Fordmods Logo

Fairlane stopped on LPG this morning (Solved) 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Fairlane stopped on LPG this morning (Solved)
Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:36 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Fairlane Concorde 4.0

NSW, Australia

The car stopped on LPG this morning so switched to petrol. Was able to drive to work on petrol (I'm glad I just fixed the petrol side) but noticed the car was also stumbling (idle) on petrol. LPG wouldn't run at all once it died.

I have just fitted (a few weeks ago) NGK BPR5EY-11 plugs gapped to 0.9mm and top gun 8mm leads. These are the items Bursons recommended.

The Converter was nice and hot so coolant is getting where its meant to be. The system is a Renzo Landi and gastec FP30 computer.

Any suggestions on some basic checks on the gas system and do you think the plugs are correct?

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Last edited by alfy12 on Tue May 12, 2009 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Fairlane stopped on LPG this morning ( 2 degrees outside)
Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:51 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

cold morning, the service line could have iced up, is there any sharp bends?

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:21 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

When you say the service line, which one are your refering to? Is it the one from converter to the mixer ring?

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:40 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

the insulated copper pipe (or braided flex in cars where the cab can be removed from the chassis) that goes from the tank to the engine bay lock off.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:13 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Drove the car to work this morning again. Started on petrol and switched to gas when engine warm. Car maintained 100kph but just. Couldn't accelerate or gain any additional power. Car died into first low speed corner and every low speed corner after that. Had to pull into work using petrol. I didn't check the copper pipe this morning as I don't think its the problem. My wife drove the car yesterday with an air temp of approx 15 degrees and still the same problem.

A bit of research yesterday indicates that I have the wrong spark plugs in the car so I will eliminate that first by fitting the old ones.

Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

Flush and replace your coolant. I had this happen last winter.

Member Number 8804

Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:48 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Thanks Matt. I did some checking this morning and couldn't find anything obvious other than crap wiring job by the original installer. I've replaced all the crimps and the fuse holder for the Gastec FP30 and crimped them with a crimper (originals done with pliers). Also pulled the ISC and cleaned it with throttle body cleaner. I wanted to pull the gas converter apart but wasn't to sure which bits to touch and what to leave alone. Thought that the converter might have some wax buildup causing a blockage.

Noticed the liquid propane line coming in from the shutoff solenoid was very warm after taking the car for a quick spin. I then wondered if enough coolant was circulating thru the converter. The thermostat is only 6 months old and a ford unit of the recommended temp. I didn't go for a lower temp unit because of the gas converter.

I think you could be onto something Matt. I'll try draining the system and put in some new coolant.

Cheers

Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:51 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Well I flushed the cooling system with Nulon cooling system flush. Then drained and refilled with water and then flushed out again. I also removed the 2 hoses at the converter and flushed them out as well as the converter. Refilled system with Nulon longlife antifreeze/antiboil concentrate and distilled water.

Car is running well at the moment but economy has dropped dramatically. Might have something to do with me pulling the cap off the stepper motor (CV30) and not taking note of how many turns I screwed it out (should have read the instructions first). I downloaded the Gastec FP30 instructions and I'll have a go at setting it up again.

If it all goes peer shaped, its off to the gas man for a tune. I don't know much about the Renzo Landi converter so Its all beyond me. FP30 instructions mention Idle adjust on the converter but no markings on the converter. Two adjustment knobs (one larger knob bottom near coolant hose and smaller one at centre rear).

Post subject: Re: Fairlane stopped on LPG this morning (Update)
Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:52 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

My wife got our local lpg guy to look at it. Apparently the valve (shaped like a H) in the CV30 (stepper motor) was sticking so he cleaned it and set the cap on it for the correct mixture. Car is starting and running well.

Wife also commented that the cooling system flush and refill with good quality nulon coolant also made a difference even before the lpg tune.

Getting good economy and easy starting.

Thanks Krytox and MadMatt for your input.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]