VIC, Australia

just on LPG- smooth as silk on petrol

Post subject: Re: EF XR6 Idle miss only when on LPG
Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

It's good to know this isn't an uncommon problem, as I have the same thing with mine..

car has a new mls head gasket and intake man gasket... symptoms are as described.. have not checked the PVC yet though.

The gas fitter made the mixture much richer to compensate so now I have black powder in exhaust.... doesnt' stall but isn't idling that good on gas either.

runs a dream on petrol though.

gonna go look at the PVC now.

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Just checked.. I have a metal PVC, but it doesn't seal at all.. might as well just be a pipe adaptor... swapped it for a plastic one for the trip tomorrow, if it works, I'll try to find another metal one. (can anyone tell me where you get the metal ones from? I mean are they factory ford too?) Also, FYI.. found this while googling. http://www.pnc.com.au/~battst/ti96002.htm

station-rat wrote:
Yes by all means replace the PCV with metal body version. Ford sell a plastic adaptor to fit just below the idle control solinoid to fix the lean miss problem. Then just plug the fitting on the manifold

Any idea what that plate is called?

One last question... on a properly plumbed gas setup.. where is the air outlet at the top rear of the rocker cover supposed to go? mine is going to the bottom of the throttle body... is that correct?

ta

Frank

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

xygtho3 wrote:
Hi and thanks for the added tips. We haven't solved the problem yet. I replaced the intake manifold gasket becasue the mechanic said when he sprayed petrol over it, the revs picked up. so new gasket and same problem. Last weekend, I also tried spraying petrol near the forward 1 and 2 cylinder inlets and yes the revs pciked up again! I ahve to try and tighted the manifold this weekend to see if that helps becasue it is a pr..ck of a job to do it all over again. The original manifold didn't even have a split in it or anyhing but I changed it anyhow since I already bought the new one. I will check all the earths as well to see if that helps as well as try new spark plugs. Thanks

Injector seals.

Member Number 8804

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:37 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

petrol injector seals? How do these affect LPG idle? Thanks

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

air can leak past the O rings on the injectors.
This is the second place you can get rev pickup while spraying aerostart ect.
in that area.

Member Number 8804

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:13 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Thanks- I'll try to spray that specific area to see if the revs pick up there- quite possibly given when i sprayed the general area, it's hard to know where the leak could be and the car has done 205,000kms. I know I did a pretty thorough job of installing the new intake gasket so I was surprised it could still be leaking there

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:33 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
So is this problem existent on both fuels, or just on LPG ??
xygtho3 wrote:
just on LPG- smooth as silk on petrol
This is pretty important information, so don't waste it.

frankieh wrote:
One last question... on a properly plumbed gas setup.. where is the air outlet at the top rear of the rocker cover supposed to go? mine is going to the bottom of the throttle body... is that correct?
Nope, a backfire could cause disaster - air/LPG mix is going through the rocker cover, needs to be fresh air, so the origin needs to be upstream of the mixer - they are usually plumbed into the top air cleaner cover.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
frankieh wrote:
Nope, a backfire could cause disaster - air/LPG mix is going through the rocker cover, needs to be fresh air, so the origin needs to be upstream of the mixer - they are usually plumbed into the top air cleaner cover.

Serious, the hose at the back of the rocker cover needs to go to somewhere pre mixer?
I actually wondered why there was a second hose on the rocker.. I thought the PCV valve at the front was supposed to take care of crankcase ventilation....

So I just block up the hose under the throttle body then?

ta

Frank

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:53 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

frankieh wrote:
Serious, the hose at the back of the rocker cover needs to go to somewhere pre mixer?I actually wondered why there was a second hose on the rocker.. I thought the PCV valve at the front was supposed to take care of crankcase ventilation....
It does, but the inlet air(rocker cover rear) needs to come from somewhere.
frankieh wrote:
I'll let you think this one out. :wink:

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
frankieh wrote:
Serious, the hose at the back of the rocker cover needs to go to somewhere pre mixer?I actually wondered why there was a second hose on the rocker.. I thought the PCV valve at the front was supposed to take care of crankcase ventilation....
It does, but the inlet air(rocker cover rear) needs to come from somewhere.
frankieh wrote:
I'll let you think this one out. :wink:

So in summary, the new metal PCV I'm picking up gets hosed to the black plastic adaptor on top of the TB.... and the rear one goes somewhere in the air intake prior to the mixer so it only pulls in fresh air and not gas..

Would that have been affecting my idle?

I'll do all that tonight and see how it improves things anyway...... the bad PCV was probably doing most of the damage.

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Very odd.. I got the proper metal based PCV valve from Ford and got home and went to put it in.. the d@mn thing doesnt' seal properly... you can blow though it in both directions, although it's harder to blow in one than the other.... the Plastic one was completely open in one end and completely closed in the other.. I was expecting the metal one to be the same.

Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:26 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

So how is this problem going?

Same issues here also. Interesting the comment re the O ring seals, never thought about that as a vacuum leak area but obvious when suggested.

On a previous EF I had a leak in the intermediate gasket of the intake manifold. That was a b**ch to fix as I had to source a very strong and long T15 Torx wrench to break the thread locker compound and pull the manifold apart, clean the huge amount of crap that fills up the bottom of the extended plenum chambers and reseal. Fixed the leak and convinced me that one day I should figure out how to get the inlet manifold off easily before breaking my back again.

An odd behavior I have is that the PVC valve is continuously chattering / vibrating. Anyone with an idea why?

- Dave

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2