Fordmods Logo

How to overhaul IMPCO converter?? 

Page 3 of 6 [ 87 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Re: How to overhaul IMPCO converter??
Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
tickford_6,

Some good points there mate. IN vic, you don't have to be a fully qualified mechanic to do the gas fitting course thru tafe, which might help explain why there are so many fitters out there who can't tune them for s**t. I have come across more than a few myself.

Having said that, I have found 2 workshops that are able to not only install but also tune them, and tune them good, but there are 2 problems with these workshops. First is they are booked out weeks in advance all the time, and the second is they don't like playing with systems they have not installed there-self, probably due to poor hardware & workmanship getting around out there.

WildEB,

Your qualified now arn't you(mechanic)? You should look into going to do the tafe course & get certified for LPG, you could probably make some good coin on the side tuning & repairing the s**t work the other installers are doing!

I seriously looked into doing the aptitude test so I could then do the LPG course, not to be another "cowboy" in the game, but so I could work on my own systems & do a few legal repairs, there are many workshops around my area in the car game, not many in the LPG game & only 2 that are good at it. Problem is I can't afford that much time off paid employment at this stage..............

Cheers

ToranaGuy

yes i am fully qualified now. i am considering doin a LPG and roadworthy course

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

WILDEB wrote:
yes i am fully qualified now. i am considering doin a LPG and roadworthy course

Do em man, you won't look back!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ToranaGuy wrote:
tickford_6,

Some good points there mate. IN vic, you don't have to be a fully qualified mechanic to do the gas fitting course thru tafe, which might help explain why there are so many fitters out there who can't tune them for s**t. I have come across more than a few myself.

Having said that, I have found 2 workshops that are able to not only install but also tune them, and tune them good, but there are 2 problems with these workshops. First is they are booked out weeks in advance all the time, and the second is they don't like playing with systems they have not installed there-self, probably due to poor hardware & workmanship getting around out there.

I didn't want to bring it again, but the worst stuff always seems to come out of VIC. Even stuff that is only a few years old. It's hard to explain to people why there gas system needs fixing when it's just been installed by a "professional" in VIC. It's even harder to get them to sign the defect notice when they refuse to have it repaired.

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:54 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: XF 5 LIT P/ VAN EF 5 LIT FUTURA

VIC, Australia

Funny that, the fact that there seems to be more crap in Vic, we do have a higher Gas per population usage than other States may be that has attracted low cost suppliers trying to cash in. To Wild EB when you said you Do your own Gas work you forgot to mention you are at least a qualified Mechanic not just some kid off the street. As Torana guy said do the course, but you do not really learn until you start installing full time. The course is a bit like getting your drivers license it means you can drive but you still have a lot to learn. You can never have too many qualifications, just some you do not use. To all that have read & participated in this thread I hope us "EXPERTS" have persuaded you to think very carefully before you crack that nut. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL. Regards TPVM.

SALT IS FOR RACING ON. SAUCE IS FOR FISH & CHIPS.

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Wise words there TPVM. Victoria could always use another gas installer who IS a qualified mechanic & know's how to tune & troubleshoot engines!

Higher per capita use would mean there are more chances for poor installs.

Jaysway, Rapidflow is one, the other I can't remember the name of, but I know a few ppl who go there for servicing & installs, all have good things to say, and all their work I have seen has been top notch, no corners cut, using top quality hardware. Car's always running really good.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yes i did forget to mention that i'm qualified. my bad. i will defenantly go for my LPG and roady ticket. my old man just qualified to and is gunna go for his roady and LPG tickets. i'll go for mine when he goes for his. then there will be 2 more experience and non dodgy gas guys in vic :D

Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WILDEB wrote:
yes i did forget to mention that i'm qualified. my bad. i will defenantly go for my LPG and roady ticket. my old man just qualified to and is gunna go for his roady and LPG tickets. i'll go for mine when he goes for his. then there will be 2 more experience and non dodgy gas guys in vic :D

don't mean to be an a***, but at 21 you don't have experience.

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
WILDEB wrote:

don't mean to be an a***, but at 21 you don't have experience.

except for 6 years of training already and been around cars since i could walk

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Like I said, You don't have experience. in a few years you'll understand what i'm telling you.

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
Like I said, You don't have experience. in a few years you'll understand what i'm telling you.

He couldn't do a worse job than a lot of the lpg fitters out there who are not mechanics. He has the building blocks, and with that can get the next building blocks & move forward.

We all start somewhere, and starting from a working knowledge of car's gives him a huge head start over people that thought, "hey, let's go get my gas certificate & do quick dodgy installs to make some quick money"..... lol

I'm 28, been playing with car's since I could walk also, yes I have done a lot, but I will always be learning new things. Do I have experience? Yes, but not as much as some ppl out there, but with time it will grow.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ToranaGuy wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:

He couldn't do a worse job than a lot of the lpg fitters out there who are not mechanics. He has the building blocks, and with that can get the next building blocks & move forward.

We all start somewhere, and starting from a working knowledge of car's gives him a huge head start over people that thought, "hey, let's go get my gas certificate & do quick dodgy installs to make some quick money"..... lol

I'm 28, been playing with car's since I could walk also, yes I have done a lot, but I will always be learning new things. Do I have experience? Yes, but not as much as some ppl out there, but with time it will grow.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

thats my point. He's done some training and learnt the basics of the trade, Only time will give experience. Depending on where and who he works with will determine how much experience he gets and how quickly.

The other thing right now is over the next few years we are going to see some BIG changes in engines and engine management. I've seen some of whats coming,
Gone will be the days of a coolent temp based thermostat, It's already going electronic, Diagnosing the cause of overheating will not be able to be done with scan tools.
staged injection and throttle usage, mean low rpm/low power will be direct injection with stratified charge and the throttle being %100 open all the time. High rpm/high power and it will revert back to manifold multi point homogeneous charge and throttle usage as we know it now.

there is one euro manufacturer that is using cam timing to achieve EGR.

Multi plug and variable plug gap, (the ground electrode is part of the piston) with usable gaps up to 10mm

Spark plugs that are also high pressure air injectors that blast air into the chamber to achieve the correct swirl for any given operating condition.

Variable valve lift where each valve is independent, Two intake valves in one chamber where they can lift one valve or the other faster and higher to achieve swirl, then both on high lift for peak power and both at low lift. Combined with independent infinitely variable cam timing.

We'll have engines that run leaner then 20:1

Exhaust systems will be fitted with NOx filters as such lean mixures sends NOx through the roof.

Exhaust after treatment (aka urea injecting) will find it's way into passenger diesel and then petrol cars.

The industry is moving faster then any of us can keep up with, let alone afford to the new tooling and other diagnostic and repair items.

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Yeah there is some very interesting developements going on right now, but a lot of those will be 5 to 15 years away from the average passenger car. Heavy Diesel's have only recently got urea injection, and yes Nox filters will have to be fit to car's to run that lean. They will also have to be regularly replaced like cat converters to achieve their goal.

I don't see urea injection working on passenger vehicles, just like factory water/meth injection, people forget to fill it up & it causes all sorts of problems. To store a big enough quantity would add a lot of weight to a vehicle.

I honestly think there will be more of a move to smaller capacity engines and boosting them first. Time will tell what will happen.

Anyway, that's way too OT for this thread..... Back on track, experience will be earnt & learnt as WildEB goes. It's the only way. For the next probably 5 years or so, not too much will be changing in regards to the vehicles he will be exposed to....

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
Yeah there is some very interesting developements going on right now, but a lot of those will be 5 to 15 years away from the average passenger car. Heavy Diesel's have only recently got urea injection, and yes Nox filters will have to be fit to car's to run that lean. They will also have to be regularly replaced like cat converters to achieve their goal.

I don't see urea injection working on passenger vehicles, just like factory water/meth injection, people forget to fill it up & it causes all sorts of problems. To store a big enough quantity would add a lot of weight to a vehicle.

I honestly think there will be more of a move to smaller capacity engines and boosting them first. Time will tell what will happen.

Anyway, that's way too OT for this thread..... Back on track, experience will be earnt & learnt as WildEB goes. It's the only way. For the next probably 5 years or so, not too much will be changing in regards to the vehicles he will be exposed to....

Cheers

ToranaGuy

indeed i will learn. much quicker if the EB keeps up it's game it's been playing of late

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:42 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: XF 5 LIT P/ VAN EF 5 LIT FUTURA

VIC, Australia

Like I said it's like getting your car license it gets you behind the wheel then you learn how to drive. We all continue to learn 45 years experience will nearly all ways beat youth and enthusiasm but keep at it. Regards Alan TPVM.

SALT IS FOR RACING ON. SAUCE IS FOR FISH & CHIPS.

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:57 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF Futura wagon, BF MKIII Wagon

QLD, Australia

After some surfing, found what I was looking for - exploded diagrams.

Ended up stripping the converter - nothing wrong with it - just needs a kit - good times!

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 6  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next