Fordmods Logo

Diesel fuel conversions? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:07 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

I do, I'm all for reducing the amount of emissions.

(See what happens when you do Geography at school!)

How do you go about making Bio-Diesel? It doesn't require large amounts of electricity like making Hydrogen does, does it?

EDIT: For anyone else who is interested in Bio-Diesel check out this place:

http://www.biodiesel.org.au/

Quote:
What are the benefits?

Because it is renewable and domestically produced, biodiesel fits well to help ensure national energy security through replacing imported petroleum products with domestic alternative fuels.

While its emissions profile is lower, biodiesel functions in the engine the same as petroleum diesel. Biodiesel delivers emissions reductions while maintaining current fleets, refuelling stations, spare parts inventories and skilled diesel mechanics. Biodiesel can be substituted for diesel with essentially no engine modifications, and maintains the payload capacity and range of diesel.

Is the use of biodiesel covered under engine warranties?

Manufacturer warranties cover defects in material and workmanship, and those warranties extend to engines burning biodiesel. These warranties do not cover engine problems related to fuel of any kind. Tests and demonstrations, however, have shown that biodiesel is no different from petroleum diesel in terms of engine performance and wear.

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:54 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Biodiesel is not hard to make if you know what you are doing and have the right equipment...

http://www.freewebs.com/phongus/ <--- that's my website that I made for my uni research 2 years ago or something.

If you know your chemistry then you should be alright in making it. I was planning on trying it out in small batches...but i don't have a diesel engine.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

yeah...still leaves you with needing a diesel engine which im pretty sure is difficult to make from the ford sohc i6

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:33 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 4.0 EL/dads taxi

QLD, Australia

They have been dropping Chevy v8 Diesels into holdens and 4wd vehicles for a while now. Massive torque, good fuel consumption, but!!!!

Heavy weight (25% or more), expensive to service/rebuild (fuel pump $1200 plus).

The turbo I6 gives more torque than most can handle or need.

Fuel consumption needs to be balanced against cost of purchase ($8000 Plus) /installation/servicing etc. This is a very user defined balance.

Weight is not just the engine. Fit heavier engine and you could need different (as in expensive) springs, shockies, brakes, drive line (extra torque), etc.

I'm not knocking diesels but you really need to think it through. The newer diesels with pnuematic valve actuation (Sturman Industries), variable turbo housing technologies, particulate filters, lighter weight blocks and electronic control look very promising ,,,,,,and expensive.

Think of it this way, how many miles (sorry klms) would you have to cover to start to reclaim your investment after servicing costs are added in.

Diesels are more efficient due to compression ratio. Run 12.5:1 with water injection, 2lb boost and other mods and the difference will be reduced.

Grumbles

The thunder of .05 will echoe around Bathurst for ever.

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:02 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Mustang

NSW, Australia

heheh making your own bio fuel is easy. just go to a fish and chip shop ask if you can have their used vegetable oil in the deep fryer catch pans, take it home, filter all the gunk out of it, and presto, free fuel for your diesel.

Any diesel engine will run off pure vegetable oil. tho i guess it isnt very practicle unless you have access to a lot of used vegetable oil for free and the patience to clean it.

EDIT: bah i guess veg oil isnt really a bio fuel, mor of a petro diesel. but meh.

Last edited by 68stang on Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:05 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Mustang

NSW, Australia

skidder wrote:
dont diesel cars run a compression of like 40:1? and also i thought they had a glow plug to start it and then they dont have spark plug?

someone could probably correct me...

also in engineering I just did a study on biodiesel for use in diesel trains. It was suggested for unmodified diesel engines that they be run at most on 80% biodiesel 20%petrodiesel (although this was conservative as to offer best protection for engine). It should be noted that overseas, volkswagon and scania have 100%biodiesel engines.

I know that many here might not care about emission, but also biodiesel has 80% less carbon dioxide, 100% less sulphur and 90%< less unburnt hydrocarbon particles. Also has greater lubricating ability than petrodiesel and is safer to transport due to higher flash point.

yes diesels use glow plugs to ignite the fuel as appossed to spark plugs as diesel requires a higher temp to ignite. they also use a lower comp ratio.

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

just droped some fuel out of a HZJ75 and it was bio diesel and f**k MAN it smelt like Paint thinnners no joke on the smell so me thinks Bio Diesal not good.

prolly as said before diesal need stronger blocks and head but i wonder if you got a cast iron head of a early falcon and put it on the xf block with nah that wouldn't work it comes done to he injection of the diesal???

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:26 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 1994 ED Fairmont

QLD, Australia

well.... this is a funny 1... Shave alot off your head. Stock cam. Screw in glow plugs where ur spark plugs go... Remove your butterfly on the intake...fit the diesel injectors and pump and it may work lol... Diesel fuel has a RON rating of like 45 so the hi-comp doesnt mean to much for block strength.. Also other s**t i didnt not say of course lol just a stab.

1994 ED Fairmont Champaign Gold - AU Series II Intech 4.0L - EL EFI - Thermo Fans - 4.11 LSD - Pacemaker 4480 Into Custom 3" Exhaust - Shift Kit
In Progress: EL 4 Speed Auto- 3000 STALL - To be fitted
EF Tickford Race Spec Head Port- In the shop
Custom SureCam - Chiptorque

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:53 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Froudey wrote:
just droped some fuel out of a HZJ75 and it was bio diesel and f**k MAN it smelt like Paint thinnners no joke on the smell so me thinks Bio Diesal not good.

prolly as said before diesal need stronger blocks and head but i wonder if you got a cast iron head of a early falcon and put it on the xf block with nah that wouldn't work it comes done to he injection of the diesal???

Biodiesel shouldn't smell like paint thinner as far as I know...if it does, i think there must be something else in the engine...Should smell like whatever it was made out of.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:42 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

diesels comp ratios should be between 14 and 25 :1

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Hilux

VIC, Australia

68stang wrote:
skidder wrote:
dont diesel cars run a compression of like 40:1? and also i thought they had a glow plug to start it and then they dont have spark plug?

someone could probably correct me...

also in engineering I just did a study on biodiesel for use in diesel trains. It was suggested for unmodified diesel engines that they be run at most on 80% biodiesel 20%petrodiesel (although this was conservative as to offer best protection for engine). It should be noted that overseas, volkswagon and scania have 100%biodiesel engines.

I know that many here might not care about emission, but also biodiesel has 80% less carbon dioxide, 100% less sulphur and 90%< less unburnt hydrocarbon particles. Also has greater lubricating ability than petrodiesel and is safer to transport due to higher flash point.

yes diesels use glow plugs to ignite the fuel as appossed to spark plugs as diesel requires a higher temp to ignite. they also use a lower comp ratio.

they dont use glow plugs to ignite the fuel. the diesel is injected into the cylinder in a fine mist at high compression and spontainiusly combusts

Now driving a Hilux

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:36 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 4.0 EL/dads taxi

QLD, Australia

Leroy wrote:

they dont use glow plugs to ignite the fuel. the diesel is injected into the cylinder in a fine mist at high compression and spontainiusly combusts

The glow plugs create a hot spot for the fuel to start ignition when cylinder is cold, sort of like carbon build up produces a second flame front on a petrol engine (detonation/pinging).

Once warmed up they are not required.

When you see aerostart (ether) being used for starting a diesel engine it is not because of the fuel, it is because that engine has lost compression and has difficulty achieving the ignition temp of diesel,even with glow plugs.. Ether ignites at lower temps.

Grumbles

The thunder of .05 will echoe around Bathurst for ever.

Post subject: Re: Diesel fuel conversions?
Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:26 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford, AUII ute

QLD, Australia

phongus wrote:
Froudey wrote:
Don't Run Bio Diesal it is f**k up. ford australia voids warranteee etc etc there is a sign stating the fact about bio diesal is f**k injector pumps and lift pumps etc etc i work at a wreckers and we see engines that needed to be replaced because of the fact

but different cars different eninges etc

It doesn't f**k up your engine...if you know what you are doing. First of all you don't go straight biodiesel. You should go 10% biodiesel at first and then over time increase the amount of biodiesel. Once you hit about 50% biodiesel to diesel you should replace the fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel injectors etc cause the biodiesel removes all the carbon build up on the fuel line from previous continoues usage of conventional diesel. By removing all the carbon build up it helps clean the fuel line. Clean fuel lines means smoother operation, though you have to replace all the parts along the fuel line.

If it is done that way, it will work fine. If you go straight 100% biodiesel, within or less then a full tank, you may already require to replace the fuel line, though that is not suggested due to what Froudey said...it f**k up the engine.

phong =P~

Please help me with my confusion.
Carbon is a by-product of the combustion process. That being so. Why would there be carbon deposits inside the fuel line, lift pump, fuel filter(s), injector pump, injector lines or injector?
Isn't that solely reserved to the combustion chamber, pre-combustion chamber (if so designed) and
associated plumbing? If I am correct what possible harm could bio-diesel do to the fuel delivery system?

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED Pwnage Pwr!!

SA, Australia

A few questions

Are you looking at fitting a diesel enine to your car?
or using your petrol engine as a diesel? (that probably won't work lol)

I've always wanted to see if a toyota/nissan i6 diesel would fit in the engine bay of the E series, probably would with a bit of modding.

Its mainly older diesels that use glow plugs now, I know with my old SD33 she won't even think of firing up without a 20-30 second glow in the morning! And they only come on when starting, once the engine is running they switch off, diesels use very high compression to ignite the fuel.

Newer engines are usualy direct injection and have a small combustion chamber in the top of the pistion and instead of seperate glow plugs they have a heater in the in the intake manifold to heat the air as it enters the bore, they will usualy fire up as soon as you hit the key!

As for Biodiesel (well fish and chip oil) Alot of people just filter the oil very well then modify the car to run on the oil.
First the car is started on normal diesel and begins to heat the oil up so it is the right viscosity to be run through the injectors, then its switched over to the oil when up to temp, then when its about to be shut down it goes back to diesel to clean out the injector pump/lines ect.

I've also heard of people running water injection to stop the carbon build up from the chip oil :)

Adelaide Motorplex < Click on it! You know you want too!
ED HP AU XR6, Wade, T5, and all the usual stuff!

Quote:
Thats not the point *a**hole

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:45 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: XH and a landcruiser

SA, Australia

This company reckons thay can convert any engine im looking into it for my landcruiser

http://www.greendieselcorp.com/

if i had all the money i have spent on cars i would spend it all on cars

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2