Fordmods Logo

Ef Not running well/not much power on petrol or gas 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Ef Not running well/not much power on petrol or gas
Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:38 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: DL LTD v8

TAS, Australia

hey. i have an ef futura I6 5speed with aftermarket gas fitted not long ago and ive noticed while driving normally on petrol it has flat spots below bout 2500rpm but doesnt seem too bad when driven hard. on gas it seems to drive ok but when driven hard it feels like its not getting enough fuel after bout 3500rpm however sometimes it will run fine. ive noticed it seems to get better if i only run it on one fuel for a few weeks but never anywhere near perfect. oh and ive blown that little vacuum pipe thing off through stalling it quite a few times on gas and causing small backfire. dont know if thats bad for it at all. btw i dont know much about cars.

Any suggestions????

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:09 pm 
Oompa Loompa

TAS, Australia

Any suggestions????????????????????????

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BF3 Egas wag SY AWD Terry Ghia

VIC, Australia

I would suggest a new set of gas spark plug leads and plugs. Poor spark is a major cause of backfires. They sorted out some of my issues. Gas is much harder to spark in for some reason.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon
SY Territory Ghia AWD 6spA :))

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF 5 Speed, XH Uterus :P

TAS, Australia

you need that vacuum pipe on :lol:
your gas might need a tune - sounds like it's not getting enough on the higher RPM.
my 5 speed certainly pulls a lot harder over 2200-2500RPM, but i wouldn't say it has flat spots below that

Maloo - Holden's word for ugly.

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:34 pm 
Oompa Loompa

TAS, Australia

thanks ill try the new spark plugs and leads but it generally doesnt backfire unless i stall it lol. also recently its started idling at bout 1100rpm evertime i put the clutch in and then going down to normal after bout 5-10seconds.it does that on gas and petrol. its wierd tho coz i beat a standard ef auto but lose by heaps to a friends 5 speed magna sports v6 wich i used to beat wen it was just petrol.

Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: FG Ute, ED XR8 Sprint, GPZ900R

VIC, Australia

Yeah poor spark can be a major cause of backfiring. Backfiring is def a bad thing, it can do many things to your car and all of them bad, from blowing air fliter boxes to destroying your cat or even causing presure loss in your head. I suggest getting a backfire valve fitted to your air filter box so at least that way the backfire presure can escape without damage. Thats strange bout the magna, maybe try easing through first and then go harder once you have shifted into second. LPG lacks a little response sometimes so i find it's better to ease it on.

The Past: EF Fairmont, EL Fairmont 5.0, HR Special, NF Fairlane 5.0, GSX 250-F, BA II XR8, VS3 Ute, VS2 L67 Calais

The Present: FG Egas Ute, ED XR8 Sprint, GPZ 900R

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:01 am 
Oompa Loompa

TAS, Australia

cat already all blown out the back ages ago lol. well i found out apparently new spark leads got put on at the time the gas got fitted but im not sure bout the spark plugs. i timed my car today using the stopwatch on the trip computer/clock and got 12.1 seconds which i was rather dissapointed about. that compares with small 4cylinders. i might end up having to save up and take it to a mechanic. is it possible that the car is taking a while to learn how to run on gas coz petrol also runs pretty hopeless but gets better after a few days only running it on petrol.

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

dtripp wrote:
thanks ill try the new spark plugs and leads but it generally doesnt backfire unless i stall it lol. also recently its started idling at bout 1100rpm evertime i put the clutch in and then going down to normal after bout 5-10seconds.it does that on gas and petrol. its wierd tho coz i beat a standard ef auto but lose by heaps to a friends 5 speed magna sports v6 wich i used to beat wen it was just petrol.
Check for vacuum leak, a backfire may pop the hose off the MAP sensor located on the firewall. Check all the vacuum pipes on the inlet manifold.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:57 am 
Oompa Loompa

TAS, Australia

well i know that pipe to the MAP is on coz ive had to put that bak on pretty much everytime someone stalls it(not always me lol) . could it possibly have anything to do with the idle step controller(i think thats wat its called) coz i had that replaced bout 6 months ago coz it was randomly idling and not running right. i think that may have just been that vacuum pipe and i got ripped off tho as i didnt know bout that then.

Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: FG Ute, ED XR8 Sprint, GPZ900R

VIC, Australia

Maybe even try getting it pressure tested, thats what the mechanics did to mine after I had similar problems to see if i was up for a new head, thankfully all was good :-)

The Past: EF Fairmont, EL Fairmont 5.0, HR Special, NF Fairlane 5.0, GSX 250-F, BA II XR8, VS3 Ute, VS2 L67 Calais

The Present: FG Egas Ute, ED XR8 Sprint, GPZ 900R

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]