blow-back 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: blow-back
Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:21 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 98 EL Falcon

VIC, Australia

hi all
dads got a 95 fairlane ghia and he converted that to gas. he kept the factory snorkel on but when travellilng at 100, if the accelerator was touched, the car would kinda just shudder and felt like it was gonna stall. took it back to the gas pplz and they said it was because of the sorkel that "blow-back" was happening. just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this as i just recently got my el converted to gas and wanna do a cold air intake.
craig

Post subject: Re: blow-back
Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

daboonka wrote:
hi all
dads got a 95 fairlane ghia and he converted that to gas. he kept the factory snorkel on but when travellilng at 100, if the accelerator was touched, the car would kinda just shudder and felt like it was gonna stall. took it back to the gas pplz and they said it was because of the sorkel that "blow-back" was happening. just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this as i just recently got my el converted to gas and wanna do a cold air intake.
craig

Blow back? Sounds like they are blowing smoke up your a***. Some guns use blow back to reload the chamber.

A car that shudders if you touch the accelerator can have a few things cause the condition, such as poor fuel mixture or breakdown of the ignition system, if the shudder is engine related.

Has the car been modified since the conversion was fit, ie larger air intake pipes, or other mods? Has the conversion only just been fit? If so has it been back to be re-tuned after run in?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:47 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

yeah car has been taken back for a re-tune after a long run in. the gas guy said that it was the snorkel that was causing it. so still running the airbox with panel filter jsut without the snorkel. experienced the back-fire on my car the other day aswell. was about to stall after starting it on gas so hit the accelerator n heard a pop. then car died. started after a few cranks though so no damage done. still not sure how a cold air intake causes a car running on cas to back-fire. any thoughts?

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

All it could do is cause the car to run lean due to more air getting in than what the gas was originally tuned for. When i changed my factory EB snorkle & airbox to TB pipe, i had to retune the LPG side of things, as the car was running very lean after that.

Which shows how well the XH ute snorkle & the EA pipe flow in comparison to the stock EB crap.

I would be thinking that during the run in, the spark plug leads have started to break down or the plugs, leading to ignition issues that cause the issue. My EB killed the leads not long after it was converted.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:11 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

oh cheers for that toranaguy. yeah i recn when i get around to it will do my cold-air intake and then just get it re-tuned. had a good set-up on my liberty. gonna see if i can get a similar sort of thing on the el. mabye can use those brake vents.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]