Car wont run on either fuel 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Car wont run on either fuel
Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 08 BF Ghia

VIC, Australia

Hi all, I have a 97 Fairmont EL Ghia sedan with Factory LPG(Tickford fit with plate). For the past two years or so the car would only start on lpg and then after about 20 mins(in warm weather) or not at all in cold weather would let you switch fuels when button was pressed. The LPG light wouldnt illuminate until fuels were selectable.

Sometimes the car would switch from LPG back to PETROL then back to LPG strait away and other times it would stall but you could start it easy enough again on either fuel. After the car is switched off for anymore than 2 mins you have to wait again before you might be able to switch.

Today the car decided that it wont pump gas or fuel into the engine and i cant start it at all. Has anyone got any ideas on what the most likely cause is. LPG computer shorted out?

Any Ideas i need this car back on the road asap :evil: :evil:

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:26 pm 
VIC Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: ed

VIC, Australia

ide call lpg1 or another gas installer and see what hey say.

94 White ED Wagon
eaton M112 supercharger, lowered a tad, extractors, 2.5" exhaust, T5 , custom SureCam supercharger cam, 3.45 lokka, 2 piece tailshaft, poyair bags in the back, TSS front Skirt, Sprint skirts, XR wagon spoiler.
soon to get: AU diff, upc 330mm brakes, Vapor LPG injection.

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:20 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

yeah sounds like a problem only a prof could fix

SWAP MY DL LTD V8 Sunroof Leather Sports Exhaust Gas Tint
FOR A SEDAN OR STATION WAGON 6

0413843332 Paul

Post subject: LPG
Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Im going to try another computer first, then if that doesnt work ill try to find on this forum what all the pinouts are to try to bypass LPG.

Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:18 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Fairlane

QLD, Australia

Sounds like the LPG ECU is up the duff, I am surprised you put up with it for so long. I think I would have burned the car if I had that problem for half the time.

I am keen to here how a new ECU went. Was it playing up from new install or some random time after it was installed ?

Also tracing as many of the wires as possible from end to end to see if one is shorted/cut through or not connected might be worth doing before popping in another ECU in case it gets fried too. Some of those installers are useless at fitting connectors to wires, how some get their tickets is beyond me. Double check their handy work.

Post subject: ECU
Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

LOL, the thought had crossed my mind. I havn`t changed the ecu just yet. I have to go the other side of the city to pick it up. LPG was installed from factory and has been fine until a couple of years ago. Will let you know what happens. How long has your car been on LPG?

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:28 am 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

I bought it 2 year ago with a <6 month old install done, so now it's about 2 yrs old. I have had LPG cars for around 20yrs or more, 1st was a 1980 Datsun 200B LPG model I bought in 1985.

I found many times over the years, mechanics have no time to diag problems, they just rather replace anything with new parts. So forums like this are great to help save a few bucks and learn along the way.

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Have you kept it maintained, spark plugs and leads etc?

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Post subject: Re: Car wont run on either fuel
Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:25 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

I done about 15,000K in the 2 years, so at the moment its only had one lead and plug change since I had it. Plug will be done when my darling nephew wants to do it. (ya reading allen)

Air Filter is around the corner too, this one we occasionaly remove and shake dust out of it.

Replaced the coil with a new one recently cause my old one showed signs of splitting.

Today replaced a coolant hose that magicly grew to double its width before touching the timming belt and exploding.

But since owning the car, hardly had problems with the fuel, at one stage it ran rough at idle, actualy it was left like that for months before I learned how to fix it. I also have a flash lube kit on it, and in that 15,000Ks I use 1.5 bottles of lube.

Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Update, Car started today after battery disconnected for a week, drove for 10mins, made a noise around BEM area and cut out and wouldnt start again. When battery disconnected for 30mins started again only on lpg and ran for a few mins then cut off again. Could it be BEM? Anything i can check. Its a BRC converter only two ot three years old.!! Any clues?

Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Update, Unplugged the Tickford LPG ECU and it started on fuel immediatly! It seems to miss and stumble a little however at low revs. It was tuned ages ago to run on LPG most of the time so i am guessing thats what it is.

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Update, Fitted replacement Tickford LPG ECU and car switches between fuels and starts on fuel always!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]