Fordmods Logo

How to overhaul IMPCO converter?? 

Page 5 of 6 [ 87 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Re: How to overhaul IMPCO converter??
Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:01 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: XF 5 LIT P/ VAN EF 5 LIT FUTURA

VIC, Australia

Don't get us wrong LPG is safe. It's just to keep it safe it needs trained hands to work on the high pressure side. To all that read this thread to quote the old TV Cop Show Hill Street Blues, Let's keep it safe out there! MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL,TPVM.

SALT IS FOR RACING ON. SAUCE IS FOR FISH & CHIPS.

Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
Good idea, pity though you'll never know the economy and performance of LPG injection.

I like this one & can back it up with the economy, when mine is working, it's about $40 a fill & so close to petrol power you can't tell the difference in the drivers seat, atm I have not got my current issue sorted & I'm blowing about $80 a week on running around, where I'd be spending about $30 on LPG.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:58 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EA Falcon S pack now 4.0l

NSW, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
Good idea, pity though you'll never know the economy and performance of LPG injection.

I had a mate who had a au 3 on gas and he would use 45 over 2 weeks driving everywhere so i no its good but yea... ill leave that one for the pros maybe in the ute i buy for work it will be a good idea

1990 ea ford falcon getting ready for boost.

2000 Ford Courier 2.5l Turbo Diesel

YZ250 2009

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:17 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF Futura wagon, BF MKIII Wagon

QLD, Australia

ok folks....a happy ending to this thread

last minute change of mind saw me rebuilding the converter after all. I did get a new convertor but I would had have to modify the fuel delivery line etc....wasn't into that...so I returned it, got a kit and am glad I did...that's all that it needed..

To cut a long story short, convertor and mixer kits done, vapour hose replaced. Thats all I did. Convertor was caked inside with black tar, but I figured out a way to remove this and restore the cast alloy finish to like new. Obviously a professional wouldn't bother as it took a fair amount of labour..

now to the results:-

consumption on petrol: 14.5L/100km (this is quite good considering its a 300K motor and the auto needs servicing/adjusting)

consumption on LPG (before): 28L/100km (mixed city/highway)

consumption on LPG (after): 17.14L/100km (mixed city/highway)

absolutely overjoyed with these results. worn/torn diaphrams the culprits.

still pulls strongly on LPG although there may be times where I'll need petrol for the heavier towing loads i.e. 5 x motorcycles! Mid range is a bit flat...haven't even looked at the tune of the motor yet...although compression test done - 6 x 195 PSI :D

The happy ending is that I bought this vehicle unregistered, and it has cost me a total of $375 to get the LPG system back online.

400km to a 68L lpg tank @ 62c/L......awesome!

BTW - I noticed that there has been a 10c/L spike in LPG prices in Brisbane just recently (was 59.9c/L). Was there a tax imposed?

BP Autogas rewards program (http://www.bpautogas.com.au) provides 2c off per litre. So I got a list of all the stations in my areas of travel, called around and kept some stats of their prices. Have worked out the cheapest ones (yes, their prices vary substantially) and now I am paying on average 62c/L.

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:46 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Professionals DO bother and it's called carby clean. Professionals also know what causes it but probably won't tell you. Regards TPVM.

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Denislovesit wrote:

To cut a long story short, convertor and mixer kits done, vapour hose replaced. Thats all I did. Convertor was caked inside with black tar, but I figured out a way to remove this and restore the cast alloy finish to like new. Obviously a professional wouldn't bother as it took a fair amount of labour..

No we have more efficient ways of doing it that ends up in stripping it, tanking it and hosing it off with water. quick spray down with carby/throttle body cleaner and its clean.

But the reality of it is, 90% of the time It's cheaper in the end to fit a new converter. The only reason I even keep the cleaning fluid is it also does the same job on carburetors.

I do need to ask though, how did you leak test the fittings? and what sealer did you use on the tapper threads?

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

wow. look at that. a "non qualified gas fitter" fixed his own gas problem and he didn't end up blowing up and killing us all. who would of thought :lol:

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

WILDEB wrote:
wow. look at that. a "non qualified gas fitter" fixed his own gas problem and he didn't end up blowing up and killing us all. who would of thought :lol:

lol man, yeah it would "seem" that he did, but from the other side of the internet we don't know if he has not created other issues like a gas leak for instance.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:34 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF Futura wagon, BF MKIII Wagon

QLD, Australia

you guys and your assumptions really crack me up... :lol:

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

fair enough too ToranaGuy. i was just being a smart a**. looks like it all went well

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

WILDEB wrote:
fair enough too ToranaGuy. i was just being a smart a**. looks like it all went well

Yeah went well in that his car is running properly. But is it free of leaks and was the right sealer used so that no leaks occur in the future.

Imagine for a second, there is leak in the service line, he parks the car in a shed or garage over night, the gas leaks out, in the morning someone opens the door and turns a light on, the spark created in the light switch ignites the gas and BOOM someone is dead.

These are the situations that you back yarders don't think about, All you can think about is your wallet.

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:29 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
I do need to ask though, how did you leak test the fittings? and what sealer did you use on the tapper threads?
Yeah, I'd like to see this answered, but since he's ignored most of the other points put forward in this thread, most likely this will be a non reply too.

A big thing to all jobs is the housekeeping aspect - correct tools, materials, etc.
Good thing these guys pointed out I was using the wrong spec Loctite paste.

I remember asking about the urethane a user was using to fit fixed glass - turns out he was using Sikaflex 227, which is not for use on glass - it's only for panels, etc.
Sure it will most likely do the job, but you can never tell what will happen, particularly in a car accident.
Similar scenario here too.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
All you can think about is your wallet.

Sorry but it has to be said. How about you share what sealant to use? Or are you thinking about your wallet too?

Two or three professionals posting in the thread and none with advice as to what to use. I've seen "professionals" do some pretty dodgy work and though I don't know this bloke from a bar of soap i'm sure he took every precaution he could to make sure he didn't blow himself up. Posting fear messages rather than helpful advice isn't going to solve much.

Do you hate on people playing with their Petrol system?

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:49 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Go to the LPG forum and read through 'Show us your Gas Injection'.

These guys have been posting very useful information - sealant has been covered, along with many other things.
I think it's getting a bit monotonous people taking shots at them for being $$$, considering what they've given back to this forum.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:18 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

As Snap said the correct sealer is Locktite 272 might be a bit dear for you guys, it costs about 25.00 a tube. The reason we don't offer advice when someone is playing on the high pressure side is because you do not know who will read it and start pulling things apart they know nothing about, that's where the danger lies. Regards TPVM.

Sort by  
 Page 5 of 6  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next