Fordmods Logo

EF Xr6 LPG Problems 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: EF Xr6 LPG Problems
Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:38 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hi everyone,

we have a 94 EF XR6 Wagon with a Sprintgas and Gastec fp31 system. We have been away for a couple of months and not started the car in that time. When we got back, after charging the battery, we noticed it starting fairly rough. It has a petrol start system, where it will start on petrol then switch over to gas automatically. After a couple of weeks, one morning it would not start at all :x . We had it repaired and the mechanic said that they had replaced the EFI relay :?: . Anyone know where I can locate it :?:
It still starts fairly rough with it blowing a bit of black smoke, then takes a while maybe 10 seconds to switch over to gas. Much longer than it normally did, as we didn't even notice when it used to switch over. Once it's on gas it runs ok. It can be switched over to petrol and runs ok, but when you switch it over to gas again, it splutters a bit again then runs ok after a bit of delay.

Any ideas :?: :?:

Thanks for your help :) :) .

Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:48 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

I have pretty limited knowledge but i thought i'd throw in my 2 cents anyway... If you changed the battery fom experience that resets the ecu and it takes a while for the ecu to relearn everything and start running smoothly again.

Wen i switch from petrol to gas on my ef always just give a small rev no hgher than 2k so it doesn't splutter...

I don't know if any of this helps

"You only need 2 tools, WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesnt move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and it shouldnt, use the duct tape!"

Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:38 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Just an update guys.
We took the car back to the mechanic who sent it over to the auto elec. He said that the timing setting for the gas was wound all the way up and adjusted it down.
The only setting there is on the FP31 is one pot I can see for open/closed loop mode. Picked up the car on Friday and drove it home and around a couple of times. It started better where it would switch over automatically after about 2 seconds. Is this the injection time setting? Where is it, as I can only see 1 pot on the FP31. Went to start it yesterday, and we have the original problem again where it doesn't start. You know it is not going to start, because when you crank it, the lpg gauge does not light up.

Help :?: :?: :?:

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:56 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Ok, some more info. The FP31 does not have an adjustment for petrol start time, this is on the gas gauge, which is a CP905. When the car will not start, when cranking, the cp905 gauge/controller will not light up. The car will however try and crank over.

Come on guys :?: :?:

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:27 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ed futura classic straight gas

VIC, Australia

thorsdad wrote:
Ok, some more info. The FP31 does not have an adjustment for petrol start time, this is on the gas gauge, which is a CP905. When the car will not start, when cranking, the cp905 gauge/controller will not light up. The car will however try and crank over.

Come on guys :?: :?:
gday guys the FP31 does not have the petrol start the FP31ps does have the petrol start incorporated in the unit. with the peel cp905 u will need to check power in and ensure a good earth it could just be a blown fuse?

gas is not only for BBQ's
ed build in progress
351 stroker 12.5:1 comp straight gas
3.9:1 diff gears and various other mods

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:26 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the replies guys. It looks like when the battery voltage gets a bit low if we haven't driven it for a couple of days, we will get the trouble starting. The gauge doesn't light up on cranking and the car doesn't start. I did jump start it with another car and it fired up ok. Could be a battery problem as it doesn't turn over too fast and the voltmeter on the dash is reading about 11 volts on cranking.

Cheers.

Post subject: Re: EF Xr6 LPG Problems
Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:55 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hi guys,
been a while since I've been on here. Got some work done to the car recently, after hearing a squeeling noise on the steering. Thought it may have been the belt or power steering pump, but turns out it was the crankshaft pulley, it was not sitting where it should, and starting to come apart. This was replaced and all ok, no noise. This may have caused the starting probs as there is a crank angle sensor signal needed for proper operation.

Still have the problem on startup where it runs too long on petrol and gas, before petrol turns off and runs on gas. On the CP905 guauge/controller, there is one adjustment pot for petrol time that ranges from 0.2 sec to about 10? secs, but turned all the way down, it stays on petrol for about 2 secs.

Just thought you'd like the update, and may have some more thoughts on this petrol time.

Cheers.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]