Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: BRC VSI sequent 56 on AU2
Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
I don't know about them having less flow. Metal ones are usually used on LPG cars to they don't break due to a backfire.

The pcv valve you have might be jammed open with crap & need a good clean too. That would allow too much blow by into the intake system.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
I believe the newer plastic ones (black as opposed to grey I think) are used to stop as much oil being sucked back into the intake. As said they can release the ball into the motor on a backfire but this should not be a problem on SVI LPG.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

It's not only the ball that can get back into the motor after a backfire, but the plastic bits when they break up too.

PCV Valve operation on Wikipedia.org <- a good read

It's true that a SVI system won't have backfire issues like a traditional mixer setup, there isn't a big intake full of fuel & air to blow up. :D I can't remember having a backfire on my injection setup.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:15 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AUII Futura

VIC, Australia

twase wrote:
ToranaGuy wrote:
I don't know about them having less flow. Metal ones are usually used on LPG cars to they don't break due to a backfire.

The pcv valve you have might be jammed open with crap & need a good clean too. That would allow too much blow by into the intake system.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
I believe the newer plastic ones (black as opposed to grey I think) are used to stop as much oil being sucked back into the intake. As said they can release the ball into the motor on a backfire but this should not be a problem on SVI LPG.

where can i get one of these? and how much.

and why am i getting so much oil vapour coming in.

Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

They should be available at places like repco & bursons. No idea on price, i have not had to change one in years. Get a grommet for it too, they then to go hard. If you find yours is hard, remove the rocker cover to remove the pcv & grommet, so you don't get plastic chunks inside your engine.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

changed pcv to plastic type ($10 from ford), and no noticeable difference. problem is back to square one after about a thousand k's.... its not really chewing through oil, so i'm not too sure!
could it by some chance be my crank angle or cam angle sensors? i think they were the only sensors that were from the old engine and swapped into the new engine.
cheers

Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hey mate,

Didn't realize you had replied with issues still. I'd run ECU diagnostics to see if the CAS is showing up as faulty, or anything else for that matter.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:14 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
Hey mate,

Didn't realize you had replied with issues still. I'd run ECU diagnostics to see if the CAS is showing up as faulty, or anything else for that matter.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

yea thats the next plan. i just did an ECU reset, and it really shows how bad the problem is, but its also like that on petrol. so whatever the petrol is getting wrong, the gas is just mimicking petrol operation right? wheres a good place to take it... i called around a few places yesterday. most said they were busy for a few weeks. ultra-tune said $95. whats the best place to go and a reasonable price to pay?

Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Are you looking for a workshop to do diagnostics on the ECU? I don't know if i would take it to ultra tune, altho these days they are supposed to know what they are doing with LPG setup's too.

A few years ago i asked them if they could tune my LPG Injection. They said sure, sure, then i asked them to have a look at it. The mechanic had never seen LPG injection, the look on his face was gold, he didn't have a clue! I think that was back in 2006 or 2007.

If there is something out of whack or wrong on the petrol side of it, the LPG will probably mimick the issue. That happens on my EB with Easyjet Injection.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:57 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
Are you looking for a workshop to do diagnostics on the ECU? I don't know if i would take it to ultra tune, altho these days they are supposed to know what they are doing with LPG setup's too.

A few years ago i asked them if they could tune my LPG Injection. They said sure, sure, then i asked them to have a look at it. The mechanic had never seen LPG injection, the look on his face was gold, he didn't have a clue! I think that was back in 2006 or 2007.

If there is something out of whack or wrong on the petrol side of it, the LPG will probably mimick the issue. That happens on my EB with Easyjet Injection.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

i'll try a local joint auto-trac i think he's called. he's lpg converter. so i'm sure he'll know what he's talking about, but not sure if he'll have computer diagnostics stuff for petrol side.
otherwise thinking of ford.
cheers

Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

What side of melb are you from? If your over the west side, you could try out Rapid Flow in Hoppers Crossing. I've had some work done there on my g/f's Tx5 turbo & they were always honest & good to deal with.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

yea i'm down west side too. keilor. not too far a drive to hoppers. i'll give em a yell
definately, happier going somewhere on someones recommendation of good service than just anywhere. gonna give this autotrac guy a shot first though as he's just a 5 min drive away haha.
thanks!

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:46 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

ok, so i took it to "autotrac". told them the problem etc. no fault codes were logged in the ECU, however when testing the car on lpg, found that:
the TPS dropped signal at times, and the oxygen sensor spikes at times.
he also noted a slight miss on take-off with (suspected coil pack) which is strange as i've changed it 3 times even for a new one from ford! (is my AU killing coil packs? or should i try some new plugs as i know one of my bosch ones cracked and i replaced it, also using new top-gun leads).

what i've noticed is that the exhaust has been going blacker than it usually would (over past few thousand k's). and i'm not sure what that suggests. as its not blowing smoke.

so... the car used to be on mixer ring system. and i'm sure some wires were spliced for that. but since having a NEW engine installed i'm sure the loom was re-spliced when putting it on injected gas. should i just check over the loom etc.?

cheers, adam
(i know its a lot of info to go through and consider, but i really appreciate the help!)

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I would be going over the loom, sounds like something isn't quite right there....

How old are the top gun leads? I didn't have much luck with them on my EB Ghia - I ended up with a set of ICE leads and they have been great, had them for about 18mths now, no issues. I went thru 3 or 4 sets of cheapy leads like top gun, champion & a cheapish set of bosch leads in the 18mths prior.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:37 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: XF 5 LIT P/ VAN EF 5 LIT FUTURA

VIC, Australia

Hi I know a guy that worked at Impco [home of BRC]. I got my BRC injectors from him for my Salt Racer. I will ask him if he minds me giving you his number, he may be of help. Regards TPVM.

SALT IS FOR RACING ON. SAUCE IS FOR FISH & CHIPS.

Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:33 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
I would be going over the loom, sounds like something isn't quite right there....

How old are the top gun leads? I didn't have much luck with them on my EB Ghia - I ended up with a set of ICE leads and they have been great, had them for about 18mths now, no issues. I went thru 3 or 4 sets of cheapy leads like top gun, champion & a cheapish set of bosch leads in the 18mths prior.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

they were the top-gun 300 series. a few months old. and coil was a genuine ford one put in at the same time. as for spark plugs i am running bosch double platinums but i increased the gap from 0.8mm to 1.0, i'm not sure if that would adversely effect the spark. i also had the bosch with 4 prongs but they were the same.
ok so i'm going to go over the TPS wiring, i suspect the oxy sensor spike was from the "miss" that was occuring so i'm not sure if i should waste time there.

after reading this also: http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php ... roblems+au
i'm going to run a test just running on petrol for a few days and seeing what my consumption is like (it seems every $20 i pour in lasts me well under 100k's.) and that might mean the MAP sensor (apparently hard to diagnose in the AU's).

thanks guys.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next