Fordmods Logo

Brand new LPG install, really not happy 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: Brand new LPG install, really not happy
Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:04 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Hey guys, just got my EF converted with a brand new Sprintgas system and OMVL mixer and have taken it for a drive today and I cant say I'm at all impressed. It's a complete disappointment and the car just drives like s**t now. Before I start, I do plan on taking it back to the place I had it done it's just I can't for a while because of work.

Basically when on gas the car idles really rough, so bad that if you have any passengers in the back the exhaust rattles against the body, beautiful. Also if you give the car a slight rev or when coming to a stop in neutral every other time it will just about stall. Bit of a prick in heavy traffic inching forward and having the car nearly stall all the time. Otherwise on gas it seems to drive smoothly but the power is a bit of a let down, but I expcted that. Wheras on petrol there's basically the complete opposite problem, the idle is fine but driving is horrible. When accelerating hard or decelerating, especially when gearing down, the car jumps and shudders like a learner's behind the wheel. They tried to tell me on the phone I must have blocked injectors but hmm I'm pretty sure I would've noticed such a problem beforehand, you know, when the car was only on petrol.

It's really quite f**k annoying especially after forking over all this cash and I'm tempted to tell them rip it all out and go back to straight petrol where I didn't have problems (well not as many haha). Any ideas on what I can do or similar experiences you guys have been through?

Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA Falcon Classic

WA, Australia

Give it 1000km and get the free service/tune most gas places offer. it takes time before it runs correctly, and some gas ECUs work before the engine ECU, meaning it might need to learn a new tune.

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:57 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Fairlane

QLD, Australia

Im thinking vacume leak for this problem seems to suit for both the petrol and gas problem.

Could be the hose fittings not tight enough from the converter to the intake, or something that was removed wasn't reseated correctly like intake pipe. But I do think a leak anywhere between the air flow meter and mixer plate.

Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:11 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Yeah I plan on taking it back, it seems to have improved slightly though that might be just placebo and me getting used to it gradually. Don't I have to run differently gapped plugs and different leads and oil? I checked today and the place I got it done didn't bother to change anything even though they were supposed to. I'll poke around for vac leaks tomorrow thanks for the idea.

Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:55 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

No need to use different leads but for plugs, use cheap copper plugs and gap them to 0.8mm using a feeler gauge. Change plugs religiously every 15,000km or so.

Regards,
Dave

2005 VZ Commodore SV6 with OMVL Dream XXI SVI LPG
2004 BA Falcon XT with Orbital Liquid LPG Injection
2004 BA Falcon XR6 with icom JTG Liquid LPG Injection

Post subject: Re: Brand new LPG install, really not happy
Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

Fetus Pie wrote:
if you have any passengers in the back the exhaust rattles against the body

:? you better get under and have a look around for that one...

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

I had the same problem. WHo converted your car? - The Gas Man did mine, did a s**t job, and couldnt fix the problem.

Start by looking for a VOltage Drop - From the Battery to Engine, and Engine to BOdy, and Battery to Body. If you have one (weve seen up to half a volt) the o2 sensor wont make sense to the LPG ECU, and your mixtures go all over the shop. Car also stalls.

Ive got mine sorted now - nice big cables from Battery to Engine, Engine to Body, and really important, Battery to body.

Cheers

Nigel

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:54 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Hey guys I just went in for my 1000km tune.

Sigh.

Anyway first off bit of an update. After a while the idle on gas kinda sorta levelled out a little bit, but that's about it, still kinda rough. I managed to fix the exhaust problem too, it seems they decided to completely resit the exhausts position so they could get the bolts for the gas tank through the body and didn't put it back into place. So the whole rear section and tip was crooked and would rattle on the bumper and rattle on the absurdly long bolts they used to bolt the tank in and didnt cut down. Ezygas' response when I called them "It must already have been like that not our problem". Called past the place where I got my exhaust done out of the blue (Highpoint Exhausts in Maribyrnong, absolutely fantastic people couldn't reccomend them any more highly) and they put it straight on the hoist, put it back into place properly and all is sweet now.

At the service I told them that the idle on gas was still a bit rough, the idle on petrol hunts everywhere, on gas the car stalls the first time every single goddamn time on startup, car also almost stalls when clutching in with the air con on and occasionally also when its off just to be a prick and that also the car has developed pinging from 2-3 grand while running on petrol! They said no worries come back later.
THE CAR RUNS EXACTLY THE f**k SAME.
Idle is still rough on gas, idle on petrol is rooted, car still f**k stalls every time, car will only occasionally almost stall when clutching in now instead of all the time oh and also the pinging is my fault. It was like that before hand. Apparently I have blocked injectors and just didn't notice at all while the car was on petrol only beforehand.
Piss off.
Is a blocked injector even going to cause pinging anyway?

Nigel, I've checked and cant see a voltage drop though I do have a cheapy DSE multimeter. I was looking at upgrading the cables for audio related reasons sometime in the future. By battery to engine do you mean battery to alternator cable or is there another one I'm not following properly? I know what you mean by the other two ones though. Thanks for the idea :)

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I mean the EARTH wires.... not the power ones.

Multimeter to the Battery Negative Terminal - then try the Exhaust Manifold with the other end.

Good theory says 0v. Your most likely going to see around half a volt (guess), and if so, then the O2 readings that your LPG ECU is trying to tune around arent going to be right (by a lot).

Also check from Battery Neg to Body. Probably the same, perhaps not as bad

Nigel

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

Only barbaques run on gas. if it didnt come that way factory, dont do it.

but check the earth.

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

So, so often people prove that facts dont matter!. Lets all be reeeeeednnnnnicks!

Ive preferred LPG for 15 years now. The benefits *far* outweigh your fears!

Nigel

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

im not scared of it, im just saying the majority of fords put on it dont like it and its through this site we usually here of it.

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:27 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

s**t, yeah, nevermind. I realised where it was pretty much as soon as I typed it. Will use a thicker gauge wire and see how it goes.

fiftyone wrote:
Only barbaques run on gas. if it didnt come that way factory, dont do it.

but check the earth.

Pretty sure tickford gas came from factory mate. Don't think half the things on your car came from factory either ;)

This car, in it's current issue filled state, runs better than any commodore or magna I've driven on gas. Most falcons seem to take to gas alot better than any other car around. Hello taxis. I cant think of any single thing I've had done to my car that worked perfectly, instantly, first time around with no messing around.

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:01 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EB V8

NSW, Australia

fiftyone wrote:
im not scared of it, im just saying the majority of fords put on it dont like it and its through this site we usually here of it.

You read about in on here because most threads (on most subjects) are a request for help or info. You're not going to see a thread that says; "My car is running absolutely fine with no issues whatsoever. What should I do about it?" :roll:

The only problems I had on LPG have been ISC related (hunting at idle, stalling). Replaced the ISC and it got better, but the EECIV still got confused occasionally (trying to idle just a tad too slow when cold).

Production Editor of Performance Motoring at Express Media Group
shollier@expresspublications.com.au
Phone: (02) 9741 3838 (direct line)

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Ive had 2 LPG Conversions that ran very well. First was in an XD, with the XF MPI Manifolds - No computer, just straight impco gear. Awesome. Oh yeah - no EEC Either - just the standard XE Dizzy.

The EB I had LPG Injection on too - that was awesome.

Most of the problems to do with LPG Come from trying to use a computer to "adjust" the mixtures. The best setups are not-managed at idle, and go from there. Bypass the EEC if its possible and they run beautifully

Nigel

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]