Fordmods Logo

Gas tank removal 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Gas tank removal
Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:57 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ED2

NSW, Australia

G'day , I have an Impco system with triple scuba-type tanks on my EFwagon. If I wanted to remove the tank (which is about half full of gas) is there a shut-off tap/valve to stop the gas from leaking out while I disconnect and remove the tank ? Or do I have to empty the tank first ? thanks...Steve.

Post subject: Re: Gas tank removal
Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: EL F100 CAPRI XR EF

Power: 234 rwkw

SA, Australia

should be a box on the side of one cylinder, open it up and there will be a gas tap.

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:03 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

That's the box with all the ancillary stuff and the compliance-plate etc right ? thanks mate.....Steve.

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

BAMBANG wrote:
That's the box with all the ancillary stuff and the compliance-plate etc right ? thanks mate.....Steve.

Yeah, it will have a valve with on & off written on it. Turn it to off. Then start the car on LPG and wait until it stalls. That will use the gas up that is in the line.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:41 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Thanks mate but car won't start.!!! will have to let the gas in the lines go somehow.

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

I suggest that if you can't start the car, firstly if you can push the car to a large open area, say out in the street, do so. then shut the valve on the tank, and SLOWLY disconnect the gas line from the converter until you get a SLIGHT leak.

BE VERY CAREFULL, as lpg BURNS.

If the line is cracked slightly, it will give the gas time to disperse as it bleeds out. (leave the bonnet up)

Let the gas in the line escape, this could take ten minutes or more, if you only crack the line slightly.

don't let anybody smoke or light matches etc. in the area, and note that lpg is heavier than air, so it will tend to pool in the lowest areas.

LPG, expands to about 170 times its volume when in a gaseous state. That is one litre of liquid LPG becomes 170 litres of gas.

With your tank, once the line is empty, disconnect everything, undo the mounting bolts and lift the tank out. If it is still half full, it will be quite heavy.

Now, you can do a few things here. You can contact a lpg gas tank tester, as they have equipment to drain tanks, and take it to one of them. Or, you can do as I did: I live on a farm, so I took the tank waaayyyy out the back, opened it up slightly, and let it bleed out overnight. The only effect of that was a patch of dead (frozen) grass

I am sure that other ppl will have ideas too.

:D Good luck, LPG is effing dangerous stuff!!! :D :D

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:17 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Thanks Creeture.....did it pretty well as you described, but have left the tank in so far (until I find a buyer for the system !! ). Would it be OK you reckon to just leave the gas (about 75% full in the 46kg tank) in the tank until it gets fitted to another car ? cheers....Steve.

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Leaving the gas in the tank will be ok as long as you stick some warning label on it saying "heavy - has gas in the tank" or something along those lines, as they are mighty heavy with more than 1/2 a tank in them!

I have 2 in the back yard atm, with 3/4 a tank each. Both out of date, but still hold gas fine. I'm going to fit one to my Xr8 to use up the gas, as i think it's safer to let the engine burn it than let it out to the atmosphere, and most of my neighbors smoke, so i could blow someone up if i just let the gas out. Don't want to do that....

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]