Fordmods Logo

Gas system failed 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Gas system failed
Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:17 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Hi there,

I have an EB 4.0l on gas running IMPCO system. Last week the car backfired and now the gas wont work.

I replaced the converter, replaced the mixer with exact same models and the only way I can get the motor to fire up is when I press the little bladder in the the mixer as it allows gas to go into the throttle body.

My question is, is that little bladder inside the mixer supposed to to saty closed? I'm thinking it's supposed to stay open and I bought a dudd mixer because as I said when I press the bladder in the mixer it lets gas in the throttle body and it starts the car. It's the only way I can get it to start. Also whe the mixer is off, Should I be able to blow into the pipe where the gas comes in and have no retriction, or should it be air tight? Cause when I blow in there it wont let any air in, hence when the gas line installed it wont let any gas in.

Please hekp

Post subject: Re: Gas system failed
Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:04 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Maybe I over complicated my description. I want to know how the Impco 200m gas mixer works? If I blow into the pipe where the gas should go, the diaphram stays shut. My question is When I blow into the pipe where the gas goes in should the diaphram open?

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:33 am 
VIC Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: ed

VIC, Australia

take it to a mechanic.....

94 White ED Wagon
eaton M112 supercharger, lowered a tad, extractors, 2.5" exhaust, T5 , custom SureCam supercharger cam, 3.45 lokka, 2 piece tailshaft, poyair bags in the back, TSS front Skirt, Sprint skirts, XR wagon spoiler.
soon to get: AU diff, upc 330mm brakes, Vapor LPG injection.

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:17 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

I have been working on it with my brother, he is a fully qualified mechanic. He has worked on gas before but only sprintgas positive feed, he is not licenced for gas. I'm asking for any gas experts who know how the mixer works as I have an EF with a different setup a sprintas and we changed the engine in mine and redisgned the gas system to run like an AU, but its I think a positive feedback system, where as the EB with the impco is a negative feedback system I think. So I want to know how the mixer works on the impco as we both already know how the gas system works with the sprintgas.

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

lol tell your bro to go get qualified for gas - then he may actually become usefull!

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

I'm a licenced gas fitter. My advice is take the car to a licenced gas repairer.

You and your brother have no idea what you are doing, nor are you legally allowed to work on any part of an automotive gas installation.

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

tickford_6 wrote:
I'm a licenced gas fitter. My advice is take the car to a licenced gas repairer.

You and your brother have no idea what you are doing, nor are you legally allowed to work on any part of an automotive gas installation.

surely they are legally allowed to fill the car up at a bowser?

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:20 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

I did not start this post to argue nor to be insulted. I do agree that we should take it to a licenced gas fitter, which my cousin is, and we have been getting advice from him over the phone as he is out of state. We have a fair idea of what we are doing, just don't know wether to buy a new mixer or not, hence that is why I asked the question.

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:37 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Mitch_ wrote:
lol tell your bro to go get qualified for gas - then he may actually become usefull!

Well he is alot more useful than you. The only thing you are useful for is leaving sarcastic comments. Tell you what, Bring your car to any spot in melbourne, my brother will bring his car to the same spot, and munch you in a drag race with his VT GEN-III which he pulled out the engine, worked the hell out of it, to over 350kw, reworked his suspension and brakes. He attends and wins illegal drag races with his crew. I am no mechanic, I am a huge Ford fan and I hate Holdens, but there is nothing at those drags that have beaten his car, except for one time and I think it was one of those nissans 350z's with a hundred grand spent on it. He is the best mechanic I have ever seen, and I don't think you can compare yourself to him. You are talking to me, not to him. Like I said I am not a mechanic.

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:06 pm 
VIC Cruise Moderator

VIC, Australia

jibsta wrote:
Mitch_ wrote:

Well he is alot more useful than you. The only thing you are useful for is leaving sarcastic comments. Tell you what, Bring your car to any spot in melbourne, my brother will bring his car to the same spot, and munch you in a drag race with his VT GEN-III which he pulled out the engine, worked the hell out of it, to over 350kw, reworked his suspension and brakes. He attends and wins illegal drag races with his crew. I am no mechanic, I am a huge Ford fan and I hate Holdens, but there is nothing at those drags that have beaten his car, except for one time and I think it was one of those nissans 350z's with a hundred grand spent on it. He is the best mechanic I have ever seen, and I don't think you can compare yourself to him. You are talking to me, not to him. Like I said I am not a mechanic.

mate calm the ### down.

u asked a quetsion.. we said take it to a gas mechanic. if u want to keep playing with the gas setup and blow yourself up go for it.

gas in dangerous thats y you need a cert.

read this. :
http://www.fordmods.com/ford-lpg-hydrogen-hho-cng-conversions-f44/how-to-overhaul-impco-converter-t98043.html

94 White ED Wagon
eaton M112 supercharger, lowered a tad, extractors, 2.5" exhaust, T5 , custom SureCam supercharger cam, 3.45 lokka, 2 piece tailshaft, poyair bags in the back, TSS front Skirt, Sprint skirts, XR wagon spoiler.

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

Quote:

So is petrol!!

You only need a certificate because the governments brought in certification to stop dodgy work being done on car LPG systems. In the past a licensed mechanic was qualified to fix and repair LPG systems. Now I agree with tickford_6 these days you should take it to a certified LPG mechanic. However I don't see why people can't share a little info so people can get out of a jam. Nothing wrong with learning a bit about the mysteries of your car.

What amazes me is every time I see one of these threads it turns it a b**ch fight

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:02 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Ok, Thanks for the link, I read it. I understand it. I am going to put everything back together and get it toed to an LPG place. I am not one to play with fire and I beleive in bening professional. I really like this forum and have learned a lot form it. I agree with your point of view, but you could have gave me the info without the sarcasm or insult. Professional people do not belittle other people when they are trying to get help with something. I know that because of my trade. I am an IT Technician and if I were to insult somebody else, it would be unprofessional and rude. Sometimes being good at what you do is also about effective communication. You nearlly have that right, with the information you provided me, except for the sarcastic insult.

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

madmax wrote:
Quote:

So is petrol!!

You only need a certificate because the governments brought in certification to stop dodgy work being done on car LPG systems. In the past a licensed mechanic was qualified to fix and repair LPG systems. Now I agree with tickford_6 these days you should take it to a certified LPG mechanic. However I don't see why people can't share a little info so people can get out of a jam. Nothing wrong with learning a bit about the mysteries of your car.

What amazes me is every time I see one of these threads it turns it a b**ch fight

What amazes me is an attitude like yours.

Although I agree about the petrol. My best friend, who is a mechanic of 10 years, is currently laying in a hospital bed with burns to his face arms and chest, (%27 of his body) because of a intake backfire that spat a manifold full of petrol back at him.

But being a gas fitter and knowing the real dangers of LPG, petrol has nothing on LPG when it come to danger and a poor condtion has the potential to far more damage to property and people then a petrol system.

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Mitch_ wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:

surely they are legally allowed to fill the car up at a bowser?

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:28 pm 
VIC Cruise Moderator

VIC, Australia

jibsta wrote:
Ok, Thanks for the link, I read it. I understand it. I am going to put everything back together and get it toed to an LPG place. I am not one to play with fire and I beleive in bening professional. I really like this forum and have learned a lot form it. I agree with your point of view, but you could have gave me the info without the sarcasm or insult. Professional people do not belittle other people when they are trying to get help with something. I know that because of my trade. I am an IT Technician and if I were to insult somebody else, it would be unprofessional and rude. Sometimes being good at what you do is also about effective communication. You nearlly have that right, with the information you provided me, except for the sarcastic insult.

well as u know sometimes the best help is to find not do anything and take it to a pro

94 White ED Wagon

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next