Fordmods Logo

Few LPG Questions. 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Few LPG Questions.
Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:49 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Well my first one would have to be about an Intake that I would like to do.
I was going to get either an AUIII Xr8 snorkel or GT snorkel and slap that on the front of my EL falcon. But I was wondering what is the hose running from the converter to a hole that has been cut in the snorkel?

2nd is also about the intake, A braided line is running from the converter to the 90 degree bend attached to the Throttle body. Am I right in guessing this is where the LPG Vapors are flowing to the intake? How would I go about replacing this section of the Intake?

I was planning on using the BA intake pipe on replacing that section. (Im too lazy to keep a polished one looking good)

Also im sure this has been covered many a time but I dont need to run Colder Spark Plugs in LPG do I? as that is what Autopro tell me.

Post subject: Re: Few LPG Questions.
Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:30 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Im fairly sure that the first part is a Balance Pipe for the converter. Does this sound about right?

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

You would likely be right about the balance pipe that goes to the converter. It makes the control diaphram work on the difference of pressure in the inlet manifold system rather than being refernced to the normal outside air. What a lot of fitters do is install a connection to the lower inside of the airbox rather than the snorkel. If you change this arrangement you will likely need a gas tune.

The 2nd question is simple, get the gas guy to replace it. It is part of the LPG supply so legally you need a qualifying trade to fiddle. Also trying to buy the proper Nitril rubber LPG hose is difficult but it is cheap so not a big issue as long as you can use a 30m roll! Most gas guys are a bit lazy and just use the normal water hose pipe material which is fairly resistant to oils etc. and seems to last many years.

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:40 am 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Hey mate thanks for the reply,

Why would it require a gas tune if I placed the pipe in the same point as the new snorkel?

And on the 2nd part, I didnt mean replacing the braided line I mean replacing the 90 degree bend right before the throttlebody that the braided line goes into.

So im guessing that it will be a little more difficult than I thought to install a new intake on my car haha.

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:21 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

If you have a 90 degree hose that connects to the mixer ring then these are normally just a trimmed water hose. Mine is like that so the lambda stepper control motor ends up being very close to the mixer. This improves response time of the gas computer system.

If you do the same as before with the snorkel then it should be fine. My tune comment was if you moved the connection to the air box near where the snorkel attaches. The main issue is that if you change anything in the air intake system then it changes the characteristics of the airflow.

For example whenever you get a gas tune done, they will usually replace the air filter, check for carbon in the manifold from blow backs, check that the airbox and snorkel seals, check the leads and plugs, make sure the water cooling system is OK and then do a tune as a minimum. If any of that list is a bit off it will affect the tune when fixed so they sort these basic maintenance items out first. Others may add to the list but that has been my experience over 20+ years of running LPG cars.

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:35 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Ohk, thanks for that. Ill get a photo up since that 90 degree part isnt a heater/water hose. Its a stock part of the intake on any EL falcon. The last part of the intake right before the throttlebody right above the rocker cover, it is black and it has FORD stamped on it.
This part has a braided (approx) 1 1/2 inch line running from the converter to this part.

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:11 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

This line here, is this a balance pipe?

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:43 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Yes , that is a balance pipe connection.

Notice that by getting the air pressure reference from that spot it creates a closed air system with the gas converter bridging the intake and the outlet to the engine. I won't go into the technicals but it allows the gas vacuum sensor, a big diaphragm the diameter of the converter to be "balanced" across the airflow.

Plenty of "professional" installers bodge this part by just leaving it off altogether but it is important to stabilise the operation of the Italian gear.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by DStirrup on Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:49 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Cheers mate, so if i get a new snorkel ill just have to attach it like the one i already have to keep everything happy?

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:50 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Yes

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:51 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

jrloz wrote:
This line here, is this a balance pipe?

Wow, that vapour line that runs from the outlet of the regulator into the gas mixer is TWICE as long as it should be. That'll ruin your throttle response...

2005 VZ Commodore SV6 with OMVL Dream XXI SVI LPG
2004 BA Falcon XT with Orbital Liquid LPG Injection
2004 BA Falcon XR6 with icom JTG Liquid LPG Injection

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:12 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Anything I could do about that? How hard is it to shorten the vapor line?

Thanks for the help guys, just trying to learn a bit more about LPG etc and engines in general so I can work my way around them better. Not too bad for a noobie but a lot to learn.

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:43 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Hi Dave,

Yep, your right.

Have a short right angle hose from mixer connection to the stepper so that the other side of the stepper crosses over the top of the rocker cover in a straight line onto the mixer. There is adequate room for it.

If we could put the R90 over on the inlet, it would be there but no room available.

Too many ill thought through installs out there and that was one point a bit wrong...

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:55 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

DStirrup wrote:
Have a short right angle hose from mixer connection to the stepper so that the other side of the stepper crosses over the top of the rocker cover in a straight line onto the mixer. There is adequate room for it.

^ What he said.

You want to have a direct-as-possible connection between your regulator and mixer via the shortest possible route. In this case, the stepper motor valve should probably be fitted over the top of the engine just before the mixer.

2005 VZ Commodore SV6 with OMVL Dream XXI SVI LPG
2004 BA Falcon XT with Orbital Liquid LPG Injection
2004 BA Falcon XR6 with icom JTG Liquid LPG Injection

Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:26 am 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

How much difference do you think this would make to day to day drive-ability?
Is this something I could do at home or does it require a professional touch, if you think its ok to do at home, where would I be able to get the parts from.

There is an LPG installer in my town but they don't have much to do with older systems.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next