Fordmods Logo

Coolant in throttle body? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Coolant in throttle body?
Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:18 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: E-Gas BA

WA, Australia

My E-gas BA falcon has died on me. On the weekend I overtook someone, accelerating heavily to get past them. Since then the car has been running dodgy. For a few minutes after I overtook them it was surging while I had cruise control on, then when I was stopped the revs would drop low and there was noticeable lag in take off.
By the time I got home the problems had disappeared. I haven't driven the car for a few days since then. Trying to start it today, it would start, reluctantly, but if I tried any throttle it would stall. I left it idling and it stalled after about a minute.
I then took off the air intake tubing to see into the throttle body, and there's green liquid splattered around, which I can only assume is coolant.
What could be the cause of coolant getting into the throttle body like that, if it is coolant? What can I check myself before resorting to a mechanic?
There is a pre-existing problem, one of the power steering hoses has a slow leak in it, and there has been some contact with the alternator. Could the alternator have died and be another problem too?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Coolant in throttle body?
Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

If the alternator packed it in your battery wouldnt be charging and im sure a light would turn on to say its not charging/ if it has a volt gauge you can see it its not charging, your car wouldnt keep winding over or run if the battery wasnt charging because it wouldnt last long before it would be flat

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:31 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: E-Gas BA

WA, Australia

Ok, thanks. That solves the worrying about needing a new alternator!

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:49 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AUII XR6 VCT

VIC, Australia

coolant in the throttle body = not good.
gas converter has unfortunatley let go, very common in those.
the heat exchanger has leaked into the secondary side of the converter and has worked its way up the vapour line to the throttle body. possible it has shagged the stepper motor too as once it gets in there it tends to eat them away. soz to be bearer of bad news. :(

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]