Fordmods Logo

Buying 2003 Ford Futura Dedicated Gas 

Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Buying 2003 Ford Futura Dedicated Gas
Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:20 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Hi all,

I'm buying the above car and while I know it's factory fitted dedicated gas I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what type of gas system the car runs? I was told it was gas injection but would that be vapour or liquid? I'm supposing vapour since liquid is fairly new and expensive. The car currently has 186,000ks on it... will I be looking at any problems with the gas system at this stage?

I had a van once that ran on lpg and twice it back-fired and cost me a bundle to fix. Could I have similiar problems with this car? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Buying 2003 Ford Futura Dedicated Gas
Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

Laura81 wrote:
Hi all,

I'm buying the above car and while I know it's factory fitted dedicated gas I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what type of gas system the car runs? I was told it was gas injection but would that be vapour or liquid? I'm supposing vapour since liquid is fairly new and expensive. The car currently has 186,000ks on it... will I be looking at any problems with the gas system at this stage?

I had a van once that ran on lpg and twice it back-fired and cost me a bundle to fix. Could I have similiar problems with this car? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

any photos of the engine bay,will help

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:53 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Hi Hans,

I don't have the car yet. Supposed to pick it up Wednesday so checking out some things now. I found through research it has this engine:4.0 L (3984 cc) "Barra E-Gas" DOHC 24 valve 6 cylinder LPG (BA, BA II, BF & BF II models) Is this good or bad?

Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:27 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 96 EF Ghia wagon

Power: 122 rwkw

SA, Australia

There are thousands of taxis out there with this system and after 700,000km or more they are still going strong. Some other members here will vouch for that.

Stock as a Rock engine option 'Z'
302 V8 auto on LPG @ 210,00km
- 121.7 rwkW / 163.3 rwHP

Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

Laura81 wrote:
Hi Hans,

I don't have the car yet. Supposed to pick it up Wednesday so checking out some things now. I found through research it has this engine:4.0 L (3984 cc) "Barra E-Gas" DOHC 24 valve 6 cylinder LPG (BA, BA II, BF & BF II models) Is this good or bad?

i cant answer that,as i have v8s on the older systems.but it should be ok if they made it dedicated to the motor.the timing and performance should be great,if its the best around today i dont know.but when the car was new it was the best option they had,you have a lot of gas fitters in melbourne,ask them what is the best,now.have you driven the car for a few hours to get to know it,try driving a petrol one thats the same and compare them.i drive them for a few hours to feel them out,thats all i can say.the other guys may know more about the systems,as we have gas fitters on the forum.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA Falcon

Power: 106 rwkw

SA, Australia

I have a 2003 BA Falcon XT Egas.... Its a great car....

Yes it does have a mixer ring system but the motor has been built specifically for this.
Better rods, higher compression etc etc... The only thing I hated was the god awful ride hight....

If a convertor does let go, they are about $600.....

One thing I must say they are cheap to run... 500kays for a little over $40 (depending on LPG prices) makes for a cheap runaround......

If you buy the car here is a list of do's
Always run coolant (helps with the convertor not failing)
Buy a trans cooler and bypass the radiator (must do)
Replace the O2 sensor every 100k
Dont put Shell LPG in it ever (it runs like crap)

2003 BA Falcon Egas Taxi Pack - XR Replica
Tpak MKII Build Thread

1984 ZL Fairlane
The Project

Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Egas have a different Spec engine

11.7:1 compression (10.7 on petrol engine)
Turbo Conrods (not prone to bending on a backfire)
Built to run on LPG and ECU tuned on for LPG

My under bonnet pic....

looks pretty clean for a 800k motor.....

Tpak MKII Build Thread

1984 ZL Fairlane
The Project

Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

my wifes car (AU S1) loves Shell.... My previous AU and the BA both hate it (Both Factory LPG)...

Tpak MKII Build Thread

1984 ZL Fairlane
The Project

Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:16 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Thanks guys. I accidently posted this twice somehow so will keep talking about it in the other thread.

Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:23 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the information. How can I prevent the converter from going? This happens when the car backfires, correct?

Also I'm curious, the car specs say it has this engine: 4.0 L (3984 cc) "Barra E-Gas" DOHC 24 valve 6 cylinder LPG (BA, BA II, BF & BF II models) - which from what you all say is a converter type system. Why the hell do all car dealers that sell it say it's a gas injection system?

Also in terms of the "to do" list what is a trans cooler and how do I bypass the radiator? Should I get a mechanic to do this? Once I have the car I am going to take it to a mechanic to be fully checked over so anything I should get done please let me know.

If I had known it was an older style system I might have forgone getting it but it's too late now.

AU99 wrote:
I have a 2003 BA Falcon XT Egas.... Its a great car....

Yes it does have a mixer ring system but the motor has been built specifically for this.
Better rods, higher compression etc etc... The only thing I hated was the god awful ride hight....

If a convertor does let go, they are about $600.....

One thing I must say they are cheap to run... 500kays for a little over $40 (depending on LPG prices) makes for a cheap runaround......

If you buy the car here is a list of do's
Always run coolant (helps with the convertor not failing)
Buy a trans cooler and bypass the radiator (must do)
Replace the O2 sensor every 100k
Dont put Shell LPG in it ever (it runs like crap)

Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:38 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

ashcook wrote:
Simply because the majority of car dealers and do not know what they are talking about and will generally make up any story that seems good at the time especially if they think it is what you want to hear.

If you can, search around for a car that is dual fuel with an aftermarket injected system. That way you will get the far better injected system along with having petrol as a back up.

I would if I could but I need a car by this Wednesday so I don't have time to find something else. Could I change the gas system in it to an injected one at some stage? Or does it have to stay with what it has?

Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:46 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

ashcook wrote:
The injected LPG systems rely on petrol so I would say most likely it is a requirement to have. I'm not 100% sure if any one has found or done this but I think that is the case with all.

Your not going to get a bad car buying a dedicated LPG Falcon. The aftermarket injected systems are just better.

Ok, I guess I'm just mostly concerned with blowing the converter and needing to replace it. Had bad experience in the past twice with that happening. So of course now am paranoid about it.

Also, I read that these cars can have a tendency to need a new gear box after 170,000ks. The car I'm buying has 186,000 on it. I will have a mechanic check it just curious if anyone knows anything else about this?

Oh and one other thing. I used to have a Mitsubishi Lancer but it got wrote off in an accident, which is why I'm buying a new car. Can anyone tell me what my money savings will be using this Ford on gas? And I'm buying the car for $10,000 from a dealer. Ok price?

Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:55 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

I would say that net fuel cost savings compared to your Lancer will be very close to nil, yes that's right, NIL.

The E-gas engines are thirsty buggers. Figures of over 20L/100km in urban conditions are not uncommon. In similar circumstances, a Lancer would use considerably less fuel (maybe about 11L/100km).

BTW, converters have a finite lifespan, backfires or not. They seem to go after 200,000-300,000km of service.

2005 VZ Commodore SV6 with OMVL Dream XXI SVI LPG
2004 BA Falcon XT with Orbital Liquid LPG Injection
2004 BA Falcon XR6 with icom JTG Liquid LPG Injection

Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:03 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Ok about converter, maybe it's something else that i'm thinking that goes if the car backfires. Or maybe these cars aren't prone to backfiring... I don't know.

As for savings, I thought I'd save something. My Lancer cost about $50-55 to fill and I got about 400ks out of it before it would be asking for petrol again. It had a 50 litre tank but I only ever ended up putting between 37-40 litres in at a time. Whereas the car I'm getting has a 100 litre tank - figure it holds about 92 litres being lpg - that's $45 to fill and I would think it would get more than 400ks out of the tank surely...

Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Laura81 wrote:
Thanks for the information. How can I prevent the converter from going? This happens when the car backfires, correct?

Also I'm curious, the car specs say it has this engine: 4.0 L (3984 cc) "Barra E-Gas" DOHC 24 valve 6 cylinder LPG (BA, BA II, BF & BF II models) - which from what you all say is a converter type system. Why the hell do all car dealers that sell it say it's a gas injection system?

Also in terms of the "to do" list what is a trans cooler and how do I bypass the radiator? Should I get a mechanic to do this? Once I have the car I am going to take it to a mechanic to be fully checked over so anything I should get done please let me know.

If I had known it was an older style system I might have forgone getting it but it's too late now.

To prevent premature convertor failure just make sure A. You always run coolant.. B. Make sure you maintain the ignition system to prevent backfires from occuring in the first place....

Barra Egas engine refers to the engine itself... Higher compression, stronger bottom end & designed to run solely on LPG.....

Trans cooler is a must on any BA falcon, what happens in the radiator leaks into the transmission lines in the radiator, thus meaning a trans rebuild (not cheap)....

You cant run a vapour injection system on an Egas, there are 2 reasons for this.. A. Injected LPG requires petrol to start, run upto 40c before switchover. B. Egas does not have injector pulses to drive the Injected LPG ECU. Egas run a completely different Inlet manifold with no injectors and different wirinng loom.

Tpak MKII Build Thread

1984 ZL Fairlane
The Project

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 4  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next