Fordmods Logo

How to make up or source bits of gas line to plub stuff. 

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: How to make up or source bits of gas line to plub stuff.
Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

I have arranged to have an expert chech it out... but for the record, I have no sympathy for the fitters in wa... they rob people blind... half have shut up shop now that they can't rort the state gas grant anymore.. I also just got quoted 300 bucks to get my tank stamped if i take it out and drop it into them for a week and put it back in myself... wasnt long ago that cost 80 dollars, now apparently its so much work that its 300. Scumbags.

Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I have arranged to have an expert chech it out... but for the record, I have no sympathy for the fitters in wa... they rob people blind... half have shut up shop now that they can't rort the state gas grant anymore.. I also just got quoted 300 bucks to get my tank stamped if i take it out and drop it into them for a week and put it back in myself... wasnt long ago that cost 80 dollars, now apparently its so much work that its 300. Scumbags.

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:25 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: XF 5 LIT P/ VAN EF 5 LIT FUTURA

VIC, Australia

That is a bit rich. But be careful with S/H copper & fittings if you like I will make up a new one to your sample for the cost of the flare nuts & postage only, I have heaps of 5/16 gas copper and I am a licensed fitter. Pity I am in Vic. This offer is open to anyone, as I would rather do this than hear of someone being blown up. If you want it in a size I do not have I will still do it just you will also be up for the line. No labor. Regards TPVM.

SALT IS FOR RACING ON. SAUCE IS FOR FISH & CHIPS.

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:33 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Sorry, one thing I did forget is that you must use either Yellow teflon tape or Loktite 377 sealer on all your fittings 377 is the only sealer that is rated to the required pressure. Regards TPVM.

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

The Panel Van Man wrote:
I totally agree, people just do not understand what the f**k they are playing with it does and will go BANG. Leave the high pressure side to the experts, For instance you cannot reuse copper line or any brass fittings it becomes "work" hardened. There should be a Disclaimer as a Sticky on this FORUM to that effect. Regards TPVM.

The really s**t thing is there seems to be some licensed fitters that don't give a s**t too.
Had a car com into work today to get a cert for Road worthy / rego. copper service line runs with in 50mm of the headers and 'heat shield' is touching the service line.

the car before that had copper line passing through panel with no grommet or protection of any kind.

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:14 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

The Panel Van Man wrote:
Sorry, one thing I did forget is that you must use either Yellow teflon tape or Loktite 377 sealer on all your fittings 377 is the only sealer that is rated to the required pressure. Regards TPVM.

^^^^Typo ???
AFAIK Loctite 567 is fine to use - quite surprising how bad a bare fine thread fitting can leak without extra sealing.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ashcook wrote:
I was told off two LPG installers to never use any type of tape or sealer.

Need to use sealer on NPT fittings, but not on flare fittings. I've never seen an NPT thread seal with out sealer.

Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:53 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Sorry Ash I did mean 577 and no 567 is not OK it does not have a high enough pressure rating to pass aust standard 1425. You do have to read the fine print. It may work but is not the right stuff. Regards Alan TPVM.

Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Ash's piece was a perfect fit end for end.. however the pipe is about 7cm too long and as stiff as a board (ie work hardened)

It will however allow me to test the system to make sure the new converter works, and then I may take up mr "The Panel Van Man"'s kind offer...

I have a friend who is a licensed air-con fitter and offered to make me the pipe, but I'm guessing that the grade of materials they use is for lower pressures?

I didn't think brass fittings would be an issue, but I know copper gets naffed..

Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:01 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

I do not use Teflon myself but if you look at all the valves in the tank they are usually done with Yellow Teflon tape. There are not many Sealers that pass the Aust Standard 1425 for LPG install's in AUST & NZ. Be careful. Regards TPVM.

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Interesting results...

I hooked it all up today to see if it was all working and the answer is no...

Whipping out my trusty multimeter shows there is no power at all at the solenoid on top of the converter so now the problem looks electrical.

If I disconnect the converter from the gas cut-off, and turn the ignition on with the gas turned on.. there is a little puff of gas and then it stops...

Putting the multimeter on the engine bay cut-off solenoid shows a little spike of voltage before dropping down to zero again. I don't know if that is a safety feature caused by a too sudden drop in pressure (because the converter isn't there) or if the electrics have a problem.

There was gas coming though the rest of the system fine though I think.

I don't regret replacing the converter though cos the old one was at least 10 years old and was very corroded and nasty looking .

I've found a wiring schematic online which seems to match the modules I have here so I can go though and check everything.. known my luck it's probably something stupid like a fuse on one of the modules.

Incidently, I have my gas fitter mate making me a new gas line from cut-off to converter including all the brass bits.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2