts were used, NOT the unmarked cheap s**t bolts the idiot used. All holes drilled were also treated with a rust preventative.

Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:54 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Does AS1425 specify the strength of the tank mounting bolts, e.g. mild or HT ??

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

How old was the install??

Back in the eighties (in Vic) no compliance plate was required for rego. Many cars were converted by their owners some good many bad. It was also common practice by even professional installers to run the service line through garden hose and cable tie it to either brake lines or petrol lines.
At the time I worked in a full service station and some of the installs you would see would make your hair curl. Ex-Forklift tanks were popular. AFL valves were only just starting to appear in newer installs. Most cars were filled up inside the boot and had to be bleed off to find 80% Some of these bleed valves bleed off into the boot space. There was no requirement to have a safety shut off valve in the engine bay only on the tank.

So could this Troopy be that old?

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

snap0964 wrote:
Does AS1425 specify the strength of the tank mounting bolts, e.g. mild or HT ??

Yes it does specify the size and strength of the bolts.

madmax wrote:
How old was the install??

Back in the eighties (in Vic) no compliance plate was required for rego. Many cars were converted by their owners some good many bad. It was also common practice by even professional installers to run the service line through garden hose and cable tie it to either brake lines or petrol lines.
At the time I worked in a full service station and some of the installs you would see would make your hair curl. Ex-Forklift tanks were popular. AFL valves were only just starting to appear in newer installs. Most cars were filled up inside the boot and had to be bleed off to find 80% Some of these bleed valves bleed off into the boot space. There was no requirement to have a safety shut off valve in the engine bay only on the tank.

So could this Troopy be that old?

It's old enough that it was installed before VIC came into line with the rest of the country.
BUT the way the system is meant to work is that these sorts of the things are meant to be picked up during servicing or other work on the vehicle and be bought up to the current standard.
VIC has been doing it properly for over 15 years now............

The sad thing is the next to cars i'm going to post about where also done in VIC, and you'll shudder when you see it.

Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:25 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

Showtime f**k.

massively interested in this thread, nothing worse than a bad BBQ bottle intall. No offence, but I really want to see how badly someone can screw something up, especially having a trade and installer training behind them.

I have a car.

Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

While it shocks me, I have seen plenty of bad gas installs done by installers down here in Vic. Just remember, you can get your gas ticket without being a qualified mechanic down here.

There are many that have slipped thru the cracks, in relation to compliance updates and making dodgy installs safe.

IIRC compliance plates come into use for LPG in Vic in the early 90's, but I have seen a couple of different versions of the plates, some with very little info on them. (earliest plates)

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
If that troopy was ever rear ended, it would have ruptured the rear most (stainless) tank and in all likely hood it would have ignited.

The plain 'T' joiner would have then let second tank empty straight in to the fire.

If you think that either funny or awesome, you are an even bigger C**k sucker then I already thought you were.

hey. go and get f**k a**hole. don't go biting my head off. i meant it was awesome how bad the install was. not awesome that someone could die. get off your high horse asswipe

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WILDEB wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:

hey. go and get f**k a**hole. don't go biting my head off. i meant it was awesome how bad the install was. not awesome that someone could die. get off your high horse asswipe

:wink:

Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 2:34 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
WILDEB wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:

:wink:

:lol: :lol:

I have a car.

Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

bad installs seem to be common down here in vic thats for sure.
we need to start a workshop name and shame thread so people know who to steer clear of when looking for an lpg installer.

Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

jaysway wrote:
bad installs seem to be common down here in vic thats for sure.
we need to start a workshop name and shame thread so people know who to steer clear of when looking for an lpg installer.

Gotta be very careful with that one. Probably only included workshop name & address, then pics, absolutely nothing else at all. That way it would be a "pictures tell the story" and no chance of someone talking rubbish about it & the forums getting sued.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next