Fordmods Logo

Gas research TB on a std system? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Gas research TB on a std system?
Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:58 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF Injected Gas T5 Convert

VIC, Australia

i have a (as per factory) aftermarket LPG system on my ef but i want a Gas Research throttle body to get more flow will it just fit to my system without having to get the rest of the kit? i aint looking for a big movement in power i am building a hot 6 for petrol so not having to take the gas ring out for full output would be a plus

STADIC

Post subject: Re: Gas research TB on a std system?
Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

If you are after minimal restriction then for the cost of a GRA TB you would be better investing in one of those cheap EBAY SVI gas kits.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

In addition to the GRA throttle body, you need a B2 style LPG Convertor with the correct spring mod to suit the GRA carb.

While the GRA flows better than the gas ring or the Impco style mixer, the LPG Injection kit has no impact at all to flow through the intake.

I think this is the kit twase is referring to.

LPG Vapour Injection Kit

For $575 is a good cheap kit, and I know of one successful install by a member who I trust. However, initial discussions with the supplier have indicated this kit in its standard form will only support up to 160rwkw.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:10 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF Injected Gas T5 Convert

VIC, Australia

my plan was to just bolt a GRA TB to my system. so it wont work without the converter? i can get the TB by itself cheap as why i wanted try and get away with just that. why wouldnt it work with just the TB?

sorry if its been asked or it sounds silly

Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

The GRA throttle body requires a specifically modified B2 Type converter.

And not only that, but your current LPG system uses a Complex Converter and a Simple Mixer (LPG Ring), and the GRA needs a Simple Converter and a Complex Mixer (GRA TB).

It won't work at all with your current converter.

IMPCO based LPG systems have the correct Converter type, but require a modification to be compatible with the GRA TB.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

BenJ is right on the money.
impco and gas research gas converters have different (weaker or stronger) springs on the diaphrams.
really the only difference between the B2 and Model L converters lol.
but the converters sell cheap second hand, so if you can get the t/b heap (ie under $300) and converter for say $50, then your doing well.

the throttle body wont need any specific tuning other than sorting out the idle mixture to get it up and running, but you would be best to get it tuned by someone who wares enough to get it running right to get the best out of the t/b.
i noticed my impco system had more poke down low than the gas research system as the impco basically tunes itself to an extent, but wont flow as well uptop or on petrol.

i say go for it if you can get the parts cheap and have enough smarts to do the fitting yourself.

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

You will need to stick your TPS on the GRA TB as well, which has been done before, but you may have to buy a bracket or fitting kit to do that, adding to the cost of the conversion. I'm not sure what they do with the factory idle stepper setup, do they just not plug it in or does it get fit onto some brackets & tubes to the GRA, like what gets done on impco 425 setups on the fords?

GRA did sell converter repair kits, with new diaphragm, spring & so on, which could be fit to a model L impco if you have one lying around, possibly saving you some money on a b2.

If you only want to cruise on LPG, that injection system needs serious consideration. It's cheap for the power it can handle. I have an easyjet system on my EB, and i love it overall, i just wish it would be able to feed more power. If i want much more than i have i need to get a new front end kit installed.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: 5.0lt NF /351 ZD Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Any ideas for improving V8 gas performance on ef nfs at all, ring is so restrictive?

NF Fairlane with 5.0 and 5 speed goodness!
XE Fairmont Ghia

Last edited by fairlane6970 on Sun May 09, 2010 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 12:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

toranaguy, you can add a fitting before and after the butterfly, gas research sell a billet plate that you bolt the ISC to, you also run a line from the converter to the billet plate.
it seems to work as i have one, but the idle is a bit funny, it will sit a bit too high for a bit, then go to normal.
not sure what the go is, ive never tried to tune it out.
it has alot to do with the actual tuning of the t/b - ie. the jets and idle mixtures

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

misk_one -> very interesting mate. My impco 425 setup in the EB s2 Xr8 has a billet looking plate for the isc to continue to control idle speed on it, so i take it that it looks something a little like that does.

I have a GRA 440 TB for my torry btw. Has manual adjustment for the idle settings.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]