Fordmods Logo

BF XT with Orbital Liquid injection 

Page 3 of 6 [ 78 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Re: BF XT with Orbital Liquid injection
Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:07 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon GLI

WA, Australia

I may do just that, but first I would like to see how the system turns out to be, rather than preach to everyone how great it is if I have only just installed it. Early indications are that it really is a great gas system; it runs really well, you would hardly know it was there. So far so good; we'll see what the economy will average out to be. Won't measure that as yet, as it is brand new, and I've tested out its performance a few too many times :D .

Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Post it up and give fortnightly updates on how economy is going and any issues so strat the thread on fordforums so people can start to have a read and pictures of it all

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

Bit of an update with the system, did the installer training program on Sataday & most of there bugs have being ioned out earlier through there develoment back in WA there was an issue with pump noise but again thats sorted out...the running of the test car that we had (FGXR6) was quieter that if it was on petrol, the changeing from gas to petrol & viser versa was unnoticable the tacho didn't even flicker on the test drive I took this till red line & was very impressed..... at this stage NSW as I was told cann't change some of the paramiters as was inicated by Poweredby CNG with his car, purge time & changing back to pertol at the red line end of the scale......BUT you can use the Herrod/SCT edit to retune petrol & the lpg system will mimick the fuel scales upto a point ??? there are 5 injector sizes available the dark brown which will be in the XR6's & the XR8's are the biggest these can not be changed at all !! so bascily when tuning you have to tune to the max for petrol & thats it.... you cann't use & retune with bigger injectors for more power on petrol so if you max out say at 220rwkw for a XR6 n/a then the gas will go to that power reading as well also you cannt run these injectors on a std ECU due to the ohms & amp rating, they will blow the injector drivers in the std computors. But if you wanted to run different drivers you can get around this ???
With kits that are availble is from BA & up in the Ford range sedans & wagons, will be expanding to the Territories & other 4x4 & SUV's.... these kits will not be seperated so you cann't buy injectors tanks & pumps & run your own electronics.. they estmiate on a sedan 400-450+ km from a tank pending driver & conditions
In all I think this system IMO is for what it was ment to do the best on the market for liquid injection & I'm sure there will be peolpe out there with other views,

thanks
joe

Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i have a mate who works in the industry and i was a bit shattered when he told me that most kits are sold as kits and its very hard to buy just a few bits or design a kit to suit a custom build.
i guess it is very new technology, but to me its just another fuel system.
im hoping over time it becomes as simple as piecing together a normal petrol EFI system where you can run gas injection off a normal petrol ECU using lambda.
im sure there may already be ECUs out there that wouldn't know the difference between a petrol injector or LPG injector (or one that does know the difference and can be tuned to suit either)
would really only need gas tank and pump and injectors then, making costs for installs alot lower.

will be great to see where the industry goes with it all

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:25 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

AUXR8 2 wrote:
they estmiate on a sedan 400-450+ km from a tank pending driver & conditions

With 50/50 city/highway driving, 350km per tank (~50L @ ~14L/100km) is already pushing it. To protect the pump though, you would really want to fuel up after 300km.

Regards,
Dave

2005 VZ Commodore SV6 with OMVL Dream XXI SVI LPG
2004 BA Falcon XT with Orbital Liquid LPG Injection
2004 BA Falcon XR6 with icom JTG Liquid LPG Injection

Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:06 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

ashcook wrote:
Dave, I run my LPG tank dry every time. Is this an issue?

Are you running a LI system?

Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:51 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

ashcook wrote:
No, vapour. Should be no problem then?

This thread is about Liquid Injection, so what I said above regarding tank-mounted pumps does NOT apply to gas-phase systems.

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

PoweredByCNG wrote:
AUXR8 2 wrote:
they estmiate on a sedan 400-450+ km from a tank pending driver & conditions

With 50/50 city/highway driving, 350km per tank (~50L @ ~14L/100km) is already pushing it. To protect the pump though, you would really want to fuel up after 300km.

Regards,
Dave

on a duel fuel wouldn't really matter as you know the system has 2 devices that govens when it switches over to petrol, preasure switch & the tank level so if your tank is low it will switch to petrol automaticly & there will always be fluid in the tank to keep the pump happy.... so if you get 300, 350 or 400 km to a tank or trying to get the most out the system for distance there is no chance of damaging any componets due to not enough fuel.....

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:07 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

AUXR8 2 wrote:
on a duel fuel wouldn't really matter as you know the system has 2 devices that govens when it switches over to petrol, preasure switch & the tank level so if your tank is low it will switch to petrol automaticly & there will always be fluid in the tank to keep the pump happy.... so if you get 300, 350 or 400 km to a tank or trying to get the most out the system for distance there is no chance of damaging any componets due to not enough fuel.....

That's what my installer and Orbital told me as well, but Orbital did say that you run a higher risk of damaging the pressure gear if you continuously run the tank dry. It's just like continuously running a petrol tank dry.

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

no not true, once the level in the tank reachers a certain min height, the LI pump turns off the petrol pump as always keeps running & untill you have at least 30% lpg in the tank the LI system wont run as it will give you an audiodable sound indicating so this is one othere there saftey system which they have incorprated for the pump

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:02 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

AUXR8 2 wrote:
no not true, once the level in the tank reachers a certain min height, the LI pump turns off the petrol pump as always keeps running & untill you have at least 30% lpg in the tank the LI system wont run as it will give you an audiodable sound indicating so this is one othere there saftey system which they have incorprated for the pump

Yes, I realise that. If you run the tank down 'til it changes over to petrol (long after the gauge starts beeping at you), you'll get around 50L into it when refuelling. My installer was able to get 55.5L into the tank when he first installed the system, so it's safe to say that the 'reserve' LPG to satisfy the pump is around 5-6L. I would still play it safe though, those pumps won't come cheap if / when they go.

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

playing it safe is always good, but from what I've seen this system has got everything coverd remember this system has been made for the average driver with no mechanical knowlege so all of the dumb things that can & will happen have been simulated & tested, the pumps are a 200lph fuel pump with ceramic bearings which you can buy from the USA & yeh there not cheap..

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:12 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

AUXR8 2 wrote:
playing it safe is always good, but from what I've seen this system has got everything coverd remember this system has been made for the average driver with no mechanical knowlege so all of the dumb things that can & will happen have been simulated & tested, the pumps are a 200lph fuel pump with ceramic bearings which you can buy from the USA & yeh there not cheap..

I asked PLENTY of questions when I was provided with a guided tour of Orbital headquarters in Perth. One of them was a question about the design of the pump. Earlier incarnations of the Vialle LPI system used AC pumps in the tank (I believe the European systems still have these) with no low level protection but the Australian systems use a DC pump that does have low level protection.

All I can say is that the FG Falcon E-GAS II engine will be one impressive piece of kit.

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

All I can say is that the FG Falcon E-GAS II engine will be one impressive piece of kit.

totally agree with you 100%

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Do u guyz think that think the knew FG with E GAS engine would be the standard engine that there all getting or it should be similar to surrent E GAS??? eg with stronger rods and more comp???

I like this Orbital kit but im liking the JTG kit more for the exact Pro reasons that PoweredByCNG has already stated.

Is there anyone that can provide pictures of where the injectors go into the manifold???

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 6  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next