Fordmods Logo

converting from dual fuel to straight gas. 

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: converting from dual fuel to straight gas.
Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:59 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

MICKYYYY wrote:
i got my impco system installed for $2500.00 and a eurogas system installed is $4000.00 so theres a $1500.00 dollar difference to start with.

To make back the difference from the $1750.00 rebate with impco is matter of 6 months tops depending on how many kms u do. With eurogas the pay back of the eurogas system is more like 24 months before u start making ur money back.

Basically the pay back period is 4 times longer which to me is abit silly for an EL but if it was an BA onwards then vapour or liquid injection is the way to go as the car has a decent market value

You keep mentioning a eurogas system, witch is fine if that is your preference. But seriously thats way too expensive, I can get a mega gas vapor injection kit installed for the same price you are saying you would pay for a impco system.

My gas installer has this mega gas system installed on his BF XR6T ute, and I can tell you right now, its a good system. He has only lost 2 rwkw after he had installed the kit.

Mixer ring type systems are dying and its silly to think that you would not go a injection system that has a price tag the same as the impco system, just because you want the eurogas brand name.

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

we can dabte this till end of time but u simply cannot compare a no name brand inferior system to to brand names like impco, eurogas, JTG and so on as they are proven to be super relaible and last.

My taxi friend has a stargas system in his VZ and his installer was like yes its a great system blah blah blah and guess what, his installer no longer uses that system as he has had drama's and now my friend has to go 2 the distributor to sort out his problems. This is why u stick to brand names as u can take it to many installers as they know there system unlike Stargas and Mega gas.

Inferior lpg systems have alot of cons with them like easy injector blockage with bad batch of lpg and burning out the lpg processors that my mate has. He has actually had 4 processor burnt and got the distributor to re wire the car and still burn another lpg processor.

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:23 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

True this can be debated to no end. But since when has mega gas been a no name brand. I have had 3 falcons with mega gas systems (mixer ring type) and have never had a problem. I also believe that my installer would have not installed a mega gas injection kit into his XR6T if it was no good. he installs these systems into new mitsubishi tritons that come into our local mitsubishi dealer on a regular basis.

Is it that dis believing that vapor injection systems are coming down in price? I would expect to pay 4k for a liquid injection system in Adelaide not a vapor injection system.

And at the end of the day, you are comparing a taxi installed with a system to a standard everyday car. Driving conditions change.

Thats the end of my rant anyway.

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:56 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EBII Fairmont Ghia i6

SA, Australia

bradpeck46 wrote:
Fair enough but my car never starts properly on lpg and never really runs as well as it does on petrol. My system starts on petrol and then is suppose to kick over to lpg which it may do sometimes. On lpg it makes a little power then at around 4000 rpm it just takes off, while petrol has consistant power across the rev range would having the car dyno tuned fix these issues??

sounds like ur tune is outta wack, my LPG is the same as petrol and with a few more mods and tweaks its going to make petrol redundant. Also look into the timing as well, i bumped mine up a few degrees and it really helps LPG make power but dont go too far or u will ping on petrol.

Take it to a good LPG tuner and they will fit a sniffer in the exhaust and see how the mix is, they might find something wrong, also as LPG systems age they get richer in mix so u gotta get it tuned every so many years

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 08 BF Ghia

VIC, Australia

Make sure you never leave Melbourne Suburbs if you run strait gas otherwise it`ll end up costing you more money to run than fuel, especially in remote areas! In a recent trip away i saw LPG at 87.9cpl and ULP was 115.9c. Better range if you have LPG and ULP! Changing your car to strait LPG wont turn you car from a slug box into a racer. :)

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:20 pm 
QLD Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF Ford Falcon Wagon

QLD, Australia

Personally i wouldnt run on straight LPG only as i found out the hard way when coming back from Townsville that it only takes one thing to go wrong and you are stuck in the middle of nowhere and in this case my petrol stopped working and i was running on LPG only but when coming back from Townsville a little town called Camilla had its LPG pump knocked out by a truck so no LPG so what do you do if your LPG only? wait for a tow to the next major town which in this case is Rockhampton. I was lucky i jerry rigged my petrol to run on my parkers till i could regas.

So if your car is duel fuel leave it that way it has its advantages having both.

Alan

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ive owned 2 LPG ford falcons and my father had a straight GAS fairlaine and there are no real world benefits in a standard system like impco for example.

Ive seen more people with issues with LPG than petrol so having a daul setup is best of both worlds and get u out of trouble.

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:19 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

ghia97 wrote:
Make sure you never leave Melbourne Suburbs if you run strait gas otherwise it`ll end up costing you more money to run than fuel, especially in remote areas! In a recent trip away i saw LPG at 87.9cpl and ULP was 115.9c. Better range if you have LPG and ULP! Changing your car to strait LPG wont turn you car from a slug box into a racer. :)

wanker

did ya compare the petrol prices as well? :evil:

:shock:

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2