Fordmods Logo

BP vs Shell 

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: BP vs Shell
Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:31 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: DL LTD - AU LTD Limousine

NSW, Australia

I was wondering if anyone knew the difference in quality between these 2 LPGs and also has anyone else noted that you get more mileage from one than u do the other???

Cheers
Mars

Post subject: Re: BP vs Shell
Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

Mar55s wrote:
I was wondering if anyone knew the difference in quality between these 2 LPGs and also has anyone else noted that you get more mileage from one than u do the other???

Cheers
Mars

law states that petrol is petrol, lpg is lpg.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:12 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

true enough... but that wasn't my question :?:

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

I wouldn't touch shell LPG if my life depended on it. It has a higher sulphur content and is non as refined.

If you run a liquid injected LPG setup you'll be f**k if you run 2 tankfuls of shell back to back. Injectors will have to come out for a clean. This is information given to me by someone who is in the LPG game.

Us guys on the mixer ring setups don't fare too badly with shell. We just get a drop in the economy and have to drain our converters more often.

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

Froudey wrote:
Mar55s wrote:

Cheers
Mars

law states that petrol is petrol, lpg is lpg.

there are definite differences between brands...

the butane/propane mix varies....

from my experience mobile/caltex have the most butane
then bp/shell
the supagas (100%) propane..

dont know anything about the sulphur but ive done about 50,000km on this 2nd hand convertor without having to touch anything....most of that was on supagas

theoretically propane has a higher energy density than butane....

i have seen economy vary by about 10% from brand to brand....but then its almost impossible to test accurately....without doing about 100 tests and comparing the data i cant really draw any definate conclusions.....

im happy to jsut put whatever the nearest station has in when i need it...

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:16 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Interesting... i've had mine for about a year and have mainly used Shell all this time.. only recently i filled up at BP and seem to be getting better economy plus i had heard that not all LPGs are the same...
thanx for the answer xcabbi

Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:44 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

Mar55s wrote:
Interesting... i've had mine for about a year and have mainly used Shell all this time.. only recently i filled up at BP and seem to be getting better economy plus i had heard that not all LPGs are the same...

quite a few years ago i used the gas from the taxi joint ...................... car did run differantly

duno about now a days :roll:

Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

Mad2 wrote:
Mar55s wrote:

quite a few years ago i used the gas from the taxi joint ...................... car did run differantly

duno about now a days :roll:

all ULP is NOT the same, & the law says it should be!

shell fuel & as i hear from many sources, gas, is crap. best stuff to use is the LPG from taxi depo's, they run less component gas (cant remember the name, but used for propellant much like a spray can) & more flammable combustion mix (butane or something i think) most taxi depos let you fill up at the going rate as they buy in bulk & sell cheap to the taxi drivers

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Jeez didn't even know there was a difference, and I drove cabs for 17 years and have had 5 different gas cars..

So lets get a verdict - what IS the best gas for performance , and what is the best for economy (and yeah it would be nice if both were the same, i.e. best gas for performance is ALSO the best economy wise..)

I'm sure every gas car owner on this forum would love to know!
Interesting these comments re taxi depots, too - I've driven for 3 or 4 owners that worked from servo's as their base, in each case they were, as far as I could tell, just servo's with no particular brand that was different to non - taxi servo's...several of them owned their servo outright, ran 10 - 15 cabs, never once have I heard an owner talk of any advantage or recommend any particular brand, though - you'd have thought that if there was some magic advantage they'd tell their drivers to only fill at such and such a servo and/or brand..maybe the only real advantage to taxi depots is that they go thru a lot of gas, so it doesn't sit around in the tank as long? (I know petrol goes `off' after a certain time - is gas the same?)

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

I have had performance & economy increases when running (and re-tune my injection setup too) Supagas LPG, as it's 100% propane. I usually run Shell or Caltex/Safeway LPG, using fuel dockets tho, as money is tight, i get the dockets for free & the SupaGas outlet is 30mins drive from my place, so unless I'm near it, it's not worth driving that far for fuel!

I don't know about Shell LPG having more sulfur in it over other brands. I thought that most of Victoria's LPG was supplied by Shell from Corio Bay, down near Geelong?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

SupaGas must be an Eastern states thing - never heard of it... what `brand' is the servo that sells it (or is the whole place called that?)

Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

tearlejc wrote:
SupaGas must be an Eastern states thing - never heard of it... what `brand' is the servo that sells it (or is the whole place called that?)

They are a gas place like BOC gasses, but they run some servo's too, so you can fill up your car from their 100% propane bowsers. I find it's usually the same price or slightly cheaper than autogas (regular lpg), and the price doesn't move around too much for a period of 1mth.

http://www.supagas.com.au/

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA Falcon

Power: 106 rwkw

SA, Australia

It depends on the car sometimes...

My wifes AU Futura Series 1 Aftermarket Mixer ring LPG runs best on Shell..hates everything else.....

My previous AU S1 Factory duel fuel got better economy on BP & Mobil, ran brilliant on 100% propane, Shell it just ran crap and got 40-50 kays less economy....

My BA Egas doesnt seem to concerned, but does get better economy on BP/Mobil. Once it trains itself on 100% propane its better again but needs a couple tanks to learn. Still get crap economy on Shell tho... Have been filling up recently at a new servo which is a Woolworths(Safeway)/Caltex and that has been fine so far too.....

LPG isnt LPG by a long shot.... 100% Propane is the 98 Octane of the ULP world....

2003 BA Falcon Egas Taxi Pack - XR Replica
Tpak MKII Build Thread

1984 ZL Fairlane
The Project

Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
tearlejc wrote:

They are a gas place like BOC gasses, but they run some servo's too, so you can fill up your car from their 100% propane bowsers. I find it's usually the same price or slightly cheaper than autogas (regular lpg), and the price doesn't move around too much for a period of 1mth.

http://www.supagas.com.au/

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Well there you go, there IS an Adelaide site:

SUPAGAS ADELAIDE
Cnr Ridgeway and Bellchambers Roads, Elizabeth West, SA 5113
Ph: (08) 8252 7472 Fax: (08) 8252 6939
Email: supasa@supagas.com.au

Thanks, ToranaGuy !!

Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Your welcome tearlejc. Hope you guys can go & fill up on 100% propane there!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next