Fordmods Logo

How to overhaul IMPCO converter?? 

Page 2 of 6 [ 87 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Re: How to overhaul IMPCO converter??
Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Fairmont Ghia & TS Magna

NSW, Australia

some people are just more interested in saving money then keeping themselves and others safe.

Unqualified people and mechanics should not play with gas but the urge to save a dollar here or there will always win over common sense.

I don't know what to write in here LOL
Bear's Build Thread

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

whinge whine. i do have half an idea of what i am doin. have done an LPG course at tafe

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Last edited by 89.SVO on Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU falcon

VIC, Australia

does that give you a licence? we will all be waiting when the "wildeb" goes up in flames.

Au factory 5sp, rolling on 20'z, full custom extractors, redback cat and back. has a new motors, only 27,000ks

Welcome to Toongabbie motorsports :P

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Fairmont Ghia & TS Magna

NSW, Australia

Aint having a whinge or whine just stating facts and if my facts upset you and make you think I having a whinge it may be time for you to grow up :roll:

Someone with half an idea shouldn't be working on something they ain't qualified to do

I don't know what to write in here LOL
Bear's Build Thread

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WILDEB wrote:
whinge whine. i do half half an idea of what i am doin. have done an LPG course at tafe

that makes it worse, you know only have half an idea, and you've done course at tafe, good for you........

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:05 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
Denislovesit wrote:
Anyone got any pics of an IMPCO coverter apart?
I have attached a pic of my set up...all I know is it has an IMPCO 200 mixer, don't know about the converter using 28L/100km LPG...and the car gets as hot as the sun!
Why do you think pulling apart your converter will help you? Has the tune been checked & found that no matter where you set the converter & mixer it runs like crap? Has the car's petrol diag been run to see if anything is astray on that side of things? Faulty petrol components like o2 or map will cause issues running on LPG.
Funny, I was thinking the same thing when I started to read this thread.
+1 with the safety and compliance - I do some LPG work, but my compliancer always checks what I do, as mentioned, yes it's his neck on the line, so you try to make sure the work is done properly.
Still, the installers on here put me straight on a few things, so I appreciate the advice, and that advice was free.
I'm not sure why others on here ignore such advice, or even bad mouth those who've tried to give that advice . . . very strange.
Denislovesit wrote:
upon further inspection I have decided the convertor will require replacement. more cost/time effective.
I think letting someone qualified look at the system and recommend what needs doing would be more cost/time effective - it's your money though I guess. . . .

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
ToranaGuy wrote:
Denislovesit wrote:
Anyone got any pics of an IMPCO coverter apart?
I have attached a pic of my set up...all I know is it has an IMPCO 200 mixer, don't know about the converter using 28L/100km LPG...and the car gets as hot as the sun!
Why do you think pulling apart your converter will help you? Has the tune been checked & found that no matter where you set the converter & mixer it runs like crap? Has the car's petrol diag been run to see if anything is astray on that side of things? Faulty petrol components like o2 or map will cause issues running on LPG.
Funny, I was thinking the same thing when I started to read this thread.
+1 with the safety and compliance - I do some LPG work, but my compliancer always checks what I do, as mentioned, yes it's his neck on the line, so you try to make sure the work is done properly.
Still, the installers on here put me straight on a few things, so I appreciate the advice, and that advice was free.
I'm not sure why others on here ignore such advice, or even bad mouth those who've tried to give that advice . . . very strange.
Denislovesit wrote:
upon further inspection I have decided the convertor will require replacement. more cost/time effective.
I think letting someone qualified look at the system and recommend what needs doing would be more cost/time effective - it's your money though I guess. . . .

I know what you mean Snap, I do work on my LPG systems myself (like changing filters and replacing vapor lines when required) but I have always asked many questions before I do anything. I always get the opinion of a qualified LPG guy before anything get's done.

Recently discussing an issue I have with the injectors maxing out, the LPG guy come to the same idea that I had, after discussing, and showing him my tune tables and injector duty cycles, my service line is too small @ 6mm id. Rest of the system should easily support a lot more power than I'm making, like about 70rwkw more, except my service line is strangling it. I hope to get that issue solved over the summer time.

I'm not a mechanic or LPG fitter by trade but I do constantly get mechanics asking me if I am because of what I have done/know about car's......

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:55 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

I think the difference is for us is that if we're corrected by someone who is more qualified and experienced, we take our mistake on the chin, and take on board the advice.
It's the wise thing to do. Then you gain more knowledge, and you can pass it on - I think it gives you credibility, and people can tell that.
Alternatively, I've read many threads on here where people won't accept that, and they'll spend a lot of time crapping on to save face.
Quite often, they'll dig their own hole deeper.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:20 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: XF 5 LIT P/ VAN EF 5 LIT FUTURA

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the support Snap. I just had a thought the original question was how to overhaul an Impco converter, the answer is very simple TAKE IT TO A GAS FITTER AND GET HIM TO DO IT. Every one in this world has to pay some one for some thing. I do not fix dishwashers, he doesn't fix cars and so on.
As the Sign in PAPPA'S PIZZA said PAPPA don't cash cheques the bank don't make PIZZA'S each to his own TRADE. Regards TPVM.

SALT IS FOR RACING ON. SAUCE IS FOR FISH & CHIPS.

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:52 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

No probs Alan - that licence takes time, education, experience to get - not to mention money also.
There are those on here that treat it like it's a game, through their ignorance.

I'm not sure why the thread originator didn't tap into Tickford's and your knowledge - after all, it's free and could've more than likely saved the expense of a converter rebuild.

Actually, why did he post when he already 'knew' what the problem is ??

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Any LPG place I have ever asked about rebuilding converters simply tell me to throw it away & get a new one, as it's not economical to rebuild them. For some converters that is true, for other's it's not so much, but we are such a throw away society these days.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

or most gas people these days only know how to fit gas systems, not work on them or tune them. it took myself to figure out why my gas kept backfiring. no gas joint around here knew how to fix it or wanted the car the whole day to test s**t. so i left them the car, they put in new plugs and gas leads. picked the car up after $400! driving it home and it did it again. went back and all the guy said was "stop accelerating harsh and it won't do it". thats s**t, i should be able to. i thought it out and put it down too it leaning out on snap WOT. richened up a bit and guess what. fixed the problem.
so all in all. i'll continue to work on my own gas system thank you

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

WILDEB wrote:
or most gas people these days only know how to fit gas systems, not work on them or tune them

which is the end result of the $2000 rebate, along with the price of parts going through the roof.(simple mixer kit for a AU falcon Is over $1200 trade price depending on who you buy from and cheaper kits just don't have the quality)
To many cowboys want to chash in, do 5 day tafe coures and think they know everything there is to know. Most of them wouldn't know how to size a mixer, let alone know how to tune.
Some of the garbage I get through my shop is unbelievable, and it only ever ends up costing the owners more to money to 'fix' what is basicly still a new system. Then we end up with people like you who have been burnt by the usless rebate chashers, and form the opinion that all gas fitters are crap and you illegally do the work your self. For you guys it's harder to find a good place, because every around ever third corner is an other gas place, all trying to undercut the next guy, quality of parts and workmanship suffers and the cars run like crap.
At least in my town i'm one of only three installers. Lets me charge what the job is actually worth which then lets me take the time thats needed to do a quality install.

For the most part A new converter is cheaper then a rebuilt kit and the labour to rebuild it. For small 4cyl engines i can sell a new complex converter for $130
for larger engines up to 5L I can sell a complex converter $280 both of those include the frieght I get charged to get stuff up here. Buy the time you strip, clean, rebuild and test an old converter the cost goes over $300,

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

tickford_6,

Some good points there mate. IN vic, you don't have to be a fully qualified mechanic to do the gas fitting course thru tafe, which might help explain why there are so many fitters out there who can't tune them for s**t. I have come across more than a few myself.

Having said that, I have found 2 workshops that are able to not only install but also tune them, and tune them good, but there are 2 problems with these workshops. First is they are booked out weeks in advance all the time, and the second is they don't like playing with systems they have not installed there-self, probably due to poor hardware & workmanship getting around out there.

WildEB,

Your qualified now arn't you(mechanic)? You should look into going to do the tafe course & get certified for LPG, you could probably make some good coin on the side tuning & repairing the s**t work the other installers are doing!

I seriously looked into doing the aptitude test so I could then do the LPG course, not to be another "cowboy" in the game, but so I could work on my own systems & do a few legal repairs, there are many workshops around my area in the car game, not many in the LPG game & only 2 that are good at it. Problem is I can't afford that much time off paid employment at this stage..............

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

who are the 2 in your area that are good installer/tuners mate?

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 6  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next