Fordmods Logo

Bung lpg on an EBII 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Bung lpg on an EBII
Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:49 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EB Falcon

NSW, Australia

My EBII's lpg system hasn't been working for about 2 months now.. its running a s**t 17year old hartog mixer, an APA tank and God nows wtf the computer unit is.. just a black box with white lines and writting on it.. after completly taking it out and apart i still dont have a clue.. but i have been told through a free and not very detailed inspection this is the problem... got quoted 600 for it which really annoys me as with the rebate which i cant get on my car i could of had a far better system for that money. If any one out there has one of these units in a car thats wrecking im more then interested in it.. but what do you guys out there recomend i do?? i dont wanna spend more then what the s**t LPG system is worth getting it to work..

Post subject: Re: Bung lpg on an EBII
Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Is your tank in test date? If not, I'd remove the LPG completly, goto your RTA & do a change of fuels & make it a single fuel, petrol only car again. Remove old LPG compliance plate, if your install had one.

Once that is done, book in for a new install, get it done & then claim the grant, if you haven't claimed the grant on any other car's in the time period they set out for the rules of the grant. Then you should be able to claim the grant as it's a complete new install.**

I've seen conversions only costing $300 out of pocket with the current level of the grant, much cheaper than fixing up your system.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

** PS: please double check this - but this is what i've been advised in regards to my panel van that has a 25 year old LPG system that doesn't work.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:25 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: fairmont

VIC, Australia

I would be very, very careful trying this.
What you are stating is actually the same as committing fraud.
Now don't get angry at me I don't make the bloody rules.

You will find that if the vehicle has been registered as a dual fuel (or LPG only) vehicle at some point in its life and you claim the rebate that you will be rejected. And if they can prove you have removed the system and then used the grant on a re-install (even with new parts that's what it is) they will chase after you and have grounds for prosecution.

As far as not spending more than what the LPG system is worth you need to consider how important running on LPG really is to you and add it up that way. Some people will have NO issue spending alot of money on their old LPG systems as it saves them a small fortune and would have paid for itself several times over in its lifetime.
If you are not doing the kilometers to warrant spending $600 on getting the LPG to work then I would be removing it altogether as it is robbing your petrol system of performance and economy all the time due to the LPG mixer placing a significant restriction on the intake.
If you remove the mixer and get the car running mint on petrol you'll probably find it doesn't chew as much juice and goes a heap better.

I hope this helps you a bit.
Its a hard decision to make i know.
At least with LPG you will have a chance at making it pay for itself. Normal vehicle repairs generally do not. They just keep getting worse and worse...and worse.. and worse till it all becomes too much and you slash your wrists.... LOL... Just joking.

Let us know what you think.
And if you can, tell us what the symptoms were when the car stopped running on LPG. We may be able to help you out there also. you never know it could be just a blown fuse or something really simple like that which has been overlooked. But if it is the converter thats not too bad either.

Oh and Merry Christmas and Happy new year guys.

Cheers.
Blownba

off on a tangent

Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

blownba wrote:
I would be very, very careful trying this.
What you are stating is actually the same as committing fraud.
Now don't get angry at me I don't make the bloody rules.

You will find that if the vehicle has been registered as a dual fuel (or LPG only) vehicle at some point in its life and you claim the rebate that you will be rejected. And if they can prove you have removed the system and then used the grant on a re-install (even with new parts that's what it is) they will chase after you and have grounds for prosecution.

I won't be angry about it mate, it's only what a number of LPG installers have said could be done. One installer i know has done this a number of times, apparently without any issues, but they could be saying that to get business as well!

Interesting that you state this, and yes i did say to please double check that,but is it really committing fraud? Fraud would be not actually fitting the new system & collecting the grant, or if the old system is too old to have a compliance plate, to have it repaired, complianced as now a new system & then collecting the grant.

The guidelines don't actually state that a vehicle is not eligible if it was once upon a time converted to lpg, but that old conversion was removed....

I have had a read thru the grant guide lines doc, found at http://www.ausindustry.gov.au/EnergyandFuels/LPGVehicleScheme/Documents/Customer%20Guidelines/LPG%20Customer%20Guidelines%20-%20June%202009.pdf and have found nothing specifically stating an old & non working system can't be removed, vehicle details changed & then apply for the grant to have a new system that is complianced fit to your car.

It does state Repairs, maintenance or upgrades to existing LPG systems are not eligible. Fitting a new system to a car that once upon a time had LPG, but at the time of the new system being fit didn't have LPG, isn't an upgrade. It's a grey line that you would probably need to get the LPG rebate guys to put into writing that you are allowed to do it before taking that path.

Anyways, i'm sure if it will only cost $600 to have the system fixed, you would save that in petrol costs over the course of a year, so it would be money well spent.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:08 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EB Falcon

NSW, Australia

Thanks for the imput Torana Guy helping me weigh up my options, never considered doing that befor but the tank is still in date till 2012... would get it just repaired as i was quoted as it will pay its self off in under half a year.. but all though I like the price of running lpg the old system it has been a hassle and I am really unsure how much longer i will have this car for (my guess is about 3-5 months).. though i really like my eb as its been a great, reliable (at least in petrol) and enjoyable drive but I've been considering moving on to my second car, something like a xr6 ef, ba or xc... still havnt really made up my mind yet on which or when.

Befor the LPG system decided not to wanna run anymore it had a tendency to occasionaly stall maybe once a day or so in its last month, i thought it was due to the sensetivity either to rich or to poor for running in the low revs but dont really know, it could of been it on its way out. with the inspection i had on it the guy only loked at it for about 5 mins or so... dont know how indepth it was but he was sure it was the computer unit. The swich changes over but there is no change over of the fules, just keeps running on petrol. What are some obvious things I should look for that might have been overlooked that could cause the system to no longer work?

also for the computer controle unit ie been quoted 50-100 for it from a wreckers but after going to almost every one in the area still cant find it, also im pretty sure its the same one the used in the tickford xr 6's fitted with lpg as it apears very simillar and has the same inputs. if any one out there has the same or one of these compatible units im very interested in it perchasing it.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]