Fordmods Logo

Can I upgrade my gas kit?? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Can I upgrade my gas kit??
Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1992 EBII Fairmont

VIC, Australia

I have an old gas setup on my EB II fairmont that I think was installed in 1992 lol. Can't remember the brand exactly but they were popular back in the day (something average like sprintgas/omvl/vialle). It's a carby mixer/converter setup and I was wondering what would be involved in upgrading it to an Impco 225 setup?? How much of my existing kit would I need to replace?? Mixer and converter or tank and the electrical/computer side also?

Post subject: Re: Can I upgrade my gas kit??
Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

mixer, converter, feedback system and a bunch of hoses.
can keep your tank and service line.

The question is WHY? It's not really an upgrade, more of a step sideways.
I can sell you a decent under bonnet injection kit for $1685 plus post or you can buy one of the cheap Ebay systems for under $1000.

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
mixer, converter, feedback system and a bunch of hoses.
can keep your tank and service line.

The question is WHY? It's not really an upgrade, more of a step sideways.
I can sell you a decent under bonnet injection kit for $1685 plus post or you can buy one of the cheap Ebay systems for under $1000.

Hey mate sounds interesting but the car itself only cost me $1200 and I'm not really looking to spend much money on it. The current system is almost 20yrs old and I've seen a few second hand impco kits (underbonnet) only 2-4yrs old sell for $100-$200, basically I'm doing it in the hope I get better economy/power/response. Would it make much difference?? Just thinking because of how old mine is.

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

I've never understood the need for people to try and justify every thing against the cost of the car.

changing to ANY other non injection systems won't help you at all. the money would be better spent getting a good LPG workshop to fit a new feedback system and a tune with an AFR meter on the car.
The age of your current gear vs 3 or 4 year old gear doesn't mater, that technology hasn't changed in 50 years.

If you want more power and economy, fit vapour injection.

Be it my kit or the cheap Ebay one.

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
I've never understood the need for people to try and justify every thing against the cost of the car.

changing to ANY other non injection systems won't help you at all. the money would be better spent getting a good LPG workshop to fit a new feedback system and a tune with an AFR meter on the car.
The age of your current gear vs 3 or 4 year old gear doesn't mater, that technology hasn't changed in 50 years.

If you want more power and economy, fit vapour injection.

Be it my kit or the cheap Ebay one.

Ah but wouldn't wear and tear cause a major factor in economy/response?? I've been told the diapraghms wear out evnetually and replacing it with a lower k setup would be worthwhile. Same reason people fit low k au motors?? So you're saying a kit in far newer condition wouldn't make any difference to my existing setup??

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

If you are worried about that sort of thing why not just buy a repair kits for whats there.
Thats going to be far cheaper then changing to a different brand.

You just seem hell bent on changing but spending no money. Good louck with that.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]